Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

14 minutes ago, GrahamU said:

just a single circlip 😦 no wonder there was so play

I’m sure the VR6 knuckles only have one, the bearing pushes against the cast flange of the knuckle?

2 minutes ago, Dox said:

I’m sure the VR6 knuckles only have one, the bearing pushes against the cast flange of the knuckle?

That's correct! 

15 minutes ago, Dox said:

Ah, I've only worked on G60 and 16v, thought they were the same design just wider, every days a school day

27 minutes ago, GrahamU said:

Ah, I've only worked on G60 and 16v, thought they were the same design just wider, every days a school day

Glad it wasnt just me that thought that.... Although in my defense I had changed the mk2 golf a couple of months ago which had the 2 circlips. But Bentley and the FAG supplied parts suggested 1, which all went together fine.

If anyone wants 2 vr6 hubs that have only done a couple of thousand miles, they are Free..... just pay the postage. 

They still have the inner race on them though 😂😇 I was too idle and have bought new

Managed to fit the nearside bearing. Unfortunately I have some rust on the CV joint to deal with,  but it is one step closer

Always nice to have shiny and painted parts

20230429_122511.jpg

20230429_115229.jpg

20230429_112537.jpg

What did you paint them with? I take it they're not pwedercoated?

They certainly look good though

After cleaning them back to bare metal, I soaked them in Hamblit rust remover, degreaser, anti-rust primer and then some plain Halfords black Enamel spray. All finished off with a lacquer coating. Let's see how long this lasts....

14 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Should last a fair while with your mileage 

😂😂

I'm thinking of getting some rollers in the garage, just so I can drive it.....

I managed to get the car back together, then took the rear wheel off as it needs resealing. Then I dropped the bloody thing face down 🤬🤬😥 Gutted. I think it is only the lacquer that is scratched but don't feel brave enough to do it myself. Smart repair needed maybe.

Atleast I dont feel any issues with my wheel bearings now they are fitted . Just looking for the positive in this situation 

Oh no 🙈. At least the car made it through. Is that the same wheel that glanced the step?

That bloody step 🤣 and yes, so must be jinxed. Took the wheel to be resealed at AP tyres, £16 and an hour's wait. I am not going there again. On the bright side I then stopped off at a smart repair place who attacked the wheel with some rubbing compound  for free. Got home and polished it, then coated the wheel with some sealant to protect it. Unless you are so close to the wheel you can not see it.

New shiny wheel radius wheel bolts fitted all round and the front wheels are nice and tight. Just need to find some locking wheel bolts. I had Mcgard black ones before, what do other people have?

Not done much forever with Karmann. I just keep starting her up and letting her get warm. I have refixed the drivers door moulding as for some strange reason it was hanging off.

Who are people using for insurance? I need to get this done but have a schrick which online stuff does not recognise 

Edited by Cressa

16 minutes ago, James. said:

I use Lancaster. Agreed value and about £160 a year.

Same here, mine was £175 this year, agreed valuation and 3K miles. All mods declared, brakes, suspension, cams,  etc…..Schrick was removed when I went OBD2 as I couldn’t find a replacement manifold at the time.

Edited by tonedef

Thanks Gents. Just done my quote which came in at 280 for 3k miles!! Seems acceptable, just need to be able to get it out of the garage  😂

335 it is now. I forgot to put on suspension and brakes. Hoping for September to get her out  🤞

Posted (edited)

Happy New year everyone.  I'm still no further in this coming out of the garage. I still start her up every week and allow it to get hot and thebfans come on. 

Whilst doing this yesterday I noticed what looked like some kind of fume/smoke slowly rising up behind pcv valve area. This I had seen when the muffler Box had previously gone bang..

I have taken the rubber inlet elbow off that has a slight split at the rear. So fitted the old plastic one and all seems good.  I'm sure I read somewhere that the rubber is a better fit with a Schrick manifold, but the plastic Corrado one fits fine 

No fumes so far. 

This year's mission is when the mk2 can drive out of the way, Karmann can get her alignment done and an MOT .

🤞

20240101_133007.jpg

20240101_133015.jpg

20240101_133049.jpg

Edited by Cressa
Added the pics

Happy new year to you as well and I'm glad to see that it was an easy fix, good way to start the year! Cheers 

Good news on the fix, hopefully you can get this on the road this year 👍

Time moves on and thanks to having man flu and feeling shite I haven't been to work. On Annual leave so seems a waste.... As I felt slightly better today I put the mk2 golf on 4 wheels for its 1st time since engine rebuild etc. Not important,  but it meant that I could drive this out of the way and get the Corrado out.  Treated her to a well deserved wash in over a year and she came out looking good. 

Such a small pleasure 

So in between the business of life i can now get this booked in for its tracking and MOT. 

Time for some insurance quotes again

20240207_122548.jpg

20240207_123619.jpg

20240207_133108.jpg

I love a MK2 (can't afford one these days), but there's no comparison between the Corrado and a more door?

My Corrado is sulking (6 years standing) and won't start ATM

Good to see this back in the daylight again, well done for seizing the moment. We must meet up some time like we said we would about five years ago! Looking like possibly May at the earliest before mine’s out again though, too busy offshore trying to keep the gas flowing at the moment 🙄