Jim

Mysterious, substantial, improvement in radio signal..?

Here's one to puzzle over.

My Corrado has always had rubbish radio signal - a common problem I know. I listen to Radio 4 most of the time (let the mocking begin) and always struggled getting a good signal no matter where I was.

I recently had the Corrado disconnected from it's battery and had the whole front end off for over a week whilst I put in a new radiator. Got the car all back together last week and since then my radio has suddenly become like an NSA listening post - I can tune in to a thousand local stations I never even realised existed, and all the national stations come in as sharp as I've ever heard. What on earth happened? I'm sure it's nothing to do with JUST the battery disconnection - I've had the car off the battery many times in the years I've owned it.

Any thoughts?!

No idea , but I hope you get an answer as I always struggle with the poor reception, tried various boosters, new ariel, just never gets very good

Maybe you cleaned up an earth connection whilst you were doing the work and that helped?

Possibly a better earth connection to the battery or you have moved cable without realising that has now made better contact. Has the car been garaged over the last week while off the road. If so the black box on the roof may have dried out. Water got into the black box on my old 16V, stopping the amplifier from working.

Maybe you cleaned up an earth connection whilst you were doing the work and that helped?

I wondered that, however we didn't really touch anything round the back of the engine - only right at the very front. Certainly is a baffler :)

mine is non existent, been thinking of trying a DAB head unit, was wondering about it today actually on my drive to work

Perhaps,one of the earths on the battery was the earth to the aerial booster !

When I replaced my aerial base my radio (which is over 12 years old) also turned into a listening post !

But seriously Jim RADIO 4

Have a word with yourself

But seriously Jim RADIO 4

Have a word with yourself

No radio stations play my kind of music, so I settle for being informed about world affairs and politics ;)

I'm definitely in an fm radio dead spot near me, up until recently DAB was also so bad I didn't bother replacing a little home DAB set I had bought bought a dirt cheap FM one instead (I think it's because I'm in between 3 main transmitter areas), with the turning off of analogue TV some other signals have been boosted which seems to have affected some transmissions, might not be your issue Jim but I do notice major stations vary in signal strength from location to location a lot.

I think my aerial amp might be fried again too though, reception also not helped by the crappy head unit in my 8v, you could try disconnecting the power to your roof aerial amp and seeing if the same pattern of poor reception comes back?

Oh, and I listen to 4 a lot in the car too Jim, commercial radio is appauling and Radio 1 has too much pointless and poor talking, at least with 4 in the morning and evening commute I get to hear something about the world that's usually interesting, program on fracking the other day on the way home :)

Edited by davidwort

No radio stations play my kind of music, so I settle for being informed about world affairs and politics ;)

What kind of music do you listen to? I thought the beeb had it all covered these days...... one way or another.

What kind of music do you listen to? I thought the beeb had it all covered these days...... one way or another.

I tend to lean towards electronica, dance type stuff most of the time. But am just picky. I hate having to listen to stuff I don't like on the chance that stuff I do like might come on.. would rather just put my own music on, or listen to talk radio :)

Sound like me, except I've not quite got as far as turning to R4. I just have my ipod in the car at all time, and pretty much never listen to the radio. I have the TA on in case of traffic jams etc but other than that it's all there in that little shiny box!

Jim, try 6 Music if you can get it. Love Gilles Peterson's shows- a really ecclectic mix of electronica/hip hop/jazz funk etc, both old and new 8)

Been listening to bbc 6 streaming the last few months.... What a revelation!!! Never ever thought there could be such a radio station!!! Wish I could get it in the corrado ...

Jim, try 6 Music if you can get it. Love Gilles Peterson's shows- a really ecclectic mix of electronica/hip hop/jazz funk etc, both old and new 8)

Hm - will have to hunt it out. Presumably you can get 6 Music on DAB too.. maybe time to invest in a DAB head unit for the Corrado.