Jamie

Decided to paint my scuttle in the lounge...

jamie does that scuttle cover, go all the way over the windscreen wipers or clip underneath it like the existing right hand cover does?

damn right it looks better in satin, just purchased a mk2 golf one to adapt thought i had got a bargain, when it was delivered it was the flimsy plastic type one

it ended up in two pieces in a fit of rage

Looks great , better in satin . we are car nuts , this sort of thing is the norm . Corrado carpet fits in the washing machine just nicely and the dish washer is great for cleaning parts !

Reading this made me smile which was made better when the wife went 'oh my god' when looking over my shoulder

Top job on the scuttle, may have to steal that idea ;)

more detail please

It was years ago when I didn't have a garage, so used to sand down wheels and spray them in the bath, plus assorted trims and door handles etc etc. Obviously not whilst I was taking a bath ;)

It was years ago when I didn't have a garage, so used to sand down wheels and spray them in the bath, plus assorted trims and door handles etc etc. Obviously not whilst I was taking a bath ;)

Haha never heard if that , suppose you could have done some wet sanding while you was in there

Didn't prep it at all other than washed it down with fairy liquid, dried it off and gave it a wipe over with thinners. I used satin black Plastikote but a bit of a trade secret here - I dusted on about three light coats at 10 minute intervals, then put on a heavy wet top coat. Then just before that is almost dry, dust on a very light coat from quite a distance. The idea is that this dust coat hits the almost dry top coat pretty much dry. This will give it a nice factory type texture :)

Exellent thanks mate ill be doing that then , what does the finished thing feel like for mucky marks and finger prints does it seem like it will mark easy with it not having a laquer

Also what front strut brace is that it looks great im after ow for the front of mine

Exellent thanks mate ill be doing that then , what does the finished thing feel like for mucky marks and finger prints does it seem like it will mark easy with it not having a laquer

Also what front strut brace is that it looks great im after ow for the front of mine

I think most of us have done something along these lines at some point. One of my first jobs when acquiring my Rado was to refurb the VR6 grill page, so I masked it up carefully and as it was such a small part I decided the bathroom was the ideal paint booth. It was bit cold, so I whacked on the Xpelair which was obviously more than adequate for ventlation purposes.... 15 seconds worth of spraying later I could barely see the door to get out before asphyxiation set in! Spent the next 6 weeks with a razor blade cleaning overspray off the bath, window, mirror, toilet, radiator, sink......

Well done Mark; top job, you're the greatest....!

Didn't prep it at all other than washed it down with fairy liquid, dried it off and gave it a wipe over with thinners. I used satin black Plastikote but a bit of a trade secret here - I dusted on about three light coats at 10 minute intervals, then put on a heavy wet top coat. Then just before that is almost dry, dust on a very light coat from quite a distance. The idea is that this dust coat hits the almost dry top coat pretty much dry. This will give it a nice factory type texture :)

good tip, thanks! I'm a bit fed up with having to keep polishing mine to keep it looking decent. Would bumper paint also be suitable?

jamie does that scuttle cover, go all the way over the windscreen wipers or clip underneath it like the existing right hand cover does?

damn right it looks better in satin, just purchased a mk2 golf one to adapt thought i had got a bargain, when it was delivered it was the flimsy plastic type one

it ended up in two pieces in a fit of rage

Sorry mate missed this the first time. It goes over the top of the wiper spindles - ie you have to take the arms off to fit it. Have to take some trim off the bottom of the screen as well. If you're thinking of buying one mate, unless it's an absolute screaming bargain, I wouldn't bother.

The finish is fine Matt. Plastikote is quite a plasticky (hence the name) and very durable finish. The strut brace is a very rare and highly sought after Eibach item :D

Hasan - pretty sure bumper paint would do the job just fine :)

Cheers mate ill use the plastcote stuff then

Well the brace looks gash id take it off the car and get rid of it lol ! Ill take it of your hands im not bothered about how it looks lol

Cheers mate ill use the plastcote stuff then

Well the brace looks gash id take it off the car and get rid of it lol ! Ill take it of your hands im not bothered about how it looks lol

Hahaha they aren't just rare they are eBay **RARE** so I'd let it go for around £700 :lol:

Incidentally if anyone has a dark coloured car, I reckon the scuttle would look excellent painted body colour

She's kind of used to it (coming home to find Lambretta engines in bits on the dining table, Type III interiors drying in the bedroom etc) but she's very house proud and still goes nuts about it :lol:

Anyway a pic as requested. It's just a standard SWG scuttle with a bit of satin black to give it a more factory look as the standard gloss finish looks arse

013270EA-302C-485D-A3C6-DB9429F2D153.jpg

looks nice man! think im guna get one going by how good this looks, matt finish deff makes it though! guna go wrinkle black i think :D