Sign in to follow this  
CoxyLaad

To Modify or Not to modify - that is the question?

ok.

Not sure whether I can be regarded as a total purist considering my corrado is in the process of being extensively modified, but I want to gauge forum opinion on external styling mods.

So There are three schools as far as I see it.

1. Totally original, no mods at all, these probablies fetch the best money second hand, but in my opinion things like the standard ride height slightly spoil the overall effect of the car. But overall I can really appreciate a nice tidy standard example. Gets a thumbs up from me :)

2. OEM+ This to me is the best form of modification. and to me the aim of this is for the average passer by in the street looks and cannot tell whats different about the car, and just thinks its either a newer car than it actually is or doesnt realise there are any mods at all on it. This is what I am trying for. I dont want to stand out from the crowd with bling shyte, mind you my car is bright yellow like..... anyways this gets a big thumbs up from me :) :)

3. Dunno what you would call the other stuff. I can think a few names...'Major Styling Mods' we will call it. I dont like any drastic mods on the corrado form at all really - I have yet to see any major mods on a corrado that I can honestly say I didnt think looked poor. Sounds a bit harsh I know and I am not slagging peoples cars off here, but I just see it as a whole load of expense, graft and time, and the end result is something that looks slightly naff, and devalues the car. definately for me a tumbs down :(

These are all my opinions only of course, but what I would like to know is, what do you people think? am I alone in these thoughts? or is there a silent majority of people who feel the same and say nothing? or am I on my own and out of touch with reality? you decide! :D

Should the corrado be left as vw intended, tastefully styled to a modern production car theme, or hacked about and reshaped into something completely err....different ?

Shoot :D

OEM+ :!: its the only way the rado suits it so well i dont care if pvw say its gonna be gone as the 'in' look soon it works so well, and with yours will make it the ultimate sleeper!! but if you do choose the other and in my opinion more chavvy route then at least yours wont be all show and no go!! compltely unmodified is ok but i think you are personalising your car you should continue to the exterior to make it complete. :D

I don't think I've seen one really smart, but very heavily styled corrado.

Keep the mods hidden I say.

There 's something i really don't like, at least it doesn't appeal to me that is!

It's the Corsa style flushing of the tail gates, now what's all that sheet about, Chav IS the word and it looks c0ck, hope no one here has done that!

Chris

can I justify my body mods?

bumper modified for air flow

arches pulled to allow fitment of wider wheels but keeping them inside the arches.

washer jets removed because I kept getting polish stuck around them.

function over form

i hope i aint gone too far with mine,im having to stop myself from buying badgeless grills etc :lol:

but i know it would/could look the nads!

i wanna keep the vw badge though to let people know that its not a friggin porsche :evil: :lol:

its all about diffarent tastes at the end of the day,i can appreciate anything from standard to something with really flared arches and a wide stance.

not into bodykits though.

yes - have to agree, mods for a purpose are acceptable, as they tend to be subtle by nature.

Apart from different wheels and ever so slightly lower ride height, my car should look standard :D

Corsa style flushing of the tail gates

err read phats post on gen chat doesnt directly refer to that but this car has that also

well, ive modded mine to a point, tobe fair only thing changed on the outside is the bumpers and the addition of calibra side skirts and a rear window spoiler! without a doubt it is not chavvy!!! i think the changes ive made are very minor and improve the look greatly... in my eyes!!! but as previously stated it is a very individual thing. Will have to say the corrado is a thing of beauty so why change it greatly?

:D

It's the Corsa style flushing of the tail gates, now what's all that sheet about, Chav IS the word and it looks c0ck, hope no one here has done that!

Wonder if A20LEE will agree with that coment!

Well looking at mine I would say its race spec, but you lot will and do think Chav, haha!

But like I have said before many times what does it matter what other people think of your car, it is your car do it how you like it, I never understand wen people ask what wheels they should get, its your car do what you want and stop being a sheep follwing the flock!

OEM + for me too, hence BBS RXs with VW centre caps and a Modified Nardi Steering wheel with VW horn button :wink:

IMO a car should be appreciated as a whole when looking at it....not "nice rims", or "wicked spoiler".... what about the rest?

OEM+ achieves that.... you look at the car as a whole and no one thing immediately stands out, it just all works perfectly as a package.....and is why BBS wheels are best for the OEM+ approach...imo...

I say leave radical bodywork to Golfs, there's millions of them around to ruin.... the Corrado doesn't need any body mods as VW got it right.

Individualism is fine, but would you stone clad your house in a terraced row?

i hope i aint gone too far with mine,im having to stop myself from buying badgeless grills etc :lol:

but i know it would/could look the nads!

i wanna keep the vw badge though to let people know that its not a friggin porsche :evil: :lol:

So true, you might as well put a BMW badge on it! You're not kidding anyone! I love the way the Design 90 wheels look on the C though.

yup, another one agreeing with your first post entirely Coxy... 8)

OEM+ all the way for me... 8)

J-DUB's going to be a stealthed OEM+ ...No badges, subtle "tweeks" to the outside looks (including a tow-bar! :twisted: ) and a TDI engine 8)

H-YYU will retain her original badges, but will have a couple of minor body tweeks, the 1940cc G60 engine, Brembo brakes and modded gearbox.

Both will be on 16" borbet C wheels and will need someone in the know to be able to list all of the bits and bobs that have been done.

I think VW/Karmann got it soooo nearly right when they made the Corrado that it really doesn't need a lot to bring it smack bang upto date without the need for lots of bolt on bodykits and the like... 8)

Yup, OEM+ all the way. Embodied perfectly by MoonlightVR and OSV, not to say anyone elses is worse, just that these two are truly superb.

Question is where does OEM+ become heavily modded?

Jay

yeah,very thin line i reckon?

m3 lights too much? single wiper? :oops:

wouldnt say mines over the top but its not really oem+ i dont think!

Was just reading this thread and I kept thinking of the that guy off the Discovery channel who restored an E-type Jag. The car was 80% brand new, but it still maintained its original look etc but with the added bonus of new and improved parts. I would like to think that in 30-40 or so years time someone will maintain/restore a Corrado to its former glory. Back to the specific question in mind, in my opinion OEM+ is the way to go, just to keep the C on the roads. Just my 2p :)

Can mine be Heavy OEM+ :)

No big body mods, lots of non Corrado Engine and interior bits from OEM's including VW, Audi, Porsche, Mazda, Jaguar etc..

Jay

You could separate the mods into 'styling' and mechanical. Some mods do achieve both, lowering being the obvious example of a cross-over mod.

When I was doing the research for my G60 16v conversion I decided early on that I wanted to keep the car looking standard inside and out - the only way to tell would be to look under the bonnet.

As such I swapped the wheels for BBS RM's as these were an OE option. I have also dropped the car by 35mm but with the wear on some cars topmounts you would be hard pushed to spot the difference!

To me its all about bringing the performance of the car up to match its looks, I love the distinct styling of the Corrado and have no desire to change it.

So its got to be OEM plus for me too :D

Jay you could say yours is OEM+ and you have used OEM parts from the same group!

Yup, OEM+ (and Coxy's first post) - I'm in total agreement...

Kev's, OSV's, Jay's, etc - it's the way to keep it I reckon - looking like how VW would have made it if they hadn't had financial constraints and the like...

Though I do have a soft spot for some of the madder Euro 'rados if they're not too blinged! :oops:

Not sure you can really say the same about the 'rat's lines though! :lol: