Harrier

Diamond Black Vr6

Ok, i'm starting a build / gallery thread for this, my 3rd Corrado in 16 years. My last one, a Brilliant Black Vr , I sold on last summer as I thought (wrongly) that I was done with Corrado's but I soon realised I wanted another.

Maybe I should seek medical help over this obsession ?!

So I spotted this as a private sale just before Christmas. 69k miles, one owner from new,always garaged, serviced annually (every 4k approx), black leather and completely standard & original except for the windscreen which was replaced with a top tinted one, with original Sony radio cassette & cassette holder and dealer window sticker & number plate plinth.

First reaction when I viewed the car wasn't great because although the interior is excellent, the bodywork has received a fair few car park dints & the rear bumper creased, but after some thought I decided it was overall worth having and after some haggling got the price down a fair bit and did the deal.

The 1.5 hour drive home was really enjoyable and really good on the standard suspension & wheels, with hardly any rattles or creaks from the interior.

So today I ran it down to the body shop to get a quote and a date for putting the paintwork right ( end of Feb ) and then got it back to my workshop to have a good look over it. I removed the wheels & gave the underside and wheel arches a really good jetwash to remove 20 years worth of mud & grime !

Pleased to say that with the dirt gone it's all great, the only slight corrosion is on the rear beam but otherwise very good, original exhaust system in good shape, front crossmembers etc excellent and pleased to see it still has the horizontal splash guards fitted behind the front bumper corners. I have never seen these fitted before !

I have already started a shopping list and made a list of jobs to do in order of priority. I will probably be keeping the car standard as I think it deserves it.

First job is to start stripping for the bodyshop visit, sort out the sunroof ( which was working fine when I first viewed the car) but frustratingly broke yesterday !! :censored: and in time, discs and pads all round, sort a couple of minor oil leaks ( cam cover & oil cooler seals ) and a slight coolant leak ( thermostat area )

That lot should keep me busy, I hope to get to a show or two by May ish

anyway it's good to be back !

Thanks for reading

Daren.

Edited by Harrier

Maybe I should seek medical help over this obsession ?!

No No No. You are absolutely fine. Wait till you get to Corrado number 10 or above. This is the time yo should get some medical help :)

BTW. Welcome back.

Looks a cracker Daren! Never seen a picture of the corner plastics let alone seen them fitted! Look forward to catching up soon mate. :thumbleft:

And it still has the plastic under trays!

Yep ! knew they existed but have never seen any before !

No No No. You are absolutely fine. Wait till you get to Corrado number 10 or above. This is the time yo should get some medical help :)

BTW. Welcome back.

Some way to go then ! thanks :)

Looks a cracker Daren! Never seen a picture of the corner plastics let alone seen them fitted! Look forward to catching up soon mate. :thumbleft:

Thanks Sean, catch up sounds good. How much longer are you around ?

Thanks Sean, catch up sounds good. How much longer are you around ?

I'm off in April mate. I'll have to stop by before I go if its unlikely you'll be ready to take the car out before then.

I'm not the only one that has them still on the car.

Me too... Thought everybody had them. Then again mines never been taken to bits.

Looks a lovely car harrier

Welcome back Daren, got yourself a good car by the looks of it.

Oh and I have those covers on my car too.

Yep ! knew they existed but have never seen any before !

ooo ive those on my VR too :)

welcome back!

that lift looks awesome - what type/brand is it please?

that lift looks awesome - what type/brand is it please?

It's a Bendpak mid rise scissor lift, good also because it's portable and not fixed to the floor.

Yes Easypops, it is mine,

This is where I work from self employed , and it suits the low workshop roof.

Thanks all for the welcome back 8)

Edited by Harrier

Looks a good car Darren. This makes me think it's time to purchase my 9th Corrado, been out of one for nearly a year now..the longest in many years!

Welcome back

Just a quick warning to those with the corner plastics still attached my old rado had them and one came unfixed at the front and flipped under my wheel whilst on the motorway proper squeaky bum moment!

Neil

So, work has been very busy but I have found time here & there to strip down ready for the body shop visit hopefully at the end of this month.

Also have sorted out the sunroof after too many £'s and frustration. Ended up with new cable kit, a new guide/runner part which I was led to believe might be obsolete By VW, but suddenly /thankfully arrived one morning & a second hand motor which fortunately I had spare.

Finished stripping today, at home and gave a final blast with the jetwash to get rid of any more dirt from behind the bumpers & wheel arches etc.

The parts shopping list is getting ever bigger !

I have quite enjoyed the work even so, as the car is so original many of the parts I have removed have never been off before and it's nice to have all the screws & fixings present & correct, I have been careful to bag and label everything as it is removed.

Managed to find a rear bumper from a local breakers as the original was not ideal for repair,

The car is going to be getting a bottom half respray, with the rear windows coming out too. Next update will probably be from the bodyshop.

This is how the car looks now.

Can't wait to get it back together. 8)

DSC_0409_zps0037f328.jpg

DSC_0411_zpsc0b1f7b0.jpg

Paintwork looks good as it is Daren, definitely keep us updated with bodyshop pics.

Have you decided on modified or standard yet?

Paintwork looks good as it is Daren, definitely keep us updated with bodyshop pics.

Have you decided on modified or standard yet?

Will be keeping it standard for now Chris, and see how I like it.

The paint work is good, it's just the small car park dinks which let it down, they don't show in the photo's.

Could you not have got paintless dent removal or are there too many?

The standard drive is fantastic on them, far more comfy then coilovers.

Could you not have got paintless dent removal or are there too many?

The standard drive is fantastic on them, far more comfy then coilovers.

I am having some dent removal done, and have removed all the interior trims and wheel arch trims to allow this, but it will still need paint, especially as the bumper & bonnet are a bit stone chipped. I think it makes sense to get all the paint sorted from day 1, rather than do just some of the panels, & possibly regret it later.