mic_VR

Garages. Talk to me!

Morning all

So, I was hoping to extend my house adding another bedroom with a double garage underneath but I'm struggling to decide on what is a suitable minimum size as I've been warned by the architect that I may struggle to go 6m wide as it'll add too much width to the house (apparently planners don't like greater than 50% of the current width) so he's suggesting reducing it to a 5.3m external width which would give 5m internally.

What do people think? Would this be wide enough for a double?

16 feet wide in old money internally. What are your intentions? What length? (you'll need benches, tool cabs, storage etc).

A single door or two doubles?

This is mine and Im sure its about 5.3m internally (wish it still had the same filling...).

Not really any room for a workbench but there is a little storage, Ive got the boiler in there as well so it take up a little space. If I want to work on a car I have to take the other one out. 5m internal would be a push IMO. Its tighter than it looks in the photo.

I'm currently trying for 6.20M wide garage on the side of my house, not through planning yet I've got TPO issues but should know soon, I think with planning it's all about opinion from them.......

Medium sized cars are around 6 feet six inches between mirrors (the widest point).

I've got 2 garages, one is a drive through, 21 feet by 9 feet internally, its just feasible to remove wheels both sides to work on the brakes, its a maul to refit the wheels as you're body is too close to the wheel, back to the wall to see what you're doing.

Garage 2 is 11 feet wide, 30 feet long and is comfortable to work with just one car inside, it has benches on 3 sides at the end and will hold both Corrados at a push, but there's no way of getting around them and the double doors are difficult to close from the inside its so tight (there's no external locks on the double doors.

If I remember I'll measure mine tonight, its double and I've had 2 cars plus crap either side. The standard parking space is 2.4m wide by 4.8m if I remember correctly so 5.3m is a fair size.

I used to be a planner myself and went on to architectural drawings so if you need any assistance give me a shout. I would think with the right design the planners could be persuaded to allow the width, you can submit plans for a 'pre-application' discussion. If I remember I'll take a look at permitted development rights, haven't done a side extension for a while but they massively increased it a while ago.

Mines a bit wider, the issue I had although you could easily get 2 cars in it was that planing said I had to be able to get a car lengthways on the drive 6m or something,so width wasn't a problem but depth of the extension had to reduce by half a metre. Ridiculous. Point is they were more concerned about off road parking on the drive than the size of the extension. My architect sorted in the end, it was a compromise with them without us going legal.

Cheers guys, seems the size isn't a million miles off then, overall it'll be 5.3m wide and either 6.2m or 8.7m long depending on how far the wife will let me go.

Was a bit disappointed with the architect as 6m wouldn't take us up the the boundary but it would be pretty wide compared to the house so I can see why the planners might be a bit wary of it.

Swifty - cheers mate. I'll see what he comes back with and maybe pass it onto you for a second opinion

So, my current single is 3m by 6m. Same as yours Sean. Overall I'm happy with the length but the width is an issue. I can work all around the car but the big corrado doors need a bit of finesse to get in and out.

I'm happy that whatever we end up building I'll have to move cars around to work on them but getting 2 in with some space to store things and get around them would be nice.

Consider windows carefully, natural is much better than artificial light. I bought new miss-measured windows off ebay, 2 1200 X 1200 (£60 complete with glass) and a pair of French doors on one side (£250 with glass) and a large Georgian style for the rear (£55). The other side has 2 small window (£10 the pair) as it against a fence, towards the double doors giving me room for 2 full height cupboards near the benches. I also have a porthole in the gable for the loft (£80). All lintels are also ebay and it saved me around a grand off the build price.

Its all done for a purpose, but the Mrs likes it because it doesn't look like a garage....

Obviously get it as wide as you can, but if it's going to be a push, make sure you put a double roller shutter door in it, so if you need to work on a car, you can leave the other car outside and have the one you are working on in the middle of the space, which is hard to do if you have a pillar in the middle ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hi, just finished my garage extension and it measures 7m x 4m ,plenty room for corrado ,architect is correct about size for planning and you have to watch pitch of roof isn't too great.

Obviously get it as wide as you can, but if it's going to be a push, make sure you put a double roller shutter door in it, so if you need to work on a car, you can leave the other car outside and have the one you are working on in the middle of the space, which is hard to do if you have a pillar in the middle ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was one of my criteria. Need to be able to drive the car right into the middle.

Current plan is to have a lift on one side, possible in the ground as mentions by Sean earlier. The biggest issue I seem to be facing is that the part of the village I'm in is all single garages, most set back a little, and I'll be putting this big double with a room above and moving it forward to be in line with the rest of the house.

Still waiting on plans from the architect at the moment...

As mentioned before Mic light will be key.

If teh garage is teh full depth of teh house I would suggest putting bi folding doors on the back. This will get plenty of light, during the colder months door closed but during the summer months open teh doors fresh air flowing in without the need to open the front door to the world.

That's what she said last night.

Mwahaha! :lol:

As mentioned before Mic light will be key.

If teh garage is teh full depth of teh house I would suggest putting bi folding doors on the back. This will get plenty of light, during the colder months door closed but during the summer months open teh doors fresh air flowing in without the need to open the front door to the world.

I think if I suggest bi-fold doors on the garage I may get shot but it's definitely a good shout. Airflow and light need to be good.

If we go ahead it'll mean blocking up one of the kitchen windows. I've suggested we just replace it with one of those switchable clear/opaque glass panels so I can just look at the car whilst sitting in the kitchen... that didn't meet with instant approval...

We're nearing completion of our house build - we had permission for an underground garage and have made a start although might not finish until Spring. The internals are 10500 long and 6500 wide, so hopefully room for 4 cars and plenty room at the sides for workbenches etc.. I would have preferred it a bit longer, say 11500 but was going to mean gouging out a lot of hillside. This is a pic of progress so far.

I've gone for the widest door I can (4750) which will be sectional but with a pedestrian door built in. I don't think there will be any natural light in the garage as the roof will be pretty much car park spec and will be able to park on top of it if needed.