Bauhaus

My Inca Blue 91 G60 by Bauhaus

14 hours ago, James. said:

Good skill. Is that a cassette storage fascia you’ve used ?

Yes Mate,  the Fisher C box.

2 hours ago, Cressa said:

👍 they do look good.

I had to laugh at when you last updated your thread though 😂

Take it you mean the G60 throttle body with a grafted on tps ?  the photos for that disappeared during a forum update ☹️

4 hours ago, fla said:

Those look impressive, I'm sure a lot of effort and thought will have gone into them.

Thanks, Actually it went a lot easier than expected.

30 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Very nice - a true custom build, and you won't be tempted to sell them when you fal on hardship as it's extremely unlikely you'll find a buyer with another 16vG60! 😉

These will be staying with the car or they get sold with the car but not planning on selling car anytime soon.

32 minutes ago, Dox said:

You could have saved yourself a load of aggravation and bought a set for £700?

superb work btw 

Yes I could have bought a set for £700 but these cost me next to nothing, the basis for these was the Fisher C  cassette box which was already in the Corrado, the VDO oil gauges I had already from my old Mk2 golf which was written off and the printed gauge panel was designed and produced by myself.

I will do a write up on how I did these later today.

Excuse my humour, I don’t get the panic gauges on a road car, the current prices for the VDO set dumbfound me.

As I said, superb work, on the down side Fischer C box prices will rocket if you share your fine idea….

Just looked on eBay for corrado cassette/ tape / Fischer c box etc and can’t find any past or present for a guide price

4 hours ago, Dox said:

Excuse my humour, I don’t get the panic gauges on a road car, the current prices for the VDO set dumbfound me.

As I said, superb work, on the down side Fischer C box prices will rocket if you share your fine idea….

No worries Dox, but I get what you mean about panic gauges on a road car but in my case it fills a hole with something useful instead of loose change and other assorted crap.. lol 

Parts needed….

Fisher C box for Corrado

VDO 52mm gauges of your choice (mine were oil ones from an Audi 80..  I think)

Aluminium or steel thin plate size 111mm x 77mm x 1.2mm

1mm Perspex acrylic sheet

A steady hand, good vision and balls of steel.

----------------------------------------

First off strip out the Fisher C box so your left with just the outer framework and front facia

DSC00205.JPG

-------------------------------------------

Now with your balls of steel cut just below the steel facia of your VDO gauges with a Dremel or similar tool, see pic with the arrow of where to cut

DSC10199.JPG

DSC20201.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

Then with good eyesight CAREFULLY square off the plastic in the VDO gauge, there is a convenient ridge inside the gauge to square off to.

DSC30200.JPG

----------------------------------------------------

Then with a fork slide it under the needle and pull upwards but be careful and don’t lose the needle. Sorry no pic for this.

---------------------------------------------------

Next place the original gauge faces on a piece of paper and scan them to your PC or Mac and use the resulting file as a guide to making the twin gauge face artwork which should be 111mm x 77mm to fit in the Fisher C box.

DSC40202.JPG

DSC50203.JPG

DSC60209.JPG

------------------------------------------------

Print yourself or get a graphic company to print your artwork on white signmakers vinyl and attach it to the Aluminium sheet 111mm x 77mm, (I did two in case of a cockup)

Carefully drill the holes for the four screws and the two needles and if your drilling is accurate then the VDO gauges should line up and will mount perfectly, a steady hand and good eyesight is needed to put the needles back.

DSC70204.JPG

DSC90207.JPG

DSC90208.JPG

---------------------------------------------------

Last of all get your 1mm thick perpex acrylic to make the window for the gauge housing as per photo

DSC93206.JPG

Then just assemble all back together, a glue gun is useful for fixing the front screen and possibly fixing the facia to the framework, then your ready to install in the corrado.

20220414_174033.jpg 

20220414_174103.jpg

Job done 😎

5 hours ago, Dox said:

Just looked on eBay for corrado cassette/ tape / Fischer c box etc and can’t find any past or present for a guide price

Seen them for anything to to 50 - 100 , does make you wonder did fischer do an early and late version - pretty sure the cubby hole changed shape a little form early to late dash.  100 percent did an early anyway. 

Edited by Keyo

1 minute ago, Keyo said:

Seen them for anything to to 50 - 100 , does make you wonder did fischer do an early and late version - pretty sure the cubby hole changed shape a little form early to late dash. 

Think you maybe right Keyo as I seem to remember the rotary heater control panel is higher in the late body cars so the cubby hole Hight is reduced.. or am I imagining that ?

6 minutes ago, Bauhaus said:

Think you maybe right Keyo as I seem to remember the rotary heater control panel is higher in the late body cars so the cubby hole Hight is reduced.. or am I imagining that ?

Pretty sure you re right mate- might well be fischer never made a late set - or maybe late set are just cd not tape. 

Great write-up, thanks for sharing.

I'm quite interested in your heated seat controls - looks like a good modification

Hasan

As far as I know there was never a Fischer CD box for the Corrado, early or late - only for the Mk2 Golf (I know because I had one at one stage) and there was also a DIN sized 4 CD generic unit.  The cassette one I've only seen ones for early Corrados - the cubby definitely changes from early to late, aand it's also right or left hand drive specific.

But this is a great DIY option and write up. Kudos.

16 hours ago, Keyo said:

Seen them for anything to to 50 - 100 , does make you wonder did fischer do an early and late version - pretty sure the cubby hole changed shape a little form early to late dash.  100 percent did an early anyway. 

Paid £7 for mine 8ish years ago, mad the way prices have gone…

13 hours ago, fla said:

Great write-up, thanks for sharing.

I'm quite interested in your heated seat controls - looks like a good modification

Hasan

TT controls, tt seats too?

Superb work (I’ve scored a hat trick with that  now)

53 minutes ago, fendervg said:

As far as I know there was never a Fischer CD box for the Corrado, early or late - only for the Mk2 Golf (I know because I had one at one stage) and there was also a DIN sized 4 CD generic unit.  The cassette one I've only seen ones for early Corrados - the cubby definitely changes from early to late, aand it's also right or left hand drive specific.

But this is a great DIY option and write up. Kudos.

My c box fits my late rotary control dash, not sure of make, probably VW official accessory?

Yeah, Fischer used to make all the OEM accesories like the storage boxes for VW, same as VDO for the centre consoles with gauges for the Golf. Would be interesting to get hold of one of their old catalogues to check out what was available - I definitely had a cassette and a CD box as well as the DIN CD holder for my Golf back in the day.

That is a quality effort, very impressive.  If i did that, where would I put my tapes 🤣🤣

They definitely fit late20220416_192143.jpg

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

These look cool. could mount right of console 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382584339029

Look similar to the Passat ones that some have fitted. Definitely misses a cup holder in the Corrado, but the drain pipe ones for the rear ashtray are a good alternative.

Edited by seanl82

2 hours ago, Cressa said:

That is a quality effort, very impressive.  If i did that, where would I put my tapes 🤣🤣

They definitely fit late20220416_192143.jpg

James Bond stylee, with hinge down gauge panel hiding hidden cassette storage?

On 5/3/2017 at 11:04 PM, Bauhaus said:

Polo%206N2%20rear%204%20stud%20hub.jpg

Polo 4 stud rear hub.. this was modified with a golf front ABS ring for traction control.

Just looked at your build again and I missed this the first time, that is a great idea and is now on my list for getting the ABS on the rear