Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

I tried to replace my rear speed sensors today but failed. Removed the rear wheel, disconnected the sensor from under the seat, removed caliper/disc only to find the dust shield had rotted through. So not only do I still have to change the speed sensor, as I put it all back together, but now need to source a pair of back plates. May as well change the stub axles whilst I'm at it to, as they have rusted quite badly to.

Replaced both front top mounts this morning, and I'm amazed at the difference in handling, feels so much more solid and less clunky, and no wobble at speed or when braking! Then I replaced my broken passenger side door handle for a new one that I'd fitted the stronger release arm to. And finally I sorted out the central locking as my passengers side door was not unlocking with the central locking.It turned out that the air line from the central locking pump was kinked behind the dash and not allowing air to pass through it( probably because someone removed the dash to replace heater matrix and jammed the air line underneath). I routed a new pipe behind the dash and the passenger door now unlocks/locks as it should.

Happy days. :)

Replaced both front top mounts this morning, and I'm amazed at the difference in handling, feels so much more solid and less clunky, and no wobble at speed or when braking! Then I replaced my broken passenger side door handle for a new one that I'd fitted the stronger release arm to. And finally I sorted out the central locking as my passengers side door was not unlocking with the central locking.It turned out that the air line from the central locking pump was kinked behind the dash and not allowing air to pass through it( probably because someone removed the dash to replace heater matrix and jammed the air line underneath). I routed a new pipe behind the dash and the passenger door now unlocks/locks as it should.

Happy days. :)

Where did you get your top mount's mate? and have you got a part no? Cheer's.

Where did you get your top mount's mate? and have you got a part no? Cheer's.

I went to my local motor factors ( John Morgan auto parts) They supplied me with Febi top mount, I think it was just under £15 inc vat for both sides which I thought was really good!

Part number:

357 412 331 A S1 ( this is the part number on the bag) it was top mounts including bearings.

I can honestly say that it has transformed the ride of the car, I'm really surprised at the difference as I didn't think it would make all that much difference changing them, I'm so glad I did now though!

Hi Clumpy i used peteg40 who advertises on Dubforce.net and it was £26.50 for both fronts and the castle nuts shipped !

Hi Clumpy i used peteg40 who advertises on Dubforce.net and it was £26.50 for both fronts and the castle nuts shipped !

Thank's for that matey as my car was originally a g60 i am unsure which one's to use as i know dumptyboy has a VR6 but your's is a g60 so your suggestion may be the way to go :thumbleft:

When you say it was a G60 does that mean you are now running a vr6? if so the vr6 is a much much heavier engine so dont use the G60 mounts definately use the vr6

mounts mine seemed to sit a little heavy on the rubbers (they are genuine german bearings) but i put it down to the coil overs good luck Dan

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:58 AM ----------

When you say it was a G60 does that mean you are now running a vr6? if so the vr6 is a much much heavier engine so dont use the G60 mounts definately use the vr6

mounts mine seemed to sit a little heavy on the rubbers (they are genuine german bearings) but i put it down to the coil overs good luck Dan

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:58 AM ----------

R32 mate I'll go for the VR6 one's then had a look on dubforce last night look's good :thumbleft:

Sat. 6th July. Woke up to a glorious day, so headed off to the GTi NI annual show at the beautiful Castlewellan Country Park with my son in his 18t Mk4 Golf and a mate in his absolutely concours Golf Rallye. Had a brilliant day at a packed show and even managed to collect the runner up award in the Corrado/ Scirocco class. I was soundly beaten by a 2013 Viper Green Scirocco with 20inch chrome turbine style alloys and air ride. This car was literally sitting on the sills and bumpers when parked up ............ how do you even begin to compare it to a 94 Corrado? My mates Rallye which has undergone a £9000, bare metal restoration over the last 9 months didn't even get a mention, I'm not even sure the judges knew what it was. Great dat all the same.

Sun. 7th July. Spent an hour this morning fitting chrome front door internal door openers. I bought these from VWMachine on e-bay for around £13 delivered. They are a nicely cast and chrome plated metal item and reassuringly heavy. Fitting was not entirely straightforward as they are not an exact replica of the original. They foul very slightly at the fat end in the plastic 'box' into which they fit on the inner door panel. A couple of minutes with a round file quickly eased matters and I'm well impressed with the result. Pics. below.

P7070004.jpg

P7070002.jpg

Took my family out in the VR for a 130 mile drive around some A roads of Staffs/Derbys-Loved every minute of it, easily the best day I've had in it since I bought it. Stopped for tea in a country pub. Now,I might be biased but mine was the nicest car in the carpark until a Lambo LPS 700-4 turned up.... What an awesome machine that is!

And then cleaned it

Edited by stuarttaylor37

Having some routine maintenance done today (brake pads, a good lubing all round, handbrake adjustment, plugs etc) and my garage guy has just called me about something called Terraclean. Apparently, they hook up what looks like an Air Con regasser to your car's fuel system and this stuff burns off every trace of carbon deposits out of your engine. You get all your BHP back that the engine has lost over the years, your running and idling is noticeable smoother and all for the same cost of replacing the Spark plugs.

GET IN THERE!!! Will have mon beastie back this evening. Will of course provide a full report/opinions. :)

Having some routine maintenance done today (brake pads, a good lubing all round, handbrake adjustment, plugs etc) and my garage guy has just called me about something called Terraclean. Apparently, they hook up what looks like an Air Con regasser to your car's fuel system and this stuff burns off every trace of carbon deposits out of your engine. You get all your BHP back that the engine has lost over the years, your running and idling is noticeable smoother and all for the same cost of replacing the Spark plugs.

GET IN THERE!!! Will have mon beastie back this evening. Will of course provide a full report/opinions. :)

Yeah, the guy next door had his BMW done and was well impressed with the result. I saw Edd China do it on one of the Wheeler Dealer cars and the before and after readings were like night and day.

Picked up my old, tatty Speedlines from the paint shop. Jeeez - Do they look good! Can't wait to get them on tomorrow morning. :dance:

---------- Post added at 6:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:04 PM ----------

Picked up the old Speedlines from the bodyshop and they look like new.:smug: Can't wait to fit them tomorrow morning.

Swore at it. The n/s front wheel came off. Fecked the wing, flat spot on the brake disc, and looks to have mullered one of the threads in the hub. They look to have been overtightened, and stripped two lugs almost clean, I'd comment on the others, but a chap walking on the pavement swears he saw one go flying by him into a school yard.

It was only picked up from it's MOT and having some work done (back calipers) on Tue, so I suspect this could be related...

In slightly more positive news, I replaced the air filter, tipped in some redx, lacquered and polished the rear lights, and I'm just about to wire in a temp battery for my backlit dials. I think there was more... But I can't remember!

Gave mine a detail ahead of national day next week fitted refurbed bonnet pin's (replated etc) what a difference to the old ones :cool: got a couple of other little job's to do tomorrow then it's ready for Castle Combe :)

made up new silicone intake for 24v engine to use stock airbox, bonding the pieces to get rid of the jubilee clamps,

oh yeah, and drove it!!!

Ahead of the weekend, was going to polish it but all paint felt gritty. No idea what it was so washed ready for some wax on Friday night. No one breath. And if those feckin' bats in the lock up start pooping I'll be making bat jam.

Got the C remapped at AMD,

bit too hot for good figures, 200bhp in 60 degree booth, estimated to be about 210-215 without the heat,

drives smoother and pulls lovely at over 1oomph

Been doing testing on and off to identify an interior squeak in the passenger side when going over uneven surfaces. Finally got rid of it. it was the electric mirror cable behind the front door panel rubbing against the door membrane.

Trial fitted my new bumper tonight!

need some more bits please steve got a splitter coming from purple tom happy days need some oil/charge cooler mounting gigery pokery

and then just need to save up for the painting!

016_zpsc757dd60.jpg

017_zpsa7ebb92b.jpg

018_zpsba1eea25.jpg

Drove up to the folks place in Bristol, longest drive since I've owned it, and I should never have considered doubting her making it! Didn't miss a beat! And just gave the car a quick wash ready for tomorrow!