Keyo

Black magic returns home

Got there in the end  was pretty hard going to be honest  and nearly gave up a few times- Cox Motorsport Inspired VWMS Corrado Tempest

VWMS Steering wheels - Russia and Belgium 

VSR Manifold France

VWMS Gemini 5+ 6 Gemini Northamptonshire 

VWMS 16 speedlines 7.5J Dave Pinkney Vento Cup Team 

vm1.jpg

vm2.jpg

vm3.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Wow wow wow Keyo! I really like the way you are going with this! I don't know how you pulled that off, I'm impressed! 

I like the wheels, what is the dimensions on those? 

You guys are so lucky to be in Europe and have access to all of that, I'm jealous! 

Can't wait to see all of these on your car mate, cheers! 

8 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Wow wow wow Keyo! I really like the way you are going with this! I don't know how you pulled that off, I'm impressed! 

I like the wheels, what is the dimensions on those? 

You guys are so lucky to be in Europe and have access to all of that, I'm jealous! 

Can't wait to see all of these on your car mate, cheers! 

Thanks ABV

The wheels are 7.5 J x 16 5 x 100- they were designed to take 6 pot AP callipers that came in the VWMS race packs for motor sport- also were on the MK3 rallye prototype. 

This is the car they came off Dave Pinkey and that is Vince from Stealth racing *red top) in photo that use to build the cars up with VWMS packs and also use to be the race mechanic.  

mk3 r.jpg

vento5.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Very nice! Well looks like you are well taken care of with Vince! 

And what is the ET on the wheels? 

That silver golf MK3 is amazing! 

I'm curious to know the ET because my wheels, the schmidt modernline also in 16 7.5 with ET25 I don't clear the DE brakes, I had to shave off the metal plate behind the pads to make them barely fit. So if I had opted for ET35, I would have at least a 10mm spacer. So I'm wondering if it's the design of the schmidts that makes them like this? Because you said your rims were designed to clear a 6 spots caliper.

10 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I'm curious to know the ET because my wheels, the schmidt modernline also in 16 7.5 with ET25 I don't clear the DE brakes, I had to shave off the metal plate behind the pads to make them barely fit. So if I had opted for ET35, I would have at least a 10mm spacer. So I'm wondering if it's the design of the schmidts that makes them like this? Because you said your rims were designed to clear a 6 spots caliper.

This is the et chap. 

If you notice the spokes go from centre to outer rim whereas a normal speedline the spokes go inwards. 

vento9.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Yes, they are going to the outer rim which would explain why they would clear a larger brake setup, very nice! 

2 hours ago, Keyo said:

Got there in the end  was pretty hard going to be honest  and nearly gave up a few times- Cox Motorsport Inspired VWMS Corrado Tempest

VWMS Steering wheels - Russia and Belgium 

VSR Manifold France

VWMS Gemini 5+ 6 Gemini Northamptonshire 

VWMS 16 speedlines 7.5J Dave Pinkney Vento Cup Team 

vm1.jpg

vm2.jpg

vm3.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous mate.  I darent ask what you have spent lately 🤯.

Well done in finding this stuff

2 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Absolutely gorgeous mate.  I darent ask what you have spent lately 🤯.

Well done in finding this stuff

Thanks for your kind words. 

The alloys I got for a steal. The steering wheels I made . The geabox gemini and vsr was mega but will get a rebate off the schrick which I will be very sad to see go as its every bit as special as a VSR imo = schrick is the business- its going to an owner of a  Ottinger Rado so will be cared for . - nonetheless sad as  been with the car since 2003 and feel like im selling part of the cars history. 

Very nice collection of rare parts there - must be worth the price of a second car, with the seats etc. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

6 hours ago, fendervg said:

Very nice collection of rare parts there - must be worth the price of a second car, with the seats etc. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Thanks Fen , 

Im sort of thinking could this possibly be the only Corrado in the world with this combination of parts  been vag motorsport parts? 

Edited by Keyo

keyo its looks like you have ticked the entire corrado options list

cant wait to see the progress with the build

7 hours ago, ger040 said:

keyo its looks like you have ticked the entire corrado options list

cant wait to see the progress with the build

Thanks Geri you wont have to wait long - the gear box is the laegest job as the casing needs a few holes drilling and will have the internals inspected for wear whilst its stripped. 

So the build begins - as they say start off with the easy jobs first. 

Steering wheel now fitted - just had to put an extra cable in as three working horns on wheel but fits fine with a momo hub. 

The VSR came to me in a sorry state so I sanded down bracket and replaced with 3.2 mm black vacuum hose.  After doing some research the vag solenoids where actually made by Pierburgh and still available - however with the vag numbers on them were triple the cost then direct from Pierburg so a bit of cross referencing and I got much cheaper and still original units. The green vessel quick clean and fine sand then lacquer came up new.  Ready available in the UK and cheap. 

Picture below shows where the bracket houses behind the block. 

The biggest difference between a Schrick and VSR is the reservoir vessel is one way rather then 2 way on a Schrick. 

Continued on to sand down VSR and apply VHT 800 degree followed by a lacquer-  picture is displayed with NOS engine trims. 

Im now happy the VSR is now presentable and should be fully functional as flap moves. 

The green vessel is still available new from classic for cheap and I have made a template of the bracket if anyone ever wants one. 

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

j5.jpg

j7.jpg

j8.jpg

j9.jpg

j11.jpg

j12.jpg

Edited by Keyo

1 minute ago, ger040 said:

Looking good👍

Thanks Geri it really was an hour or two work at home - just very happy that the solenoids where so ready available and cheap enough. There is very little info on the ground on vsr install so I will be recording my findings to help others..  

The VSR fitting with the covers are the perfect look, far better than the Schrick. I am interested in your bracket, as that looks a great idea 🧐

Great transformation.  Like Cressa i'd be interested in where and how you mount the reservoir, as i've also got a schrick.  Mine it at the back with is not really ideal just want to find a batter place for it.

I've got the aircon relays located by the engine harness so its a bit crowded there..

Edited by fla

No worries gentlemen send me your postal address . 

Very busy this week but will get them sent out to you asap. 

br1.jpg

br2.jpg

25 minutes ago, fla said:

Great transformation.  Like Cressa i'd be interested in where and how you mount the reservoir, as i've also got a schrick.  Mine it at the back with is not really ideal just want to find a batter place for it.

I've got the aircon relays located by the engine harness so its a bit crowded there..

Not for the Schrick any more as I sold it when I went OBD2 but I still have the reservoir for the climate control. It’s fitted inside the bumper to the front of the left arch liner with the horns, there was loads of space going unused!

34 minutes ago, fla said:

Fla it attaches to the bolts that hold the aux water pump. So behind right side of engine bay- also may I add the solenoid has the same 2 pin plug for schrick actuator. I have also seen these vessels in black but vsr cam with green so keeping stock although looks like a toilet float ha. 

Edited by Keyo

Did the original VSR not come with it's own version of the ECU that had an  extra wire to trigger the solenoid? Some have said there was also a slightly different map on it as well - Vince at Stealth would probably know the definitive answer to that one.

Most of these ECUs have been lost now or left in the car when removing the manifold, hence a lot of people using an RPM controller or Schrick unit to control them - however, that's not the way it was when originally sold.  I've seen 2 of the original ECUs come up for sale on German eBay in the last five years.

42 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Did the original VSR not come with it's own version of the ECU that had an  extra wire to trigger the solenoid? Some have said there was also a slightly different map on it as well - Vince at Stealth would probably know the definitive answer to that one.

Most of these ECUs have been lost now or left in the car when removing the manifold, hence a lot of people using an RPM controller or Schrick unit to control them - however, that's not the way it was when originally sold.  I've seen 2 of the original ECUs come up for sale on German eBay in the last five years.

They came with a black ecu piggy- I have seen adverts for VSR ecu but not sure that is correct to be honest- ultimately I imagine these ecu to be for dizzy cars so I will just be using my schrick piggy as my car is a coil pack -  it just sends a signal to the solenoid to release air. Thankfully have this all ready set up on car but I will be chatting to Vince to make sure the schrick chip I have in ecu as present is suitable for the vsr.  Also the later ecu units that my car and the storms have   better immobilizer on the ecu- much better units. 

It may be that a full blown ecu came with early vsr systems then they upgraded to a piggy black ecu to bring down costs and to be compatible with coil and dizzy. 

Unfortunately I have this ecu piggy but it has a nasty burn mark in casing that is showing the internals of the ecu so I will just use the schrick- I did post the other day a perfectly good cost effective unit that you can use that is weatherproofed and also has the led lights like the shk ecu. 

vsss.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Makes perfect sense that the special ECU came for the dizzy cars only as the VSR came out at the beginning of the VR6 era - they probably did not bother with another one for the coil pack cars - as I said, the only thing worth thinking about is the map, and I think I remember some German article mentioning this - but it may not be needed on the coil packs, and in any case Vince will be able to map your car to perfection anyway once everything is installed.

1 hour ago, tonedef said:

Not for the Schrick any more as I sold it when I went OBD2 but I still have the reservoir for the climate control. It’s fitted inside the bumper to the front of the left arch liner with the horns, there was loads of space going unused!

Good idea! Did you mount it to anything?  You wouldn't by any chance have a pic of how you did it would you?  I also want to relocate the ecu controller, which is under the scuttle near to the cabin fan inlet.  That, or put it in a water tight box and leave it under there.

Hasan