Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Slow windscreen wipers

My winscreen wipers seems a bit "laboured" when they're on. When travelling at speed on the motorway the upstroke seems fine as the wind helps but the downstroke is much slower. They're Lupo wipers although the problem existed with the rubbish std ones. Could this be due to worn bushes, lack of lubrication or is the motor a bit tired (after 113,000 miles)? Cheers

Mine does exactly the same if I stay under 100mph they're fine over 100 they go really slooooooooow on the backsweep. I ve just put up with it for the last 3 years as I really cant be arsed to do anything about it :D

Same here - my wipers are probably the slowest I've seen on ANY car. Is this normal or should they be that slow and what can you doo to speed them up a tad? I thought it may be a case of oiling the mechanism? If so, is it a motor and mech out job, or can you attack with a can of 3-in-1 from the engine bay?

I've rebuilt my entire wiper mechanism (you're probably not surprised!) and it makes a bit of a difference. The corrado spindles are well bushed and lubed (unlike the MK2/MK1 spindles) so they wear well. It'll be the motor that's the weak link....especially after 10 years frequent use in UK weather.

I find they're fast enough and do the job tbh.

It'll be the motor that's the weak link

Maybe the motor should be removed and lubed?

yeah, that's the main reason I've never bothered trying to 'fix' the valver's

THREAD RESURRECTION!

This was a bit of a nightmare in yesterday's Monsoon conditions on the M25. The wipers were not only slow but juddery (the blades are in good cond.).

Can you rebush the mechanism?

Cheers

have you tried putting rain x on your windscreen?it makes a lot of difference as i found out when my wipers decided to go nuts when doing 80mph on the m25 whilst passing a lorry :shock:

Ive just changed mine over to lupo wipers...and theres still a big patch that they dont cover (( luckily its on the p/s)) ...any ideas?

Mine are pretty slow, has anyone checked to see if there is a big voltage drop on them, if it happens on the headlights, then it can happen on the wipers too. I'd imagine they are drawing a fair bit of current particularly at motorway speeds. Its on my list of things to do, as is an uprated headlamp loom, but I am yet to tackle these items.

Mine does exactly the same if I stay under 100mph they're fine over 100 they go really slooooooooow on the backsweep.

I doubt VW expected people to be doing over a ton in conditions where you need your wipers on!

my wipers arent workin at all, on opening bonnet i seen an arm just spinning round with nothing connected to it!! so when i got home i tried reconnecting it, buts its not going on, the bolt im trying to put it thru seems to have a bit of a bulge on it, so im trying to put enough pressure on it to pop onto it with no joy, any suggestions?