reggiebaby

Front cross member bushes

Hi all got the front end off the car at the moment sorting out all the rusty bits.

Is it a good idea to replace cross member bushes and the front engine mount? Not planning on changing the other mounts at the moment, also any thing else service wise I should look at while having access. Thanks

I've got Powerflex in mine and probably wouldn't bother again. They were a bugger to fit but don't feel harsh at all like some people have claimed

If anyone has done this with the original rubber ones (or any!) how did you get them in?!

All I read about it is that it's an absolute arse - been trying to compress them, or pull them with a bolt in but no luck. It either slips to one side and so won't go in, or, if it is lined up straight, because the tapered end is bigger than the hole it just sits around the outside getting bigger the more it compresses. Plenty silicon lubricant applied but still nothing. 

They're an absolute arse to get in! I had to use a load of silicon grease, and I managed to get them in by using a large long screwdriver through the hole (ooh err), with the handle at the bottom and sort of pulled them in. Took a lot of force and rocking/going around in circles whilst pulling but they eventually slipped in. 😉

1 hour ago, oneohtwo said:

If anyone has done this with the original rubber ones (or any!) how did you get them in?!

All I read about it is that it's an absolute arse - been trying to compress them, or pull them with a bolt in but no luck. It either slips to one side and so won't go in, or, if it is lined up straight, because the tapered end is bigger than the hole it just sits around the outside getting bigger the more it compresses. Plenty silicon lubricant applied but still nothing. 

Hello there,

I did mine a few years ago and used an old cylinder head bolt I had laying around, plus a couple of large washers, a nut, and a very large socket to spread the weight but mainly to pull the old bushes into.  The new OEM bushes I sprayed a little with WD40 and small amount of EP grease, and they pulled into place without any real hassle. The only other thing I used to assist me was a medium sized flat ended screw driver, simply to aid fitment by pushing slightly on the side that was starting to tilt, that's about it really.

Photos below when I fitted mine.

Hope this helps

Si

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Ta, problem was I didn't have a socket big enough to fit over the hole - otherwise that method looks a lot simpler! Managed to rig something up with some offcuts of wood lying around:

y4mOGuWz08_nz8axSyA9yHCTvQqyc4GIZgzLtdkv

Which is a bit Heath Robinson, but it did the job with a bit of wrestling.

which bushes did you get oneohtwo? 

On another point, has anyone noticed any difference (better or worse) with PU bushes?

The were the Febi ones, rubber as a straight replacement for the originals. got them from Murray's Direct on ebay- Keyo has recommended him before, and does seem to get a fair bit of decent quality Corrado bits in.

6 hours ago, oneohtwo said:

Ta, problem was I didn't have a socket big enough to fit over the hole - otherwise that method looks a lot simpler! Managed to rig something up with some offcuts of wood lying around:

y4mOGuWz08_nz8axSyA9yHCTvQqyc4GIZgzLtdkv

Which is a bit Heath Robinson, but it did the job with a bit of wrestling.

Oh fair play you've got them in 👍   Yeah they can be a bit of a turd to fit,  the trick really is to use a load of lubrication it makes fitting most bushes a lot easier. 

Si 

2 hours ago, Dox said:

I wonder if you could do it like windscreen rubbers with string?

Tug of war 😆   Seriously though Dox it might work never tried it myself.

Si 

just to bring this one up again, which way round do they go? I assume the tapered part is inside the cross member?  Or are they the same both ways? Planning to do mine some time soon...

Edit: just checked my spare set in the garage and they're not directional

Edited by fla

I'm fairly sure the original rubber ones are directional, with the longer tapered end pointing upwards, towards the chassis legs.

Couldn't say on powerflex or anything like that though.

I replaced the originals for the poly ones. I copied the way the original ones were, so fairly confident I’ve got it right………. Unless the originals were upside down, but I doubt it

7D5FAFC2-4C8C-4911-B0D3-C784EF600B27.jpeg

On 9/2/2021 at 3:28 PM, fla said:

just to bring this one up again, which way round do they go? I assume the tapered part is inside the cross member?  Or are they the same both ways? Planning to do mine some time soon...

Edit: just checked my spare set in the garage and they're not directional

This is a shot of original figment. 

3BD8A9F0-297F-492D-A04E-4751ACB1AAB7.thumb.jpeg.8d9460134f243e4b381caf25d483817e.jpeg

useful pic Shaun, many thanks.

Btw, its been ages since i took the front of the car off and i'm loathe to leave it on the ramps overnight.  Any pointers to be aware of and roughly how much time should i allow for a swop of the bushes?  IIRC, i used copper slip on the bumper screws so dont anticipate any issues there, but that was when i did the auto-manual  swop.  I'll also be fitting the poly front mount i got on the group buy about 10 years ago!

I think it is probably doable in a day, but you may want to budget a weekend just in case.  I have definitely got the front end off and changed the radiator in a day, but it's a bit more to get the cross member off. 

Front end is a pretty easy removal, once the bumper is off it's just 12 (IIRC) bolts on the slam panel. For ease of reassembly it's possibly to leave the bonnet release cable attached and just prop the slam panel out of the way. 

Do you have the VW engine harness that sits on the wings to support the engine whilst you get the cross member off?

Do you have the VW engine harness that sits on the wings to support the engine whilst you get the cross member off?

What does this look like, do you have one ?

I don't have one, as I had the engine fully out when I had the cross member off.

It's listed in the Bentley manual as 10222-A engine support, although actually that's just the VW specific tool and there's plenty of lifting beams available that do the same job. It's like a goal post frame that sits on the wings either side, where the bonnet closes, and then has two hangers dropping from the main bar over the engine, which I clip into the engine lifting eyes. This sort of thing:

Laser 4842 Engine Support Beam 500kg - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

Probably better than propping the engine under the sump with axle stands or concrete blocks.

Edited by oneohtwo

On 9/21/2021 at 1:34 PM, oneohtwo said:

I think it is probably doable in a day, but you may want to budget a weekend just in case.  I have definitely got the front end off and changed the radiator in a day, but it's a bit more to get the cross member off. 

Front end is a pretty easy removal, once the bumper is off it's just 12 (IIRC) bolts on the slam panel. For ease of reassembly it's possibly to leave the bonnet release cable attached and just prop the slam panel out of the way. 

Do you have the VW engine harness that sits on the wings to support the engine whilst you get the cross member off?

Thanks.

I used to have the engine beam but sold it after doing the manual conversion.  Might support the engine underneath with some wood blocks in order to keep the bonnet closed

Days getting shorter might mean i'll leave it for next year - ideally looking to do the bushes, front engine mount and rad fan shroud.  Plus the normal cleaning & polishing!  A garage would have been nice, but unfortunately n/a..