Is it worth publishing the wiki in to a book for future protection .

So old SKOOL but an absolute brilliant suggestion. I would have one to keep with the Bentley Manual

C'mon Toby, let us all know what you are thinking

Great idea, is it possible to be done as an eBook, published on Kindle? Then can forum can get some money and updates can be made periodically?

For those wanting wiki pages, I have managed to access some of them using the way back machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130313102124/http://wiki.the-corrado.net/heater_matrix_replacement.html

The home page has no menu on the wiki, but if you click sitemap on here:https://web.archive.org/web/sitemap/http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html

Then can select sub pages on outer of the blue wheel...

If you find any links in the forum to old wiki pages you can just put them straight into way back machine and with a bit of luck they'll load.

If resurrection of old Wiki isn't practical, I'd happily look at an alternative solution we can contribute to? And port over any content we can find.

You can search for pages from the wiki using Google:

"site:the-corrado.net wiki " in the search field should return some results.

Does anyone have any contact details for Toby t700bes ? I messaged about helping with Admin work and get the forum fixed - noticed he hasn't been active since August, so I emailed his work account, it bounced.

To be fair he replied a month ago to me when I mentioned a spam issue. Hopefully he will reply to us all with this thread

What are the costs and what do you really need in the way of cash to keep this alive???

This. What are the actual costs of running a forum?

The way I understand them, is phpBB or WordPress with phpBB plug in are basically free. Just have a yearly/monthly cost for the corrado.net domain. Where things get complicated, especially these days, is bandwidth costs......image hosting in other words. Can that not be circumvented by people ...'ing the pictures from their own image hosting accounts?

I can't imagine the costs are so vast that they can't be split out across 4 or 5 very active members who have the time to put into it?

The trouble with paid memberships is it's very off putting, especially for newbies when Facebook is free. People don't really want to pay £10/month (or what ever) only to get a forum that's quiet as a morgue in return, which let's face it, it pretty much is these days, no offence! Forums are as much about building relationships as they are a common interest and information resource. This place used to be THE place to go for friday night bants and giggles....but I guess people move on and life gets in the way!

Edited by Kevin Bacon

I suppose in a way your right Kev.

Anyone that’s been here for 10 years or more knows the value of the forum, newbie’s will not .

I’m 50 (just ) lol , I still have FB , but there’s a fair few on here that don’t and will never have a FB account, some of these are very knowledgeable, so it would be a shame to loose them. I suppose we all are in a way though , you don’t own a Corrado for 11 years or more without gaining knowledge and can help people out . FB is good for quick answers but there’s no way of looking back for answers like the wiki we have on here . Yes things are quiet these days . I really hope the forum gets back on track and the photo situation gets sorted .

Well I've overcome my inner rage (kidding, sort of) about the lack of photos and become a contributor. Bigger picture and all that.

I use facebook, it's great, but it's not a forum. We need a forum. What can i do/pay to help? Robin really helped me out on facebook yesterday with my leak situ etc. but the forum is a much better place to do this sort of stuff. At least it will be there for others to see in the future.

Edited by pfnsht

Still no word from our Admin, I'd really like to help update/fix the forum or at the very least help ensure it isn't going to vanish overnight.

Yep I used to be part of a forum some years ago which literally disappeared overnight.... it vanished and the admin was never heard from again.

I’m here guys sorry. I’ve been thinking and will update everyone but my first priority is upgrading vbulletin.

I have a call open with them as the upgrade doesn’t work!

Once the forum is more secure I’ll get working on a read only with post rights for members and other changes to help keep the forum alive.

Several people have issues with logins at the moment so we need to do this.

Contact details below:

Personal email: [email protected] (don’t use this for support enquiries)

Support email: [email protected]

I’m not planning on shutting this forum down!

I’m here guys sorry. I’ve been thinking and will update everyone but my first priority is upgrading vbulletin.

Once the forum is more secure I’ll get working on a read only with post rights for members and other changes to help keep the forum alive.

Contact details below:

Hi Toby,

that's great news about keeping this Forum going.

Much appreciated.

Also regarding logging on issues BAFF who's a member on here can't log on,

he text me roughly 2 weeks ago and I sent you a PM on the same day.

Many thanks

Si

Contact details below:

Thanks for responding... I tried the email on your website and it bounced btw.

Will the upgrade bring the images back?

Firstly – thank you Corrado Forum for the years of late night reading of random threads. I really hope this forum is around for years to come.

Whilst I’ve not been on CF for as long as some, I do know the merge of CF and CCGB has been mentioned several times over the years, but for various reasons never happened.

Having read this thread, I decided to pose the question to our committee and the initial responses have been really positive (most of us have used CF over the years). I therefore suggest it makes absolute sense for us to have an initial chat to scope the art of possible – thoughts?

I suggest this is a really good time as well. CCGB is growing steadily (both free Facebook and paid full membership), we continue to have good attendance at shows/events, several socials this year and we ran a couple of fantastic road trips to Wales and Cornwall (Lake District and Wales in 2020). Some of you may also have noticed, in the background we have just launched our new website, much improved and now secure. What we haven’t managed to sort yet is a replacement for our old forum or create a new wiki…. hence reaching out now with this post.

One thing I would like to raise - it concerns me to read comments such as: ‘they’re proud and protective of their club to the point it’s more important than the Corrado itself. Since I’ve been here there’s not been too much harmony between the two’

Yes we are very proud and protective of CCGB, but I simply don’t agree with the rest of the comment. Even if that was true in the past, let’s put any such nonsense behind us. I can categorically state there is no ‘us and them’ from our perspective – we are all passionate about the Corrado – so let’s have a chat.

Let me know how best to get in touch and when is convenient.

Regards,

JamesGS

Membership CCGB

Edited by vr6monkey

Firstly – thank you Corrado Forum for the years of late night reading of random threads. I really hope this forum is around for years to come.

Whilst I’ve not been on CF for as long as some, I do know the merge of CF and CCGB has been mentioned several times over the years, but for various reasons never happened.

Having read this thread, I decided to pose the question to our committee and the initial responses have been really positive (most of us have used CF over the years). I therefore suggest it makes absolute sense for us to have an initial chat to scope the art of possible – thoughts?

I suggest this is a really good time as well. CCGB is growing steadily (both free Facebook and paid full membership), we continue to have good attendance at shows/events, several socials this year and we ran a couple of fantastic road trips to Wales and Cornwall (Lake District and Wales in 2020). Some of you may also have noticed, in the background we have just launched our new website, much improved and now secure. What we haven’t managed to sort yet is a replacement forum or new wiki….

One thing I would like to raise - it concerns me to read comments such as: ‘they’re proud and protective of their club to the point it’s more important than the Corrado itself. Since I’ve been here there’s not been too much harmony between the two’

Yes we are very proud and protective of CCGB, but I simply don’t agree with the rest of the comment. Even if that was true in the past, let’s put any such nonsense behind us. I can categorically state there is no ‘us and them’ from our perspective – we are all passionate about the Corrado – so let’s have a chat.

Regards,

JamesGS

Membership CCGB

Exactly why I am a member of both. I hope the future is together

I suggest this is a really good time as well. CCGB is growing steadily (both free Facebook and paid full membership), we continue to have good attendance at shows/events, several socials this year and we ran a couple of fantastic road trips to Wales and Cornwall (Lake District and Wales in 2020). Some of you may also have noticed, in the background we have just launched our new website, much improved and now secure. What we haven’t managed to sort yet is a replacement for our old forum or create a new wiki…. hence reaching out now with this post.

Regards,

JamesGS

Membership CCGB

Well said - I'm a member of both and I think there is great potential to explore here.

Firstly,

Thanks for enrolling me in this forum - somehow I'd completely missed that it existed prior to a Facebook post about it - oh well, better late than never I suppose.

Secondly, although I'm new, and not aware of what's happened before, but I read in a recent Practical Performance Car (the direct descendant of the much-missed ‘Cars and Car Conversions’ of the ‘70’s/’80’s), that someone has begun the exercise of rescuing Renault discussion forums.

I quote:

“It’s a weird sign of the times that once-busy forums and discussion groups have died away, as everyone just argues on Facebook instead.

A great deal of hard-won experience could be lost, which is exactly why the guys at TurbRenault.co.uk have used a generous database donation to rescue all the old threads from Clio16valver.co.uk.

That’s not all – they’ve also rescued boards from Retro-Renault, Renault 21 Turbo Owners Club, Renault 5 Gordini and Renault 5 Turbo Forum.

If you know of other Renault-related boards worth saving, email

Now, I don’t know whether the organisation behind this is attempting to simply hoover up all the info, or it’s a benevolent, non-commercial offer. In either case, might it be something the CF need to consider before valuable stuff gets lost forever?

I'm also a member of the Ginetta Owners' Club, and we recently suffered the trauma of a 'server meltdown' losing the full website and we also lost the on-line backup of the site - along with a wealth of years of irreplaceable valuable first-hand knowledge and experience, which, sadly, it transpired, no-one had kept an 'off-line' backup of, probably exactly the same sort of info that populates forums just like this one.

I look forward to a few 'trawls' through existing threads to discover more of the info I need to assimilate for my G60 when the weather is grim and the nights are long!

Joe G