Jim

Jim's 1995 Corrado VR6

Having just got my car back after a long spell at Stealth Racing, and with the old thread having got quite lengthy, I thought it was time to ditch the old one, and start with a whole new thread about my car.

So this is my 1995 2.9 VR6 Corrado. I've had it now since April 2010, so over 6 years. In that time I've done about 40,000 miles and she now sits on just under 201,000 miles.

It's fair to say that I've had my share of ups and downs, culminating most recently in a second engine rebuild after it became fairly clear that there were a few major problems with how it had been done the first time. Now, towards the end of June, I've just picked the car up and have a fairly lengthy running in period ahead of me!

The car isn't really modified in any notable way - the engine is completely standard apart from being very mildly overbored to a 'true' 2.9 litre capacity with new pistons and with a K&N panel filter. The only modifications to speak of are a mild drop on some broken Bilstein B4 dampers, Eibach anti-roll bars, and uprated 288mm brakes from the MK3 Golf.

It's spent no small amount of time in pieces over recent years having various jobs done. Off the top of my head, some of the jobs undertaken in the last couple of years includes:

* Full top and bottom end engine rebuild, including re-bored block with 82.5 Mahle pistons, oil pump, water pump, all gaskets, all bearings, timing chains & tensioners, tappets, crack pipe. Fitted new OE VW engine bay wiring harness.

* Powdercoated engine subframe.

* Full Roose Motorsport coolant pipe set in black.

* New VDO 4-bar fuel pump.

* Fit refurbished fuel injectors.

* Fit auxiliary water pump.

* Fit new radiator.

* Replaced heater matrix.

* Fit new (rebuilt) alternator.

* Powder coated, refurbished Speedline wheels with new tyres.

In terms of what lies ahead? Well despite replacing the suspension a few years ago, I think the Bilstein dampers are dead as the handling is rather wayward. It needs some TLC in the bodyshop too due to bits of rust in various places, and some fairly heavy stone chipping on the bonnet and slam panel. The powdercoat job on the Speedlines is more of matt grey so doesn't look correct, so I'd like to revert back to the BBS Solitude wheels I previously ran - will try and acquire a new set of those.

I look forward to getting out and enjoying some shows again!

Cheers.

GxwGXkI.jpg

zNx5RLY.jpg

Great to see you have it back , hope it behaves for you now :)

Great news mate, looking forward to the next meet up

Video sounds intriguing...

The bedding in process felt like it would never end lol.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Great news mate, looking forward to the next meet up

Video sounds intriguing...

Heh there's nothing intriguing - think he just means the YouTube clip I posted a couple days ago of it running at Stealth.

Popping back to Stealth this morning. As is typical for a Corrado I got it home, went to open the bonnet, and the bonnet cable made a funny noise and no longer releases the bonnet! Had to prise the grille off (which thankfully I didn't gorilla too badly) and release it by yanking on the release cable up by the headlights.

Disappointingly some of the most irritating ticking and tapping has returned now I'm about 150 miles into running it in. Same location - from the back / left hand side of the head. I can only assume there was something worn in the head itself that rebuilding doesn't compensate for :( Going to keep going on the run-in and talk to Stealth at the 500 mile oil change and see if he has any thoughts.

I'm pretty gutted as the engine was utterly turbine quiet and smooth for the first 50-60 miles - I can't understand why this damn noise has come back.

Really wishing I'd picked up another head for rebuilding as I was always suspicious there was something worn somewhere in it causing this. I'd just love an answer / explanation about what causes it.

Photo from the other night as I stood contemplating whether to just set fire to the damn thing:

TLGnfzh.jpg

Mine is the same Jim, think they are inherently noisy engines. It is easy to listen too hard and perhaps become a bit paranoid about them, just drive it and enjoy it because they are an absolute pleasure.

Is go with bruny on that , they are all a bit noisey and mechanical sounding arent they

Mine throws out the odd noise when it wants to , just get in get your peg down and enjoy it , if it goes bang put another lump in it there easy enough to find

Even my 24v is a little noisy mate, and that's only got 60K on it and never been apart!

I agree, they are a very mechanical sounding motor. See what Stealth say I guess.

Yeah will see what Vince reckons when I'm there next.

In hindsight I don't think getting it rebuilt was the best idea. Now I have it back I'm realising just how much other stuff needs sorting.. bodywork is pretty poor, suspension is clapped out, brakes need a total overhaul.

Frankly I think despite the new engine I've lost the love.

Yeah will see what Vince reckons when I'm there next.

In hindsight I don't think getting it rebuilt was the best idea. Now I have it back I'm realising just how much other stuff needs sorting.. bodywork is pretty poor, suspension is clapped out, brakes need a total overhaul.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You cant mean that man! Its the corrado way, they test you no end, and hind sight is such a bi tch where corrados are concerned. Its because its yours mate, im the same with mine and all corrado/ proper car lovers are the same with their own motors. Because its your car, you are aware of every fault on the car, i always look at mine like its a piece of **** focusing on all the bad, then someone else sees it and says it amazing. like when i saw yours at stealth, its looked lovely. so well maintained, yet first you you did when i said that was to down play it. Try to stop focusing on the little negatives that makes it off-perfect and focus on the overall car that make it amazing. Being to hard on yourself and the car.

Its a corrado lovers tiff, we have them every once in a while, i have almost pushed mine of a cliff a few times. HANG IN THERE!!!!!

EJ is right Jim. I see the little things wrong with mine all the time. Despite spending close to 7k on it over the last 3 years, I still don't feel like its up there amongst the better ones.

Its good that you have the ST to use daily, which means you can just keep it locked up and squirrel away the odd few quid, or buy parts for it from month to month and get around to getting it how you'd like it. Remember what it is, a 20 odd year old car that has enabled you to meet some good friends and have some memorable days or weekends out with. Just keep it that way and use it for the odd show every now and then. I fear you're comparing it too much to the much more refined (and quicker) daily. I know where you're coming from having to use mine daily at the moment, is really is taking the driving pleasure out of it. I do still love its look though, but accept there will come a time when I will move on to pastures new. That said, in your own words previously, its not worth a great deal in its present condition. If you're not desperate for money, keep it locked up and come back to it and do things when you can. :thumbleft:

It's not really about the money in the car, but more that to get it anywhere near the car I want I need to spend quite a bit more on it. Off on my hols next week so will give it some thought then I guess.

Popping back to Stealth on Friday for them to have a listen - Vince said they may drop the oil if they think it sounds wrong.

It's not really about the money in the car, but more that to get it anywhere near the car I want I need to spend quite a bit more on it. Off on my hols next week so will give it some thought then I guess.

Popping back to Stealth on Friday for them to have a listen - Vince said they may drop the oil if they think it sounds wrong.

the exact stage i got to, then just thought stuff all this trying to make it perfect rubbish im just going to build and big shouty crazy race car and take it on loads of tracks days and get my satisfaction from driving it.

If you can't keep it somewhere, or you don't want to, just sell it mate. It's only a car at the end of the day, you'll still be an active member of the club and you can always buy another further down the line.

I swear veyrons make the tappy noise.

But you know the noise I mean, right? You were on a quest to cure it with your engine overhaul.

Mine is back at 2000/2500/3000RPM marks - I can only best describe it as mechanical purring which you can hear fairly clearly into the cabin too. Weirdly whilst it's pretty consistent at those RPM's, the volume of it does change variously depending on whether you've let off and are coasting, going down hill, or are cruising at part throttle.

Someone suggested injectors which I guess I would have considered to be plausible but as I say the noise appears to eminate from the rear of the engine rather than the front.

But you know the noise I mean, right? You were on a quest to cure it with your engine overhaul.

Mine is back at 2000/2500/3000RPM marks - I can only best describe it as mechanical purring which you can hear fairly clearly into the cabin too. Weirdly whilst it's pretty consistent at those RPM's, the volume of it does change variously depending on whether you've let off and are coasting, going down hill, or are cruising at part throttle.

Someone suggested injectors which I guess I would have considered to be plausible but as I say the noise appears to eminate from the rear of the engine rather than the front.

Mine does it as well if that contributes in any way.

Yeah i do know what you mean Jim, i definitely had it on that 2nd engine i fitted and it went away after fitting new lifters, but it quickly came back. (the only thing i found when removing that engine was a small sign the exhaust manifold was blowing very slightly).

Hard to work out what it could be as i've had 3 engines, 1st one suffered from what i thought was piston slap, 2nd one had that tappy noise but was a good engine, i still have it sat about for a future project, then the 3rd was mostly new parts but went very wrong. (I still think i could hear a slight hint of the noise though)

I'd see what Vince thinks before getting upset about it, he must hear loads of them and will be able to say if its normal or not, it is a lots of lump of metal connected with metal chains all spinning round quite fast and was designed in the late 80's/early 90's so might just be the noise they make. Just strange that some are louder than others.

When i'm more organised i could dig out the two heads from the past and see if i can spot anything that might suggest they wear in places.

I'm trying to come to terms with the fact I just need to accept it - and knowing that others have the same problem helps. I just wish I knew why some cars did it, and some cars didn't. That's the frustrating thing about it all.

I wonder if genuine lifters may be a slightly better fit, i've only used INA ones. Weird that fitting new ones made my noise disappear for a while (1500miles)