Keyo

Black magic returns home

I emailed the seller of that Corrado - he said - "it obviously wasn't scrapped, I spoke to the DVLA and they said fill out a V62". It did take him days to get back to me so I would assume that was done on purpose to limit the time available to get a response from DVLA.

Some googling and it appears you can put it back on the road. DVLA will probably put a CAT marker against it but I'm not clear on which. Either way even if it was put back on the road it wouldn't be worth much with a CAT marker. Probably best a parts car. 

4 hours ago, pfnsht said:

I emailed the seller of that Corrado - he said - "it obviously wasn't scrapped, I spoke to the DVLA and they said fill out a V62". It did take him days to get back to me so I would assume that was done on purpose to limit the time available to get a response from DVLA.

Some googling and it appears you can put it back on the road. DVLA will probably put a CAT marker against it but I'm not clear on which. Either way even if it was put back on the road it wouldn't be worth much with a CAT marker. Probably best a parts car. 

cant see how they can put a cat marker on it if it has not had an insurance pay out of some sort?

is the  original reg not known?

Maybe I am getting it confused with a car that has been declared scrapped by the DVLA - insurance write off sort of thing where the DVLA demands the car is scrapped.

I can't find any info on cars that are at scrap yards and wanting to be put back on the road. Maybe it is possible if the DVLA don't know it's scrapped. Odd on this car though as the DVLA knows it is scrap - someone did a HPI on it above. I suppose it is a case of buyer beware and do your HPI check before purchase.

I think the biggest issue with this car apart from starting to look like a bronze age relic is the seller seems to of got of hold of the car and appears to be a chancer - good luck finding out any solid information off them - car best left alone another one will come along - ask yourself why was it left in a field in the first place. 

Edited by Keyo

Agreed, I've no means to buy it and have too many Corrados 😄

Hopefully the person buying is either a breaker or does their searches and either finds this thread or HPIs it before buying. 

17 minutes ago, pfnsht said:

Agreed, I've no means to buy it and have too many Corrados 😄

Hopefully the person buying is either a breaker or does their searches and either finds this thread or HPIs it before buying. 

Its a small world Corrado so I wouldn't be surprised. 

Thinking about doing the oil pump in my Mk2 golf 16V KR. It has new genuine oil sensors etc but its happened twice now when I gave her the beans upto 7K revs and the buzzer goes off with oil light lit. Have no evidence in the paperwork that the oil pump has ever been changed. After looking to my horror the only available pumps for a KR is Valeco + Topran _ JP Group. However for the 2.0 9a block you can get a KOLBENSCHMIDT Oil Pump 50005801- meant to be a good brand- will this be compatible with a KR and if so any negatives- I imagine it just has different gearing and puts out more bumpf.  Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Keyo

12 hours ago, Keyo said:

Thinking about doing the oil pump in my Mk2 golf 16V KR. It has new genuine oil sensors etc but its happened twice now when I gave her the beans upto 7K revs and the buzzer goes off with oil light lit. Have no evidence in the paperwork that the oil pump has ever been changed. After looking to my horror the only available pumps for a KR is Valeco + Topran _ JP Group. However for the 2.0 9a block you can get a KOLBENSCHMIDT Oil Pump 50005801- meant to be a good brand- will this be compatible with a KR and if so any negatives- I imagine it just has different gearing and puts out more bumpf.  Thanks in advance. 

I'd fit a gauge to see what's going on, there's more to oil pressure than the pump - it delivers a volume of oil, the pressure is created by the tight tolerances between the crank and shells (big ends and mains).

Get a hose pipe and hold your thumb over the end, the pressure created will send the the water over a reasonable distance, remove your thumb and the pressure drops as does the distance covered.

Engines don't need massive oil pressure, they do need enough volume to make the crank journals float on the oil without touching the shells that are made of soft lead / tin alloy (white metal). Its difficult to measure oil volume, but really easy / cheap to measure pressure hence why its used industry wide.

I fitted a higher volume oil pump 20 years ago to my 8V GTi, bought from TSR, I think it was meant for a turbo diesel mk2 - the extra volume was needed for the oil feed to the turbo (maybe Vince could help with more info and supply).

3 hours ago, Dox said:

I'd fit a gauge to see what's going on, there's more to oil pressure than the pump - it delivers a volume of oil, the pressure is created by the tight tolerances between the crank and shells (big ends and mains).

Get a hose pipe and hold your thumb over the end, the pressure created will send the the water over a reasonable distance, remove your thumb and the pressure drops as does the distance covered.

Engines don't need massive oil pressure, they do need enough volume to make the crank journals float on the oil without touching the shells that are made of soft lead / tin alloy (white metal). Its difficult to measure oil volume, but really easy / cheap to measure pressure hence why its used industry wide.

I fitted a higher volume oil pump 20 years ago to my 8V GTi, bought from TSR, I think it was meant for a turbo diesel mk2 - the extra volume was needed for the oil feed to the turbo (maybe Vince could help with more info and supply).

Thanks Dox I spoke to Vince this morning and he says 9 out of 10 times if the oil sensors have been changed and spade ends good etc - its the inner workings of the binnacle clocks getting old and been temperamental and told me that I would not need a pump - he did say though a 9a pump even though the shaft is thinner  it works and is an upgrade and stronger.  To be honest mine has only gone off twice in the last year so I'm not going to worry about it- although the oil pressure gauge idea might well lead me to a Votex console - just getting a bit tired of splashing out on these classics. 

A member on here called Matt shared this info with me. Don't ever undersell your cars because the dealers may well think they are worth a lot more. 

Hi Keyo,

Thought the forum should know about this one, but I'm not a subscriber at present so I can't start posts :/. Spotted this lovely blackberry up for sale earlier in the week... now sold... only to find it at a dealer today with an extra 4 or 5K on the price!! cheeky gits, I know that's their trade but come on buying and listing within a day or so exact same car on similar websites seems a bit scummy 😆 anyway didn't know where to put this and know youre pretty active on here so here you go 🙂

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TM_r3mN50GAJ:https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1266545+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009173866216?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1501&make=VOLKSWAGEN&sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&model=CORRADO&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=la26hh&page=1

Edited by Keyo

11 hours ago, Keyo said:

A member on here called Matt shared this info with me. Don't ever undersell your cars because the dealers may well think they are worth a lot more. 

Hi Keyo,

Thought the forum should know about this one, but I'm not a subscriber at present so I can't start posts :/. Spotted this lovely blackberry up for sale earlier in the week... now sold... only to find it at a dealer today with an extra 4 or 5K on the price!! cheeky gits, I know that's their trade but come on buying and listing within a day or so exact same car on similar websites seems a bit scummy 😆 anyway didn't know where to put this and know youre pretty active on here so here you go 🙂

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:TM_r3mN50GAJ:https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1266545+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009173866216?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1501&make=VOLKSWAGEN&sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&model=CORRADO&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=la26hh&page=1

I believe that to be my old car M50 OTH. Never had the chains done or any other engine work while I had it. 
sold it to a guy who said he was going to finish it off and cherish it. 😂

sold it 2 or 3 years ago for £7.5. 

Why did you sell it Shaun ?  The dealer has now posted the pictures- from what I can see the last owner put a new fusebox in - leads and a sunroof motor - hardly a midlife overhaul - more like fixed a few faults. 

I would say going off your old registration plate Moth it will certainly leave a hole in their pockets if they pay that dealers asking price. I reckon they saw the Blackberry car that is up for auction 13k - 17k and valued it on that basis. Not knocking down the valuations but if your going to ask top money then I want to see paper work that is several K more then the car is been sold for in the last few years. 

Edited by Keyo

Jeez and thanks for sharing Keyo. I saw that car for sale on car and classic. Feel for the seller but we're at that tricky time where values are clearly rising and it's not obvious what to price your car at if you want to sell it. I must admit I thought that blackberry one looked cheap when I saw it and actually the dealer has it about right.

6 minutes ago, pfnsht said:

Jeez and thanks for sharing Keyo. I saw that car for sale on car and classic. Feel for the seller but we're at that tricky time where values are clearly rising and it's not obvious what to price your car at if you want to sell it. I must admit I thought that blackberry one looked cheap when I saw it and actually the dealer has it about right.

Im not sure mate the bodywork looks nice - but no evidence of chains or any major work - I reckon the seller probably did a part ex and ended up getting 7 - 7.5 for it - maybe even less.- he did well out the car hardly spent a penny and got their money back. If you can get a low miler with good body work you can't go wrong really as that is all some buyers look at unless they know the cars well !

Edited by Keyo

I know, I think although I really don't want leather if I can't find a cloth recaro I am going to have to secumb as my cloth will devalue the value even though it is better than a lot of them😞 

4 minutes ago, pfnsht said:

I know, I think although I really don't want leather if I can't find a cloth recaro I am going to have to secumb as my cloth will devalue the value even though it is better than a lot of them😞 

There is a cream set for £750.00 mate on FB at the moment. 

I suppose people think its a safe bet getting one from a dealer and think because the price is high it must be a great car- any classic car really better off buying direct from an enthusiast if you can. 

1 hour ago, pfnsht said:

Yeah saw them but only black will really work with my white car. 

Reckon 1K - caroline Weston was selling some on fb - I would price them at 1.2  k but let them go for 1K - I sold a set for £750 just wanted them out the way before my Airedale ate them for breakfast. 

Edited by Keyo

Yeah your Airedale is a big boy - lovely dog though. Glad you wrote that acutally as I forgot what breed it was.

Just now, pfnsht said:

Yeah your Airedale is a big boy - lovely dog though. Glad you wrote that acutally as I forgot what breed it was.

I like a dog to be dog none of this pugaroodlepoodlefrenchbull. nonsense. ha ! 

Agreed, I was thinking of getting your typical lab but your dog got me thinking but couldnt remember the breed. Something for when we have moved

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk