Keyo

Black magic returns home

I thought it was dependant on country of sale/climate

That would make sense but Vince said emissions which would also make sense as there was a change in emissions law towards the the last couple of years of the Rado manufacturing life span.

I have a single open slat on mine and it has aircon !! I would have expected all slats should be open for maximum cooling effect..

I have a single open slat on mine and it has aircon !! I would have expected all slats should be open for maximum cooling effect..

You can get a 3 opening slat or known as a 5 grill from VW Heritage for about £50 , its an option.

Put latebay in voucher code and I think you get 10 % off.

https://www.vwheritage.com/535853653a-front-grille-with-hole-for-badge-5-slat-in-black-vw-spare

Edited by Keyo

Thanks for the link. Unsure what is on mine but since it is held on by gaffa tape I should buy a replacement.

Very happy with the new grill, It's an original VW part which I was happy to see. The car should cool a bit better with the new grill and the three openings, with the new decals and fog lights it has refreshed the nose quite nicely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97293[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97294[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97295[/ATTACH]

Nice, not usually a fan of black badges but looks good on yours, likely because of the red VR6 badge. I like the wheels too.

I want mine back now.

Nice, not usually a fan of black badges but looks good on yours, likely because of the red VR6 badge. I like the wheels too.

I want mine back now.

Thanks I have got a new OE silver one with a black circumference but my tailgate decal is black so thought I would match it up. I wonder how many of these grills they have left because if you get the old cable/trumpet snapping on the bonnet release you might have to crack open the grill , sort of part that would be good to have a spare or two.

Bet you can't wait mate with that honed engine head, very nice !!

Alloys BBS RS771 IMO they are the bargain split rims in the BBS world, grab a set for a good price while you can .

Boot lid opening compartment seal is now obsolete, managed to source one of these for a T4 almost identical and no boot leaks after a few months. Very happy it's quite cheap. You can cut the length with a set of kitchen scissors.

Comparison picture.

Not letting me load picture or link to seal will update another time when the site is operational.:scratch:

Edited by Keyo

Hi fella, understand you're keeping the rado. Good to hear! Always wonder if I am doing the right thing keeping hold when a regular sells up...

Anyway, was just wondering how you've got on with the JP Starter Motor? Noticed you had it in your parts list at the beginning of the thread. I was looking at replacing mine (it used to make a screeching noise on startup and I discovered on removal the brass collar around the shaft had broken in two - the two may be related) and can only really see the JP option from VW heritage for reasonable money. Their site lists it as "good quality" rather than "top quality" so was unsure... but on the other hand they don't tend to list anything really poor and options are limited!

Golf MK4 V5 starter fits and those who have say its an upgrade / improvement

Golf MK4 V5 starter fits and those who have say its an upgrade / improvement

i have one of those on my VR Dox so can confirm they fit fine

Well what I would say guys in regards to a starter motor, My JP group starter has gave me no issues, cant say that for the JP Mass Sensor !. In reflection though with my MK2 Golf I sent off my starter to a re manufacturing company in Manchester, think they refurbished my Bosch starter for £60 and my alternator for £120.00. Comes back sparkling with new fittings, paint and internals. You can't beat Bosch so the way I would go is send it off to get it refurbished, only a weeks turn around . Vince at Stealth follows the same procedure = refurbished stock is better than aftermarket. I can drop the link of the company if any one is interested. One thing you have to watch with Heritage with starters motors and alternators is they sell it if it fits but might be under powered on the amp etc. From factory is best, you know it has the correct spec so refurbishment is the way forward.

Edited by Keyo

Been over to AMOS today re stocking on parts , got myself a mint set of internal window scrapers both sides x4 trims , 3 front indicator lenses, plenty of rare parts I grabbed today :dance:

i have one of those on my VR Dox so can confirm they fit fine

Me too. Higher power output so it's like a more modern starter and turns over/starts much quicker than a standard sluggish one.

I was trying to sort out my rear bumper corner clips as the corners were loose and noticed furthest back you can go on the rear frame I have some rust that will need cutting out , its behind the bolts that hold the rear bumper on, fuel filler side. Will be a bumper off job so going to refresh the whole area with new brackets and bolts etc as do not want to visit this area again for a long time to come.

These are the new parts I purchased today and will be parts used for the underside rear bumper refresh . Back to body shop she will go for full inspection any welding, paint and undercoat. Best to get on to it quick to make it less of a job.

Rear corner bumper clips x4 with seal 191807193 ebay

Rear bumper heat shield 535807517 Heritage

Bumper clips x9 535804538 Heritage

Rear right bumper bracket 535807331 Heritage

Rear left bumper bracket 535807332 Heritage

Bolts for brackets N01024016 x4 + washers N01152527 x4 + bolts for brackets N90309201 x4 + N91017701 pop rivets for heat guard x6 VW Dealers

Firstly I always check if the dealers have the bolts available, everyone else that sells them puts on top of the dealers price so always cheaper at the dealers as they give me trade price. got to know the parts guy well.

Once the bumper is off Im going to have the the bumper Iron powder coated. Will get the back of the bumper area painted/ sealed and the rust spot cut out at the body shop.

So there you go chaps that is the parts for a full bumper refresh !

Edited by Keyo

Any chance of the part number for the golf b5 starter guys or are they all the same.

If you look in the link I posted for the V5 Bosch motor in the thread above, select "Replacing OEMs" and it will show you the VW part numbers - I think any of the Golf V5s will fit as all those engines are all a derivative of the VR with one cylinder chopped off.

Cheers, for the info and apologies for hijacking the thread - think I'll give the V5 starter a go, and get the alternator refurbed. Typically the dealers were no help, reckoned the part number from the link above was for a 1990 golf, not the V5 and as I didn't have a Mk IV reg that was that. Put the Bosch part number into a few other places though and they seem to be readily available for not ridiculous dollar:

https://www.motor-doctor.co.uk/products/1157162-starter

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/1157162?search=BOSCH%20Starter%20%20(0%20986%20017%20000)

Interestingly both say it fits a Corrado.

If the part number is rubbed off on the alternator it's a bugger as most alternators were installed on specification/options of car in factory , I imagine on all late VR6 with leather seats, mirrors they had the highest amp , that is another reason I sent mine off to be refurbed in the case of my Golf because it has electric windows, mirrors etc. What was the KW on your original starter motor ?

The above links are actually the same company they have loads of sites but have different branding, buycarparts uk is another one of their brands.

I highly recommend these guys for reconditioning they did my alternator and starter. Came back looking like new. 1 week turn around , think it cost me about £150 for starter and alternator including 24hr return delivery.

https://www.qxcomponents.co.uk/

QX Components Ltd

David Pilgrim

69, Higher Road

Urmston

Manchester

Greater Manchester

M41 9AP

United Kingdom

Edited by Keyo

Ah I meant the part number for the V5 starter motor - like the idea of having a bit more oomph to start. Will definitely give QX a go for the alternator though, thanks for the tip.

Noticed you'd used Amos motors for some bits, never heard of them before but might give them a shout as been struggling to source a replacement radiator support.