ABV-VR6

My long term VR6 Project

Great update JF and some really superb work you've carried out.  I do like the way you've planned everything too.

Hasan

Agree with the above, great work! I must admit, I have always loved the modernlines! 

Not sure about the offset though, I always thought 35 was perfect for 7.5" wheels. Interested to see how they fit though. 👍

Thanks mates, really appreciate the support!

Sean, I guess instead of saying flush fit, maybe I should have said that I wanted 1/2" poke with the wheels. I hope it will work because that would be a huge and costly mistake...
That's what it was recommended by them... We'll see but in a while!

Cheers!

Got my parts back from powder coating and I'm super happy with the result! I didn't wanted anything too glossy, more like satin or the OEM finish.
I do believe that all those days I spent sanding, wire wheeling, filing those parts made a hell of a difference, the finish is so smooth they're seriously better than new.
I'm missing a few parts still (ordered but shipping is so slow) I'll slowly put it back together and I can't wait! Now I'm getting excited!
Oh, and for all those bolts that are NLA, I treated them with a black oxide solution and they came back the way they were originally... See the before and after picture.
I hope all is well with you mates! Cheers

IMG_20201230_144446559.jpg

IMG_20210105_151040035_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210106_160435318.jpg

IMG_20210107_142230290.jpg

IMG_20210122_164433887.jpg

IMG_20210111_104925034.jpg

IMG_20210123_103915539_HDR.jpg

They all look superb. It must have felt like xmas for you getting all those back.  And the bolts look superb. 

Loving the ARB in red, wishing I’d thought if that when I had mine done! Looking forward to seeing it all reassembled.

Wow they look new great job- as you say if you prep them yourself your on to a winner- its good to get rid of pitting as once powder coated water can sit in the pits and rots. - I think it also helps that your car was a very good buy in the first place. How is your fan support beam and double fan shroud.   

Thanks to all of you for your positive comments, that keeps me going and indicate me that I'm heading to the right direction. After all, I've never done anything like that, I improvise almost every steps so it feels good. Cheers and stay healthy! 

6 hours ago, Keyo said:

Wow they look new great job- as you say if you prep them yourself your on to a winner- its good to get rid of pitting as once powder coated water can sit in the pits and rots. - I think it also helps that your car was a very good buy in the first place. How is your fan support beam and double fan shroud.   

Absolutely Keyo the car is in amazing condition to start with! So far, other than those rear carrier hex bolts I never had to fight with any other bolts...

I found light surface rust on the welds in the rear beam, the reinforcing bar inside the rear beam had heavy pitting. The K frame had a bunch of small dots from what looked like brake fluid leak from a while ago. And finally some surface rust on one of the engine mount bracket. Beginning of light surface on the axles, control arms, brake dust shields and brackets for the hand brake cables.

The picture of parts before powder coat, the shinny spots needed attention. The axles, I wanted them smooth so I put them to bare metal all the way. I wanted to keep the oem ones even though it was a lot of work and not really cost effective ( I bought all new ends and all new oem boots) because I've heard the oem axles are the best and powder coating them required full disassembly. I'm doing this mainly preventative work of what eventually will happen. I want to keep the car and I think like in construction, starting on a solid foundation is key. 

These were my phase one of powder coat. Yes, the rad shroud and support along with all brackets and anything that needs attention in next (phase 2 is under the bonnet). But ya, the shroud has zero rust! And the support as light surface rust in one corner that's it! I was very surprised! 

Cheers mate

Alright quick update mates!
I had a few days off and worked on my car! The reassembly is starting, the boxes of parts are getting low, feels awesome!

First I started by installing the bearings and hub in the knuckle. That was not that difficult (my first time) and after the rear bushings, everything seems simple 😉

IMG_20210124_124112229.jpg

IMG_20210125_165916013.jpg

IMG_20210125_165950937.jpg

Once this was done, I followed by the assembly on the control arms...
I pressed Lemförder R32 rear bushings and Phenix Engineering UHMW bushing on the front. Lemförder ball joints.
Then assembled these to the subframe.
After, I installed the steering rack with new Febi tie rods, Lemförder bellows and OEM steering rack bushing.
All new OEM hardware
Very happy with the result!

IMG_20210209_113751880.jpg

IMG_20210210_123601065.jpg

IMG_20210210_125107891.jpg

Now that the subframe is back on the car, I started to tackle the brakes. Thanks to Cressa and the fantastic "how to" on the DE calipers with I spent quite some times looking at it today.
I've rebuilt the calipers (my first time), I was a little intimidated at first and I don't know why but it was straight forward! Thanks to you guys, I followed the recommendation and bough a rebuilt kit from Big Redd.
Next step, I'm fitting the disks brake, calipers, carriers, stainless brake line... And I can't wait to see how it looks!
More to come (soon hopefully) it's addictive!
Cheers!

IMG_20210211_102742385.jpg

IMG_20210211_113339824.jpg

IMG_20210211_131549510.jpg

IMG_20210211_134029770.jpg

That does all look gorgeous. Does your motor not have ABS? I was expecting to see the shiny rotors.  

It all looks new and gorgeous,  so well done in your efforts 

Thank you!! I'm super pleased with how it looks. It's getting addictive to install parts back on the car. My dream come through after all those years! 

Cressa: I did an ABS delete has I've read too many bad stories on the unit and didn't liked the clunky look in the engine bay. Plus I like basics, the less the better to me and frankly I never liked ABS, I guess I'm old lol

Well, I finally put together the rear beam and installed it back on the car. New OEM hardware all around, Lemföder bushings, MK4 Calipers, Pagid Discs, Akebono pads, Techtonics braided lines. I also replaced the two e-brake cables and clamps. And I finally got around changing my wipers to Audi TT ones. So now the interior, front, rear are pretty much dealt with. I guess next on the list is the engine bay! Cheers

Beam 1.jpg

Beam 2.jpg

Beam 3.jpg

E-Brake.jpg

Wipers.jpg

Ahh looks great - there is something hugely satisfying knowing parts like this are in tip top shape. I joined the Candian Corrado facebook page and saw this and thought it was you - I did comment as well. 

I've not removed an axle (or front subframe before) but all this shiny stuff is giving me ideas. Do you have to line up the subframe/rear axle or is just a case of bolt off and on? The reason I've not done it is becuase I don't want to mess with the cars alignment but it does seem like people do this work at home.