Jim

Anyone here got a new shape Fiesta ST?

Thinking it's time for a new car next year and the lease deals on these are extremely attractive, performance is very good and most crucially (and despite me much preferring a German barge) it'll actually fit in my very small garage at home.

Just wondered if anyone has one, and how they've got on with it? How does the performance compare to your Corrado?

I've always been kinda partial to a hot hatch and liked these the first time I saw them, and like that 2 years of a lease isn't too much time / commitment if I end up hating it.

Cheers.

I've driven the small diesel version as a works car and I was hugely impressed. OK the diesel lump isn't the performance option, but the rest of the package was fantastic. I found it rode better than the Corrado and had a nice steer. The brakes felt a bit woolly, but it was a high miles works car so that probably explained that.

By all accounts, the media seem to love all versions and the ST version in Mountune guise seems a bargain.

I'm a VW fan but, when compared to the Polo as an all round package, it's better in my eyes.

This is all I hear about them - that they're basically excellent. The ST has garnered a lot of praise from a lot of motoring type folks which reassures me hugely and is partly why I'm considering them.

Good to hear some positive comments about the Fiesta in general.

At the minute it's still top choice for me - can't think of any other small, performance cars that touch the Fiesta ST as an all round package.

Not yet. The problem is I know a lot of dealers are funny about test drives unless they've basically secured a sale, and I'd feel guilty knowing I'd just be buying from a lease company anyway, rather than a Ford dealer... :( So not sure how to actually go about getting a test drive!

But I do need to make sure it's comfortable, etc etc and ideally that I can park it in my lock-up!

Quite a few of the dealers can price match lease companies so you may have an angle in that way.

Otherwise, just go in there and turn on the charm. Most dealers are quiet in the mornings during the week, so if you can get in there at that time, you stand a better chance!

Jim, a Ford, come on!

I hope the ST is better than the lower spec one my father-in-law had as a courtesy car, he hated that, and that was compared to his Mondeo!

Jim, a Ford, come on!

I hope the ST is better than the lower spec one my father-in-law had as a courtesy car, he hated that, and that was compared to his Mondeo!

Must say I'm with David on this. I really dislike Fords.... but I'm not sure why. :lol: I have heard good things about the new fiesta though so I'd suggest getting a test drive and decide for yourself. I've also always found the dealers near me to be pretty good with test drives as long as they have the relevant model on demonstration.

Jim, a Ford, come on!

I'm not trying to be too blunt here guys but I'm not interested in badge snobbery and dislike of a particular brand purely just because you just don't like them. I want to hear real world experiences, and if you can think of something else that compares on price / performance (just shy of 200BHP) / specification (the ST-3 is absolutely loaded) and looks as good as the new Fiesta does (which, I think it does) then by all means suggest something! :)

Long term reliability is of no relevance - as I say, I plan to lease and probably for just two years, so it'll be under warranty and going back by the time it's done 20,000 miles.

Oh god, here he goes again! Grass is greener syndrome and will invariably regret it, again :lol:

Well, my work colleague has a Fiesta ST. She knows her cars and has owned pretty much all the hot hatches, inc a MK5 GTI DSG.

She loves the ST, but me personally, I hate it, and here are the reasons why:-

Noisy, boomy exhaust in the cabin

Horrendous ride quality

Fiestas are everywhere

Very girly proportions and styling

Build quality strictly average

Honestly, I've been in it a few times now as she volunteers to drive us to team lunches etc, and the ride is just unrelenting, especially in the back.

Don't be sucked in by the all mega praise until you've driven one yourself, and do seek out some schitt roads. Her old MK5 was like a limo by comparison. Fine if you're a spotty yooooouth (said in a Clarskon voice) but not if you're as old as Clarkson.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

I'm not trying to be too blunt here guys but I'm not interested in badge snobbery and dislike of a particular brand purely just because you just don't like them. I want to hear real world experiences, and if you can think of something else that compares on price / performance (just shy of 200BHP) / specification (the ST-3 is absolutely loaded) and looks as good as the new Fiesta does (which, I think it does) then by all means suggest something! :)

Long term reliability is of no relevance - as I say, I plan to lease and probably for just two years, so it'll be under warranty and going back by the time it's done 20,000 miles.

Ok, partly tongue-in-cheek, from what I can see the ST 2/3 is very cheap on a 2 year contract but if you're committing to 2 years and something approaching 5 grand you want to make sure you like being in the thing and not just it has lots of toys and is quick. How about stretching to a M135 :)

I have driven pretty much all the new fiesta variants but the ST so cant comment on the power but overall great little cars. They are also well equiped bluetooth/dab etc. If i had the money I would defo consider one over the clio

If i had the money I would defo consider one over the clio

Thats not exactly praise....

TBH if a dealer doesnt let you have a test drive they dont deserve your money. As said they try to match lease deals now as they have to. Id say try all the similar cars out that you are thinking about. Ive driven a few cars that got universal praise but was I underwhelmed.

Oh god, here he goes again! Grass is greener syndrome and will invariably regret it, again :lol:

Not selling the Corrado. Just putting it away for a while. But it all feels different this time - I'm not giving it up because I can't afford to run it (as has always been the problem in the past) but just "done" with it. The engine rebuild, then the alternator issues, then the heater matrix going just left me feeling extremely jaded - and knowing that there's still a tonne of body work and shagged suspension still to tackle just makes me want to throw in the towel. For now. I'd just like a car I can buy and run for two years and live a life I don't have to fit around an old car, which is sort of what it's like at the moment.

Ok, partly tongue-in-cheek, from what I can see the ST 2/3 is very cheap on a 2 year contract but if you're committing to 2 years and something approaching 5 grand you want to make sure you like being in the thing and not just it has lots of toys and is quick. How about stretching to a M135 :)

If I could find one for anything like the price of the ST3 (which will only weigh in at about £180/month) I would but realistically a 135i will be at least twice that :(

That I won't be having to fix it on a weekly basis?

Seriously though - it's not that I specifically want a Fiesta. I want something new or nearly new, that has a bit of performance so I won't get bored, but crucially that fits in my garage at home - which isn't very big. The Fiesta ticks those boxes well, but I'd welcome other suggestions.

Not selling the Corrado. Just putting it away for a while. But it all feels different this time - I'm not giving it up because I can't afford to run it (as has always been the problem in the past) but just "done" with it. The engine rebuild, then the alternator issues, then the heater matrix going just left me feeling extremely jaded - and knowing that there's still a tonne of body work and shagged suspension still to tackle just makes me want to throw in the towel. For now. I'd just like a car I can buy and run for two years and live a life I don't have to fit around an old car, which is sort of what it's like at the moment.

Bin it then dude. There's no point agonising over keeping it or not if you're heart's not into it anymore, which it clearly isn't.

2 years isn't a big chunk of your life to waste, so why not, rent a car for a couple of years and see how that works out. I think Golf 7 Rs can still be had on cheap schemes, but the smart money would be to wait for all the orange faced TOWIEs to hand their keys back in 2 years, and take your pick from a flooded market. Just have to watch for the inevitable neglect as people can be right arse holes with property that doesn't belong to them.

Anyway, just do it Jim. Life's too short for umming and arring. If your roads are reasonable, then an ST will be a riot. If your roads are busted up B roads, you may regret it, but above all that, fcuk Ford anyway for not letting you test one. It's bloody obvious you're not a low life chav road captain just after a quick thrill. Fcuk em. Try a car supermarket instead.

Has to be new?

Not necessarily - but new enough that it's likely to be reliable. I don't want to ditch the Corrado, and walk straight into big bills :) I have thought about a BMW 3 series coupe (might fit in my garage), or a 1 series.. I dearly want a nice 5 or 7 series but no chance of being able to garage those. Also a MK2 Audi TT as I live within a 2 minute walk of an Audi dealers but I hear Audi reliability isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Bin it then dude. There's no point agonising over keeping it or not if you're heart's not into it anymore, which it clearly isn't.

2 years isn't a big chunk of your life to waste, so why not, rent a car for a couple of years and see how that works out. I think Golf 7 Rs can still be had on cheap schemes, but the smart money would be to wait for all the orange faced TOWIEs to hand their keys back in 2 years, and take your pick from a flooded market. Just have to watch for the inevitable neglect as people can be right arse holes with property that doesn't belong to them.

Anyway, just do it Jim. Life's too short for umming and arring. If your roads are reasonable, then an ST will be a riot. If your roads are busted up B roads, you may regret it, but above all that, fcuk Ford anyway for not letting you test one. It's bloody obvious you're not a low life chav road captain just after a quick thrill. Fcuk em. Try a car supermarket instead.

Cheers, Kev :) I think the Golf R deals are coming to a close now sadly and the lead time on them (because of the insane demand) is like 6-7 months I think, which is why I wasn't really considering them.

Jim,

Its very hard to give advice on a forum, not knowing financial situation, reasons required for a different vehicle (reliability aside) milages travelled etc.

I would say that reliabilty is a bit pot luck as well. For the last ten years or so, I have been driving reasonably new Audi's all had low miles, varying between petrol and diesel, all apart from the current car (2012) have had issues. The diesel has been the most frightening in terms of reliability and the costs would have been ridiculous had the car not been covered under Audi warranty.

I can see the benefit of the lease system, and apart from the well documented handing it back potential problems, it is a fixed fee per month, no hassle option.

Depending on how much you have for a second hand car being bought outright, you could be buying another expensive set of grief.

I can sympathise with you, the C is an old car now, it does require a lot of fettling to keep on the road, and although I have the other car I do like to use the C at least twice a week. I do always have that niggling feeling that it might not get me to where I want to go, but I really wouldnt want that as my only mode of transport.

Dont be shy with dealers, they are salesmen, they need to sell cars, you need to drive it before you can make your mind up about a purchase.

Just tell them straight, your thinking about one, but you've never driven one and at the end just say you didnt like it and walk away.

You are right to put aside any badge snobbery, I think by the sounds of it, its going to be all about reliability.

Hope it works out anyway,

Dougie

A friend has had an eco boost from new. She loves it and is planning on trading it in for an ST very soon.

All the reviews I see on this car rave about it.

Have you seen this one?

[video=youtube;Gbcj-zE7gBw]