dan

High level 3rd brake light

It looks similar to the one I had fitted. It was fitted to the plastic trim at the rear of the headlining on the car, not the tailgate. So wiring was simple - under the trim, then behind the c pillar trim and boot side carpet to the light cluster.

If it were on the tailgate, you'd probably just route the wiring to join the rest of the tailgate loom where it enters the car, then as above, behind the c pillar trim.

By the way, the main reason I removed it again was because the light isn't shielded/directed - it meant at night the rear brake light would light up the whole of the rear of the interior of the car in red light

It looks similar to the one I had fitted. It was fitted to the plastic trim at the rear of the headlining on the car, not the tailgate. So wiring was simple - under the trim, then behind the c pillar trim and boot side carpet to the light cluster.

If it were on the tailgate, you'd probably just route the wiring to join the rest of the tailgate loom where it enters the car, then as above, behind the c pillar trim.

Good idea about not mounting on the tailgate directly. Means you don't have to thread a new cable from there to the light cluster. That's where the problem was for me.

Edited by fla

I always liked the look and idea of having the US spec factory third brake light, and have all the parts bought including the light, holder, loom plug and a loom I made up, but have never got around to fitting it because the car hasn't made it much needed trip to the bodyshop yet and is long overdue.

Someone on here had a really cool one where they put pin hole LEDs in the spoiler.

The aftermarket ones in Halfrauds etc. always have the problem of how to attach them securely and make them look factory - although I have had them in a few other cars.

Where should these connections go for the third brake light? I cant seem to get it to work in any combination...

The grey with black stripe is the negative for the light.

Thanks 

Hasan20201011_165340.jpg

I guess i should think a bit more first! 31 for ground and BR for live!

Had to remove the resistor for the led indicators but will prob use a body earth for the brake light

Anyway they're there for anyone for any future installs

Edited by fla

I was just about to tell you BR for the 12V…I grounded at an earth stud in the tailgate.

But as you suggest, 31 is always ground of course!

E1C7AB5E-D1CC-43F2-8223-7F004387580B.jpeg

Edited by tonedef