Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Which switched live did you use Tony? Mine is on a permanent live which was the original set-up in mine. If you could advise the connector and pin number that would be ideal! Thanks.

Good question Hasan, and one I cannot immediately answer! I’ll have to get the cover off the car at the weekend (it’s probably about time I gave it a warm up anyway) and take a look. It was definitely something local to the area, possibly the switched live to the head unit.

Good question Hasan, and one I cannot immediately answer! I’ll have to get the cover off the car at the weekend (it’s probably about time I gave it a warm up anyway) and take a look. It was definitely something local to the area, possibly the switched live to the head unit.

OK Hasan, as I guessed it was at the back of the head unit, there’s a brown/red that I spliced in to for the switched

live. I’ve left my Fluke at work so can’t check it now but the current draw was pretty low when I checked it before using that wire and I’ve not had any fuse issues since.

Two new front tyres over the weekend for the MOT due early December. Silly buggers at the tyre place didn't put the centre cap in correctly and now i'm missing

one on the front offside Speedline.

Any one have a spare one up for grabs?

Ta!

Earlier on yesterday I removed my old fuel sender unit, and cleaned out all the old fuel residue from inside of tank.

I wiped the inside of fuel tank out with brake cleaner, just to be safe i.e to remove the fuel vapor as much as possible.

Removed the old rubber seal for sender unit,

the old seal was literally falling to bits,

hasn't done too badly really considering it's 24 years old.

Then had to sort out the old corroded earth wire for fuel tank, luckily had a new one in my collection of spares.

Soldered on the new earth wire but the solder wouldn't stay attached for long on the fuel filler neck metal end guard, so had the idea of rapping bare copper mains wire around the top of filler neck and twisting the two ends so as to tighten it so it would make contact with the metal end guard, then soldered that in 2 or 3 places, then Soldered on the new earth wire to the mains wire, and bingo it worked, even tested it with my multimeter and it works.

Might rap some duct tape around it so no mud or damp will get to it, plus there'll be less risk of the repair coming away.

The problem I had is the small spade connector for the earth wire was completely corroded away on the metal end guard.

I suppose you could carefully weld a new spade connector on, but you've got to be very careful as the heat will melt the plastic tank, plus you've got the fuel vapor fumes, which is why I chose to solder it.

If you do this kind of repair make sure the fuel tank is empty, and try to neutralise the fuel vapor that's left in tank as much as possible, to be honest my fuel has gone stale so I got away with using some brake cleaner.

But if you've drained fresh fuel from your tank then you may have to use an old kettle full of water to boil, and steam out the fuel vapor with the tank upside down, this will neutralise any remaining fuel vapor fumes, but it's not a 5 minute job.

Si

Just started it up for an engine warm as it sits in the garage.

First turn of the key, so always happy with that

Senor Corrado was MOT'd today and is all good for another year. Just a partially seized rear (n/s) caliper needed to be replaced as the handbrake wasn't effectively locking down on both rear discs. Very happy bunny here - could have been worse!!

Took the front end off the car to replace the coolant hoses, thermostat housings and sensors, crack pipe and radiator. All fitted after being flushed out and topped up with VWs finest coolant and distilled water.

There was only one hose I have been unable to get hold of but that one seems fine. And to make me feel better after having spent daft money on the parts, a pipe to the oil cooler had torn, so I have justified doing them.. maybe.

Crack pipe:-After reading lots of threads about it being a pain, I took my time blocking up then cleaning where it fits in the block. It looked good, so I smeared some rubber grease(moly grease) that I had for the sunroof, on both parts and the fit was good. A Corrado Miracle for once.

Most of it is back together but I intend on getting the fan shroud powder coated whilst it is off.

So no fans but I let it get up to 90° and all seems fine. Fingers crossed for no leaks overnight

Changed the VR belt tensioner, runs just like the old one!! Damn

Ha ha - I did this too a while back, with the exact same results!

Ha ha - I did this too a while back, with the exact same results!

Glad it's not just me. :cheers:

Took the upper inlet manifold off to get to the leaking rocker cover gasket. This car is being spoilt at the moment. I just need to decide whether to paint/polish or blast it.....and to get the injectors refurbed whilst I'm at this point.

Took the upper inlet manifold off to get to the leaking rocker cover gasket. This car is being spoilt at the moment. I just need to decide whether to paint/polish or blast it.....and to get the injectors refurbed whilst I'm at this point.

Thinking of getting my injectors refurbed as well - any suggestions as to where would be ok?

Tim.

I managed to get the engine out of my red VR6, first time I’ve went this far, I half expected it to crash onto the floor the minute it was loose but thankfully it didn’t.......I was ready to run anyway:lol:

Photobucket is still a nightmare so only one picture available at the moment

85B05D26-60A0-44D0-B99D-3152A3C91CE2.jpg

Thinking of getting my injectors refurbed as well - any suggestions as to where would be ok?

Tim.

Looking at previous threads, mr injector seems to get good reviews and also autotronix developments which is near me. I'm hopefully going to call and see them this week so I'll post up what happens

I managed to get the engine out of my red VR6, first time I’ve went this far, I half expected it to crash onto the floor the minute it was loose but thankfully it didn’t.......I was ready to run anyway:lol:

Photobucket is still a nightmare so only one picture available at the moment

85B05D26-60A0-44D0-B99D-3152A3C91CE2.jpg

Martin, you certainly outdid my little bit of work. Well done mate. What are your plans with it?

Replaced both bottom ball joints and the nearside steering rack gaiter on the green VR. I wouldn't mind so much but the ball joints were done 3 years ago, the rack gaitor just two. That'll teach me for buying cheap parts from GSF. All replaced now with either Lemforder or Febi/Bilstein items, so ready for it's MOT next week, and thankfully only an hour of my life lost.

Not touched the blue VR for a couple of months now as the camper van resto is at full speed and leaves little time or money for much else :shrug:

Martin, you certainly outdid my little bit of work. Well done mate. What are your plans with it?

Well, I bought this a wee while back so I have to get it fitted, and as it’s OBD2, I need to do that conversion as well :)

4B96F81F-5648-4F79-AEBA-4D74435FC4BD.jpg

Looking at previous threads, mr injector seems to get good reviews and also autotronix developments which is near me. I'm hopefully going to call and see them this week so I'll post up what happens

Great - would be interested in sorting mine.

Great - would be interested in sorting mine.

I dropped them off this morning. I will say they were incredibly polite and helpful. If the service is as good as this I will be very pleased, tho I will post up when I get them

Well, another MOT passed without advisories, just a bolt rotted through on an exhaust clamp which I fixed whilst it was on the ramp. Gotta love a classic car friendly garage.

I dropped them off this morning. I will say they were incredibly polite and helpful. If the service is as good as this I will be very pleased, tho I will post up when I get them

Looks like they’re only 10 miles from me - think I’ll contact them next week.

Tim.

Looks like they’re only 10 miles from me - think I’ll contact them next week.

Tim.

Dropped mine off this morning and Clive said he’d already got some in - presume they were yours Cressa?

Looks like a proper garage and hopefully they’ll turn out ok - at £10 each more than happy!!

Tim.

Dropped mine off this morning and Clive said he’d already got some in - presume they were yours Cressa?

Looks like a proper garage and hopefully they’ll turn out ok - at £10 each more than happy!!

Tim.

Got a phone call to say my injectors are ready. I can't collect until Thursday so I'll post up more then. Tim, where about are you?

Cressa