Keyo

Replacement of rear stock speakers

Hi All,

Bit of advice if I may.

My two rear stock speakers, the small ones each side of the rear parcel shelf are basically blown and make really annoying noises.

I believe they are 4x6 (10cm x 15cm). I do not want to do any cutting or chopping of the trims they sit in and have read that a lot of aftermarket ones the magnets are to large at the bottom of the speaker, so people have had to chop the bottom of the rear speaker trim housing to fit them in.

Has anyone fitted rear speakers that are a direct fit without any trim chopping.

I have seen these for sale off ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALPINE-VW-Corrado1988-1995-4x6-10x15cm-2-way-300W-Car-Coaxial-Rear-Speakers/351126529629?epid=57352227&hash=item51c0c5a65d:g:PlUAAOSwQItT0ORH

Any recommendations of a direct fit would be great.

Thanks.

JBL ones are more meaty sounding....ultimately better off with 6x9's

Thanks but keeping the car stock all ready had to source a parcel shelf because the last owner had butchered it.

I’ve never had a working radio in my vr6, the vr wail is much better to listen to and the battery stays charged for months too.

Mac audio used to make direct replacements

I fitted some alpine to my previous Corrado, much better than stock, with no chopping. I cut the plugs off to wire up but apparently you can get adaptors somebody mentioned and posted an eBay link after I’d fitted them

I fitted some alpine to my previous Corrado, much better than stock, with no chopping. I cut the plugs off to wire up but apparently you can get adaptors somebody mentioned and posted an eBay link after I’d fitted them

Cool Shaun , are the Alpine speakers the same as the link .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALPINE-VW-Corrado1988-1995-4x6-10x15cm-2-way-300W-Car-Coaxial-Rear-Speakers/351126529629?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Cheers.

JBL used to do a set of rears and crossovers for the Mk2 Golf that would be a direct fit - the rears were available separately - think they were the JBL GTO6427. You'd still have to cut the wires and fit new terminals though.

Cheers Fen.

Ive just had the dash speaker grills off and the original speakers have been swooped out for these unbranded tweeters . Is this a good or bad thing? The springs are keeping the wooden housing in tight to be fair and the grill hides them.

The front door speakers have got some quality Alpine installed so that's a bonus.

Rear speakers have the original VW Nokia but blown.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97126[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97127[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo

Ha Shaun the Internet is the largest Library in the world !

Well think I'm going to get my butt down Bass Junkies near Wolves , they are the ones selling these off ebay and Ive met the owner several times as he use to own a R129, so reckon he will fit them free on the spot for me .

Front speakers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALPINE-SXE-1025S-4-10cm-2-way-360-Watts-Car-Van-Audio-Coaxial-Speakers/351121245342

Rear speakers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALPINE-VW-Corrado1988-1995-4x6-10x15cm-2-way-300W-Car-Coaxial-Rear-Speakers/351126529629?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

So all in £68 nippers for x4 Alpine speakers fitted, got to be a no brainier. I'll let everyone know if they fit stock.

Edited by Keyo

Do the dash front speaker grills four corner tabs fix the front speakers into the round dashboard housing through the corners of the speaker ? Thanks .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97128[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo

I think opinion is, it’s pointless fitting speakers in the dash for any improvement on sound. People have fitted better tweeters to the dash and said it’s better.

It’s criptic science keyo, lots of options and opinions but your ears and what they hear are what counts. I fitted an active sub in the boot as well for a bit more base in that car.

you’d only get a 2 or 3 inch speaker in the dash my ears would say can’t tell yours might say different.

I spent more having it professionally done on my present car than the one I sold last year and was slightly disappointed it wasn’t as good as my £500 install but someone else might say this one is better all though I doubt it and I’ve got the big door pod things on this one so bigger speakers. Think this alpine head unit isn’t as good as the pioneer as well.

Decisions, decisions

Those connectors look pretty handy if you want to keep the original wiring.

I've never been much for audio builds in any of my cars, so I'm no expert at all - too used to engine noise, and once I have a working radio and can listen to some tunes I'm happy. I prefer to enjoy my music in an armchair or at a gig.

But the the options are there - I guess to really make the most out of it you need things like sound mat, amps or upgraded head units, bass enclosures etc. The consensus is on the Corrado/Golf of the era that the dash speakers are pretty useless and the door pod ones are too small. Rears can be upgraded, but they actually add very little to the sound you will hear in the front. I did a little bit of research a few years ago, and the best bet seemed to be components and crossovers at the front.

I bought a set of the JBL ones for my MkII years ago, but never got around to fitting them, but have them stashed now in case I ever need them for the Corrado.

Do the dash front speaker grills four corner tabs fix the front speakers into the round dashboard housing through the corners of the speaker ? Thanks .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97128[/ATTACH]

I believe you will need to remove or bend up two of the opposing tabs to fit the Alpines.

I'm not much of an audiophile myself either but clattering blown speakers are quite an annoyance so would just like to remedy that really.

I'm not much of an audiophile myself either but clattering blown speakers are quite an annoyance so would just like to remedy that really.

Ha ha, understood. Just unplug them and be done with it! But looks like both Alpine and JBL should have decent replacements for the rears.

Keyo I have the alpine set you're referencing to fit

SXE-1325S

SXE-4625S

SXE-1025S

They were sold a direct replacements to me without the need for any adapters, they even have wiring adapters in the box.

I'm just waiting on some dynamat to line the doors before fitting.

Keyo I have the alpine set you're referencing to fit

SXE-1325S

SXE-4625S

SXE-1025S

They were sold a direct replacements to me without the need for any adapters, they even have wiring adapters in the box.

I'm just waiting on some dynamat to line the doors before fitting.

Nice one P Ill have a look at the speaker part numbers you have listed.

Talking of door cards I've got some door membranes sheet and double sided butyl tape sitting next to me, basically had a Birmingham Bin bag and decorators tape in the door card lol ! I think the front speakers are worth fitting because they are 2 way and have in built tweeters.

Edited by Keyo

Just took the rear Nokia speakers out the housing, I can confirm they are like a wafer fin crisp lol, glad Im changing them.

Haha they are pish. It’ll make a big difference swapping them out. More effect than putting an England football team against the Dutch

They felt like a Moths wing .

Also ordered some original door card screws and door pull screws from Seat Hortons, had a couple missing from the door and speaker door cards . Free delivery.

SCREW N 01414112

SCREW N 90157501

http://www.seatpartsshop.co.uk/

Was looking at the door card membrane, going to be a crap job removing the old waterproof tape.

Edited by Keyo

Changed out the rear stock speakers today for the Alpines. Took me under 20 minutes to take out the rear speaker/parcel shelf housing and fit the new speakers in. The speakers fit in fine without modding the speaker trim housing, the nuts and stock rubbers are a little large but pinched on the speaker fine at an angle, just don't over tight. I can vouch this is the best £40 I have spent on my car yet for speakers and adaptors, what a difference no clatter tat tat anymore!!

Edited by Keyo