Roger Chatfield

Rog's Rado... The smile is back :)

I was going to say that I will keep my fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong with it!

I reckon your Corrado and Jim's Corrado are twins!!

glad its sorted. And i reiterate earlier sentiments of sticking with it. Its just one of these things with older cars. Look at it this way, the amount you've spent is probably a fraction of what it would have cost to repair a newer car, and you've probably learned a huge amunt too.

My friend has a 2003 merc 270D, cost him £800 just to replace the power steering pump!

10 out of 10 for staying with it and spending the time and money that you have.

Unfortunately, in my opinion you bought a lemon which needed more work than you anticipated.

Hopefully the end is in sight and you can soon start to enjoy driving it.

Hardly a lemon. Was a cracking car that had wanted for nothing. Had all the right mods and chains, cams etc done by Stealth. Loads of receipts etc. Running really well when sold. Unfortunately Rog has been incredibly unlucky. I've been genuinely gutted for him reading through all this. I really loved this car and I was really happy it went to Rog, as I knew he'd look after it. Nobody could've seen this grief coming, as its history was spot on, always serviced correctly etc.

Anyways, well done Rog, sounds like it's sorted now, and I'm sure it will be better than ever 8)

Yes, as above, deffo not a lemon, I was and still am very happy with the car, yes I've been unlucky but it's a 18 year old car and I guess the odd problem will happen.

Yes, engine failure is a slightly big problem but I'll be honest, due to the help, support and generosity of this forum all it's really cost me is my time.... and sanity.. lol, I've also been lucky with a near fresh build engine coming up 40 miles away.

As 'Stormy' now stands it's got a 20k engine and a 10k gearbox, should be good for another 18 years... Just needs another set of 263's..

BTW, thanks for all the advice, support and encouragement guys, gotta love this forum.

Rog.

You really have a great attitude considering what you have been through already Rog. I have to agree with you the "Lemon" comment is not really a fair comment to make especially without knowing the history of the car.Really glad you got sorted matey you really got stuck in and didn't let it get you down :salute:

Sorry Cazza, but the car was a lemon, as it's a second hand car that, once bought turns out to have serious faults. And I'd say a total engine failure is a serious fault.

The fact that it had mods and was looked after makes no difference. The question I would ask is why when the cams were done wasn't it discovered by whoever did the work that the engine would be, or could be full of debris from the upper tensioner failure?

Problem with people on this forum is that no one seems to want to tell the truth and say things as they are. Very clicky-clicky.

Contrary to the popular belief, Corrado's are not unreliable, they just suffer from bad owners or badly perfomed repairs and maintainance.

However, now that Rog is doing the work himself, he can at least ensure it is done right and hopefully have a reliable Corrado that he'll be able to enjoy for many miles.

Hardly a lemon. Was a cracking car that had wanted for nothing. Had all the right mods and chains, cams etc done by Stealth. Loads of receipts etc. Running really well when sold. Unfortunately Rog has been incredibly unlucky. I've been genuinely gutted for him reading through all this. I really loved this car and I was really happy it went to Rog, as I knew he'd look after it. Nobody could've seen this grief coming, as its history was spot on, always serviced correctly etc.

Anyways, well done Rog, sounds like it's sorted now, and I'm sure it will be better than ever 8)

Its not a lemon, its a 20 year old car, they break, most break to the point they're scrapped long before. We buy these cars because we like to tinker and learn as we go.

As others have said, you deserve a little break from the spanners now Rog, fingers crossed for you ;)

Yes, as above, deffo not a lemon, I was and still am very happy with the car, yes I've been unlucky but it's a 18 year old car and I guess the odd problem will happen.

Yes, engine failure is a slightly big problem but I'll be honest, due to the help, support and generosity of this forum all it's really cost me is my time.... and sanity.. lol, I've also been lucky with a near fresh build engine coming up 40 miles away.

As 'Stormy' now stands it's got a 20k engine and a 10k gearbox, should be good for another 18 years... Just needs another set of 263's..

BTW, thanks for all the advice, support and encouragement guys, gotta love this forum.

Rog.

good result Rog. It shows dedication & getting stuck in really can have its benefits

Super quick fitting mate , glad it's all going well . One day I will be able to get up to see you , when we arnt both working lol . . I picked up some G13 too .

What sorta G13 we talking? :afro:

What sorta G13 we talking? :afro:

The coolant kind :D

It's the latest blend to add more lubricants, following a spate of premature water pump failures in recent VAG engines.

Well done for sticking through it, I too had my engine go in an old VR6 I had (paid good money too, still disgruntled with myself!) Was going to do it but felt out my depth with it. Will be spot on once done though.

As for the G13, i'm about to do my coolant ready for winter, is this the stuff I need?

G13 is all you can get. The latest number always supersedes the old stuff and is definitely the stuff you should use.

Thanks Kev

Adam

Yep.... its broke again... really starting to get me down now, I'm by nature an optimistic person but this thing is really testing me.

So, I drive home from work this morning and all is good, just before I get home I notice a noise, turn the stereo down and its now sounding like a diesel, get it home and go to bed...

Start up later this morning and all is good, then once it gets hot it starts rattling.

Here is a vid.

th_MVI_4643_zps34e23cb4.mp4

Seems to be coming from the chain end but I can't be sure, I'm thinking tensioner although it is a brand new one.

Any idea's fella's.

Rog.

As the noise is only there when hot I'd check the oil pressure

Re , phone call just now . I don't believe it !!! Does sound rough mate . Really testing times for you now .

Hot oil pressure at idle should be 2 bar with a 10W/40 oil. 4 bar when cold. Pressure should rise to about 4 bar at 2000rpm iirc. 1.5 bar won't set the pressure warning buzzer off though.

Are you using the older style upper tensioning pad and tensioner? Did you bleed and fill the tensioner before fitting?

Kind of sounds like oil starvation up top to me. Was there any play in the intermediate shaft bearing, did the oil pump drive spindle turn freely etc?

Something similar to this happened to MikeVR6 a couple of times, iirc. Rod bearings kept spinning because of oil control issues. No one knew why it happened and it stumped Stealth Racing as well as they were tasked with changing the engines, twice, I think!

Really sucks mate. Something like this can easily leave a bitter aftertaste and destroy the bond you have / had with the car but kudos for sticking with it.

Oh dear Rog thats terrible to read

You must have the patience of a saint to keep persevering on your own :(

stick with it tho - the driving of it when fixed will keep your love topped up

Cheers Kev

Yes, older style with a new OE tensioner bolt, bled and filled, I just pulled the bolt and it appears ok, I can't push it back so the one way valve is working.

The owners manual says it should be above 2 bar when above 2000 rpm at 80 degrees so I've assumed the pressure was ok, mine is well above that, the old engine was at 0.5 bar at idle and still sounded better than this.

The oil pressure hasn't changed since the engine went in, it's not dropped.

I had a day in the car yesterday with some 'spirited' driving and it was as smooth as a sewing machine, went to work at 9pm and someone even commented in the carpark on how nice it's now sounding. This problem has occurred during my 5 mile drive home this morning, BTW I never 'push on' with a cold engine.

Rog.

Do you still have the external oil cooler fitted?

What happens to the gauge when you start from cold and the noise occurs as it warms up on idle?

Is it worth dropping the sump and check for tensioner debris like you found on the old engine?