Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Got my car mot today hasnt turned a wheel in six months and it flew through with no advisories

LOVE MY CAR :D :D

Car Passed MOT

Fitted front splitter

Fitted side bump strips

Fitted that little bit of plastic that goes between the air box and head light plastics.

Fitted the front near side Tow Eye cover I was after, Thanks strimmer :D

Replaced ignition switch, was expecting a nightmare of a job from what I'd read on here, but was a piece of p*ss :) . Also tried once again to respray driver's door, still looks rubbish :shrug:

Replaced ignition switch, was expecting a nightmare of a job from what I'd read on here, but was a piece of p*ss :)

Took me 3 attempts, 2 screwdrivers and a hammer in the end... the right screwdriver helps though

stripped a cheapo rear beam i won on ebay, not very exciting? ... it came attached to a H&R anti roll bar!

Replaced ignition switch, was expecting a nightmare of a job from what I'd read on here, but was a piece of p*ss :)

Took me 3 attempts, 2 screwdrivers and a hammer in the end... the right screwdriver helps though

Yeh, I can see why having the wrong screwdriver could drive you mad as you can't actually see the screw properly to judge the size. Think I was just lucky :)

What started as just a quick wash and dry off turned out to be a mini detail. We got a hose pipe ban in the NW and washing a car using a watering can aint something to look forward to. In the heat I wasn't happy with the finish so I polished the whole of the car then thought to myself "sod it in for a penny in for a pound" then waxed the thing with collinite. Now my arm and shoulder are killing me but at least the VR is looking good. Recooperating drinking lots of cider :D

started stripping and cleaning my ebay special 288calipers, found one of them is crash damaged and not usable... not amused :mad2:

still, the other one has come up well :D

started stripping and cleaning my ebay special 288calipers, found one of them is crash damaged and not usable... not amused :mad2: D

Bummer... did you leave feedback yet? You should be able to send them back if ones no good

yeh you're right, and me and this seller had a fall out already, as he didnt send for a week after i payed, now this!

have sent him the pic below, half of me wonders whether to try and weld it up, but brakes aren't something i want to compromise on.

Ooh i woudn't want to use that again matey but report to ebay for sure, cheeky sod! :bad-words:

yeh a replacement it will be.

giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, the rubber tube that accomodates the sliding bolt inside the hole does cover the crack, so you'd have to strip them to notice, which is worrying as who knows what may have happened if someone had just stuck them straight on.

also makes you wonder what happened to the donor car, assume must have hit something.

Fitted new suede Sparco wheel with OMP fitting kit and a Snap-off boss. Looks fantastic and feels great. Its brought the wheel quite alot closer too, which makes for a more comfortable driving position, as I'm tall and sit a good distance from the wheel normally. Looks and feels far more Sebastian Loeb.

Also, Tim at the Phirm altered the boost pipework into the throttle body to prevent the pipe jumping off, as it did last week under high boost. Now its sorted - and got a new set of plugs - the car's like a rocket ship!

painted and baked 1 and a half 288 calipers and carriers :) reassembled one side with new seals and pads, just need replacement caliper to turn up now...

then fitted the rear H&R ARB.

I think i found the cause of the fault with the MAF wiring, one of the clips in the back of the fusebox was loose, once clipped back in not only did the car seem to run more smoothly but i also had a temp sensor reading appear on the MFA which has been absent for a bit! So (fingers crossed) i have a car that works again! I had nearly started stripping the whole loom looking for breaks in the wiring!

T

Saturday: Clocked, built up and fitted a new IHI turbo charger. (IHI VF22 hot side, IHI VF34 cold side)

On the way home from this years inters the old turbo blew its oil seals and shortly after destroyed its bearings which resulted in one jammed turbo, lots of smoke and oil dripping from the tail pipe, luckily i was only 19 miles from home. On closer inspection of the turbo last week it turns out that when Jabbasport did the conversion they did not fit an oil feed restrictor which is required on the ball bearing VF34 turbo to limit the pressure. No wonder it has always used so much oil.

Spoke to Subaru who supplied more info about the correct oil restrictor banjo bolt. I changed the end of the braided oil feed line for an alloy banjo fitting (http://www.earls.co.uk) and fitted the Subaru oil restrictor banjo bolt. I also added an inline 25 micron alloy oil filter to the oil feed for good measure. Fitted new heat reflective pipe jackets to the turbo water and oil pipes while i had it all apart too.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfold1.JPG[/attachment:2bnpys82]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfold2.JPG[/attachment:2bnpys82]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfold3.JPG[/attachment:2bnpys82]

new.JPG[/attachment:2bnpys82]

Sunday: I took the car to VAGfest everything working great. 4 runs up the strip. The new turbo seems to spool up sooner and the car now feels much smoother and responsive. :cheers:

Next... :salute:

Pulled out most of the stereo system, spare tires, took it for a ride and took a weight of it - filled the tank and weighted it again.

Hopefully get it weighted by the gov people tomorrow so I can get it registered at last......

Parked it in the drive and looked at it for a while and thought, "My MOT's next month." Bugger, then hoped for some dry weather so I can estimate the cost. Then had a sub-thought about how much I hate speedbumps and topmounts and bushes and all things suspension cos my neck aches for dats after I've been lying under it for hours. Then I drove it to the supermarket and didn't care..

Nice short story ^^^ :lol:

Not today but yesterday... fitted new coolant pipe - the one the comes out of the head and into the bulk head for the heater matrix, has a T junction with a pipe going to the throttle body. Wasnt cheap either at £45!! :cuckoo:

Still i can go places with out steam pouring from the car.

Changed my clear side repeaters to 'Crystal' ones, much better :) getting ready to wash the car now...

Almost forgot... just got it back from having a full interior valet £60. Looks like I'll be making do with the cloth seats for another year at least :)

Adjusted the gear change slightly cos it was a bit notchy goint into first gear. Very little room for error making sure the change is good going into first & going into fifth. next...

Clay bar'd the whole car and waxed... paint looks better still.. Spent around 4 hours on it today, not bad considering how hung over I was! :gag:

P1000596shopped.jpg