Sallyanne

Alarm Recommendations

Hi all

My VR6 has no alarm and has had the immobiliser disabled at some point in it's life so I urgently need to have something fitted. I often park on a busy road so daren't have anything that's likely to go off when vehicles go past nor do I want something that flattens my battery in a fortnight. Can anyone recommend something ultra reliable? I'm not particularly price sensitive - I just want it to work!

See if you can find an alarm fitter has a Toad Ai606 in stock, you’ll not go wrong with that. It was the first job I had done on the VR over 20 years ago, and it still works fine!

Same here. I have the Toad immobiliser, supplemented with a Meta HP alarm install - also gives remote closure of sunroof and windows.

The Toad was on the car when I got it, and was probably fitted over 20 yrs ago. Only thing I had to buy was a couple of spare fobs.

Good luck with finding the Toad Ai606. This is the alarm I was looking for. Still advertised by companies but no one had them. Now discontinued according to 2 alarm suppliers, shame really as that is an awesome alarm. 

I have been looking at a sigma alarm , still undecided... 

My battery goes flat in 2 weeks if the car is not used. Both with the old Scorpion alarm and with the current Toad

Hi all, thanks for your help. I have been trying to find a Toad Alarm but all those that claim to still have them don't respond which is very frustrating! I'm a bit loathe to buy one from Ebay after reading lots of negative reviews about them just not turning up from Southern Car Security (who I've also contacted direct but no response).

My old VR6 had a factory fit alarm which would just about go 4 weeks without flattening the battery which is ideal but it did go off everytime a butterfly flew past so I ended up not using it!

Everyone ignore alarms, home and automotive - they're just an annoyance.

I'd look into having a tracker fitted, that way pros can follow the car real time rather than you potentially confronting a drug deranged physcopath outside your home.

Ah now that's an interesting thought. I have got a steering lock on it anyway so it would have to be a fairly determined thief! 

I've had the toad alarm fitted to my previous 2 corrado's, absolutely faultless (i'm more worried about shoddy fitters!). 

I'd love to fit one to my current C too but with no one having them i'll probably end up going for something else. Anything is better than the antique scorpion alarm i have now, you only have to look at the car and goes off, totally over the top!

45 minutes ago, Sallyanne said:

Ah now that's an interesting thought. I have got a steering lock on it anyway so it would have to be a fairly determined thief! 

I'm pretty sure they can be linked to your phone so act as a silent alarm anyway.

In the 10 years I've been on here I can't remember a Corrado being stolen?

24 minutes ago, Dox said:

I'm pretty sure they can be linked to your phone so act as a silent alarm anyway.

Mine was not stolen, but broken into about 6 months after I bought it (2009 or so), but I blame the fact that I forgot to take the face plate off a rather tasty Nakamichi head unit one evening. They did try to start it, but got nowhere due to the immobiliser.

Now the retro Gamma IV cassette deck puts them off, and I haven't had any trouble since! There are a few dodgy type hereabouts though who would just tow a car away for breaking in broad daylight.

I guess the problem with stealing a Corrado is that with the current low numbers they would be hard to hide or get rid of unless exported - far more likely to be broken and sold off piecemeal I'd say.

1 minute ago, fendervg said:

There are a few dodgy type hereabouts though who would just tow a car away for breaking in broad daylight.

If the car's insured what's the problem? People die from a single punch let alone a stab would or assault with an iron bar.

Posessions are nice, life is precious?

33 minutes ago, ben_wooduk said:

The sound of an alarm is enough to deter many thieves though, so surely that's a good enough reason to get one?

My 80+ (at the time) housebound (alzheimers and vascular dementia) mothers  house alarm packed up 10 or so years ago so I replaced the main alarm control box, because the tamper part of the alarm still worked I had the battery back up sirens screaming for 30 mins or so - no one came to see if anything was going on, no phone calls, nothing.

A month or so ago the local power supply was cut various times one afternoon, everytime local badly maintained (back up batteries flat) meant alarms rang on and off many times as the fault was traced, no one batted an eyelid.

My other half had the battery cease while shopping 15 miles away on her A3, she climbed in via the hatchback (the key in the door wouldn't open it (a good time to find out lol) and drove home alarm blaring, hazards flashing, no one gave a toss..........

I'm a big fan of alarms lol. I have recently fitted home cameras tho to cover drive, road and patio, give the images to the pros and let them sort the scroats

Have  a Toad Ai660 + professional CTV + Airedale King Terrier which the British Army use and ex Police Dog - no issues yet - however my home city has certain gangs  that cause huge numbers of theft as they are operating on a commercial basis - thankfully they seem to go for cars that they can replace panels on cat accident cars - wont be long in till they are clocking the old classics parts have more money in them because obsolete - fingers crossed my garage plans will pass soon as resubmitted.   

Edited by Keyo

my alarm consists of a chain and padlock - so far so good 

where i live the favourite method of car theft now is creeper burgalry - while you sleep

8 minutes ago, ger040 said:

where i live the favourite method of car theft now is creeper burgalry - while you sleep

Sounds creepy all right - that's why my dog sleeps in the hallway as nothing creeping past him- the car thief's round here have actually killed a couple of police officers in the last few years- one even had the cheek when in mid arrest to steal the police car and run over the officer -  honestly its a dangerous place out there these days - worst thing you can have on the drive is a new AMG-M3-RS audi= Range Rovers - even worse dogs getting stolen in the park taken out of the owners own hands and from houses . 

I know a trick leave a spare key that is the wrong key for the car with brand keyring on the side table- by the time they realise they cant work it out they will have probably been spooked. 

Edited by Keyo

On 10/20/2020 at 11:37 AM, Sallyanne said:

Hi all

My VR6 has no alarm and has had the immobiliser disabled at some point in it's life so I urgently need to have something fitted. I often park on a busy road so daren't have anything that's likely to go off when vehicles go past nor do I want something that flattens my battery in a fortnight. Can anyone recommend something ultra reliable? I'm not particularly price sensitive - I just want it to work!

Is the car left for long periods without use? 

On 10/21/2020 at 10:14 AM, Dox said:

Someone tried to steal mine from the previous owner about a month or two before I bought it. They got past the Cat 1 Laserline immobiliser, got it started but were totally defeated by the factory immobiliser!

On 10/21/2020 at 5:13 PM, ger040 said:

Geri there is a guy in N. Ireland that had an attempted car theft on his car a couple of days back - they smashed three of his locks- smashed rear window - rear tailgate glass- his after some parts- his car is only on 78K on the clock and the insurance company are trying to pay him out (low balling rodents) 2.5 K and cat it- he did not get an agreed valuation unfortunately - said I might know someone who might be able to help him out with parts mate. . Chril L old car sold for 17.5 K last month or so - 2.5 k is a joke- guys make sure you have an agreed value dont let this happen to you. 

Edited by Keyo

I would argue that with the Insurance company using recent sales/auction and current cars for sale as backup. I've done it in the past successfully, and it took a long time but they ended up paying out more than twice the original settlement offer.

If the policy holder is not at fault, my opinion is you are entitled to be back in the position you were before the damage - not with your car written of as a CAT and a measly payout. 

As I said before in another thread, I have rarely had positive dealings with a car insurance company.

10 hours ago, Keyo said:

Geri there is a guy in N. Ireland that had an attempted car theft on his car a couple of days back - they smashed three of his locks- smashed rear window - rear tailgate glass- his after some parts- his car is only on 78K on the clock and the insurance company are trying to pay him out (low balling rodents) 2.5 K and cat it- he did not get an agreed valuation unfortunately - said I might know someone who might be able to help him out with parts mate. . Chril L old car sold for 17.5 K last month or so - 2.5 k is a joke- guys make sure you have an agreed value dont let this happen to you. 

If i can help i will Keyo

Rotten lowlife - both those who carried out the deed and the insurance company.

1 hour ago, ger040 said:

If i can help i will Keyo

Rotten lowlife - both those who carried out the deed and the insurance company.

Thanks very much Geri feel bad for the lad but his happy to pay market rate for parts and has also asked if you could recommend someone in the Belfast area or N, Ireland to fit the parts . - will pm his mobile number chap and  if you have the time or want can you drop him a text chap. 

Cheers.  

Edited by Keyo