Storm Warning

Window scraper - Remanufacture

Hi All,

I've started making enquiries about getting a production run of window scrapers done, in particular the left side as it is NLA.

Does anyone have a new one (or very good one) tucked away they are will to lend me to have the tooling produced? - or just sell to me.

Would there be much interest in this?

Until they have seen the part, they cannot be sure it is possible (without a prohibitive cost) or indeed give me a price.

I'd have to stump up the costs for tooling and order enough units to make their minimums. I've no interest in profiting from this, but I also don't want to be stuck with a load of them!

Cheers

Did you check with Heritage and VW Classic Parts first? They recently remade the roof gutter trims and this was happening while someone else had made some reproductions, with both being ready about the same time. It's just worth checking to save on expenses and duplicate effort.

I can imagine there being massive interest tbh! I for one would definitely want one.

I have a good ish 2nd hand one, only problem is I intend to use it as the car is due for paint within 3 weeks.

Hi All,

I've started making enquiries about getting a production run of window scrapers done, in particular the left side as it is NLA.

Does anyone have a new one (or very good one) tucked away they are will to lend me to have the tooling produced? - or just sell to me.

Would there be much interest in this?

Until they have seen the part, they cannot be sure it is possible (without a prohibitive cost) or indeed give me a price.

I'd have to stump up the costs for tooling and order enough units to make their minimums. I've no interest in profiting from this, but I also don't want to be stuck with a load of them!

Cheers

Just for the benefit of myself and perhaps others.. are you referring to the left hand side as if your standing in front of the engine bay ? in which case the drivers side UK spec is "off side", Or are you sitting in the drivers seat ? then we are talking of the passenger side "near side" on a UK spec car.

If its the drivers "off side" UK spec window scraper then I would be up for one.

That's the right one !

The right one or the correct one???

I would certainly be interested in a new one, made do with one from a door I bought on eBay when I couldn’t get one to finish the car after paint. I do however struggle to see why the RHS has been available for so long but not the LHS, as mentioned above, you’ll likely go through a world of pain getting a good replica just for Classic Parts to wade in with genuine ones!

It's the UK Near side that is NLA, left as sit in it.. I said left and not N/S to not confuse those who drive on the wrong side seems I failed!

My concern too about classic parts getting production going!

Anyone got a good one to template? I'm awaiting an update from classic parts but will try to price up a clone in the mean time.

As jo said in a previous post about scanning and flipping it. I would have gladly lent my spares out but I’ve recently sold them . I do have a brand new drivers side though. Ok I’m not up on todays tech stuff but surely in this day and age it can be rotated on a computer 3D cad like machine so it will draw the opposite side ?.

Classic parts responded:

I can´t tell you if or when we reproduce the part.

We are in cantact wit he former factory and we are waiting for a response.

I'll pick up the driver's side and at least get a quote, then have it if they don't go back into production formally.

I think speaking for most Corrado owners , the window scrapers seals finish the car off nicely after a paint job,And always end up getting bent, damaged or deteriorate with age.

I think if the obsolete side can be remanufactured to a good standard then it will sell like hot cakes.

Putting the 2 scrapers side by side, I think the suggestion to scan the driver's side (535837474A) and flip it should work.

If that doesn't work, I may be willing to lend you a passenger side scraper (535837473A) so long as it comes back to me in the same brand new condition.

Before anyone asks, the scraper is not for sale... hen's teeth :-)

Regards, James

It's the UK Near side that is NLA, left as sit in it.. I said left and not N/S to not confuse those who drive on the wrong side �� seems I failed!

You have not failed, its me that may have confused the situation (must be all the hot weather), So left hand is as your sitting in the car.

I would still be up for a Near side window scraper if re-manufacturing is an option.. For some reason I thought it was the off side one was NLA doh.

I think speaking for most Corrado owners , the window scrapers seals finish the car off nicely after a paint job,And always end up getting bent, damaged or deteriorate with age.

I think if the obsolete side can be remanufactured to a good standard then it will sell like hot cakes.

Yep. am sure we would have some too.

Putting the 2 scrapers side by side, I think the suggestion to scan the driver's side (535837474A) and flip it should work.

If that doesn't work, I may be willing to lend you a passenger side scraper (535837473A) so long as it comes back to me in the same brand new condition.

Before anyone asks, the scraper is not for sale... hen's teeth :-)

Regards, James

Thank you, I think I've sourced a new drivers side, when it arrives I'll send it off for a quote, if they can't flip then I'll message you about the other one. No idea how long the process will take.

Cheers