Jamie

Cordless Impact Wrench

I have been using a 'Wurth' impact wrench for a while now in my workshop and it's been very good , & not way expensive like 'snap on', iv'e heard the Machine Mart ones aren't bad for the money, depends how much use it is going to get.

Machine Mart do a Clarke corded one; now I know you asked for a cordless one, but bear in mind that unless you use it a lot the chances are the battery will be flat when you need it and you'll have to wait until it's charged. The corded one will never be flat and it's more powerful than all but the very high end cordless hobbies....

I've never found the corded version that much of an issue in terms of portability. Might be a problem though if you either haven't got an extension lead or conveniently placed power socket though.

Another vote for the corded impact gun. It's quite bulky though and only just fits on the top mounts. It's hugely powerful for the cash though.

Yeah saw the corded one but my garage is across the road from my house so got to be cordless unfortunately. The Clarke one does seem to have decent reviews and for a oner sounds good. Won't get loads of use I'm just hacked off the amount of times I've taken me wheels off this year. I know for a fact I'll buy one and never take them off ever again

Even with a gun, I still use a breaker bar and a torque wrench on my wheels. It's almost impossible to get wheels done up properly without hugely overdoing the torque unless you have an expensive impact gun. I know plenty don't care about torque settings though and will still buy an impact gun and hit wheel bolts until they stop turning.

Yeah I'd still torque em up Sean, just gets on my wick having to use my breaker bar all the time. Sick of having my wheels on and off all the time as well

I feel your pain! I've put wheels on so many times during the rebuild that I can pretty much hit the right torque everytime with a breaker bar and usually there is only a tiny amount of movement on the torque wrench!

It's a great bit of kit for undoing stuff with though!

I have a cordless sealey one. Worth having one. It's helped me out loads on stuck bolts. Works well with irwin bolt grippers on rounded bolts.

That's the one I've got. It's getting a bit old rattley now, and the direction switch is failing. Considering it has 325lbft, it struggles with wheel bolts done up to 90lbft! It gets them off eventually but after undoing all 20 bolts, the battery is past it's best and needs charging again.

I think it's most useful for top mounts as every one else said!

That's the one I've got. It's getting a bit old rattley now, and the direction switch is failing. Considering it has 325lbft, it struggles with wheel bolts done up to 90lbft! It gets them off eventually but after undoing all 20 bolts, the battery is past it's best and needs charging again.

I think it's most useful for top mounts as every one else said!

I have that Sealey 24V too and I agree with everything that's been said. I crack tight bolts off with a bar and run the bolt out with the gun, recharge takes an hour.

If its just for topmounts a Vortex socket set will do the job - Koni state not to use power tools on the top nut on their top adjustables.

Before I had my Vortex socket set I did topmounts with a normal socket with 2 flat ground on the sides.

IMGP0312.jpg

I have that Sealey 24V too and I agree with everything that's been said. I crack tight bolts off with a bar and run the bolt out with the gun, recharge takes an hour.

That'd do me. I don't mind having to crack the bolts off and torque them up at the end, just sick of undoing wheel and adapter bolts constantly

Bit of an update - I done a bit more research online and found the Liftmaster 12v impact wrench to have excellent reviews. Unfortunately they've stopped making them but I saw this AEG http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004PZG59G/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1419956752&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX110_SY165 which looks like exactly the same wrench just rebadged.

Just used it for the first time and have to say although it's not a patch on an air one, it does the job just fine. Undone all the wheel nuts no trouble and torqued them up as well. Checked after with my torque wrench and it seems calibrated perfectly. So all in all if you want a cheap and cheerful battery impact wrench I don't think you'll go far wrong with one of these :)

*edit* I only paid £30 delivered for mine*

Amazon seem to do this all the time Ian - their prices fluctuate all over the place....