Sign in to follow this  
dutch

Why is the UK so far behind???

What happens if you join a french car forum ?

its very very quiet since all the french had their cars torched by rioters :D

Seeing as we are quoting various websites about stuff, I did a bit of searching for more comparisons about leaf springs vs coil springs.. the comments are pretty much the same everywhere you go, echoing the following sort of sentiment:

Missed a good opportunity to look really clever then mate :-) You're just far too honest!

Most people around here know that I know jack s*it about technical stuff to do with cars other than the heresay and opinions i've picked up from here - so something like that would stand out as blatant plagiarism ;)

Jim.....many many moons ago i hated Amercian cars....Euro/Jap cars were the only way to go for me.....now things have changed...i still love the Euro cars however the Amercian muscle has grown on me.....

I know jack s*it about technical stuff to do with cars other than the heresay and opinions i've picked up from here

ah b*llocks! most of my opinions are based on your posts jim :( ,I'll have to find someone elses mind to clone now...

And you think that i'm somehow adverse to a mighty V8? :)

Seriously - i'd be more than happy with something like one of these Bullitt Mustangs which Ford released in 2002 (clicky) but as I say theres just no way in hell I could ever afford to run one, so thats the end of that! :)

ah b*llocks! most of my opinions are based on your posts jim Sad ,I'll have to find someone elses mind to clone now...

I'm very opinionated! Don't worry about that! I'm sure most of you have noticed! :)

Bloody ell, this is one of the threads that appends faster than you can type.....

..there's no 'd' in 'appens'

I will also add that composite materials - carbon fibre etc are really pants when it comes to damage resistance and failure detection as we are refering to composite based leaf springs not metal ones (My bad)

Given that if you drop a socket onto a composite structure you can produce a failure in the laminates below the surface layer, ie it looks alright but it isn't, and after looking at where the spring is located on the 'vette in the picture; it looks like a prime spot for wayward tools to go during servicing.

On top of that composite materials are really sh1tty in the event of a fire - especially carbon fibre, it will shred your lungs and give you cancer for your trouble and that's before you even sniff whats left of the resin.

Not that I design suspension for a living but 'in an ideal world' especially when using double wishbones you want suspension travel in one plane only, up and down, this is the holy grail of suspension design. If you fit a leaf spring to the top of the upper wishbone it is of a fixed length and as such the greater the suspension travel the more it affects the camber of the wheel.

Good thread :)

Jim - it sounds like you're confusing friction leaf suspension (ie. the big piles of plates you see on the backs of lorries etc) with single-leaf and damper suspension as on the 'vette.

Friction leaf uses the same bent bit of metal trick as the spring, then the friction against all those bits of metal dampens them too. It also weighs about a billion tons.

The 'vette uses a damper, as per a 'normal' car, but instead of having a curly-wurly spring, it has a leaf-shaped one (take a look at the link that dutch posted).

As in my previous statement I regularly get technical stuff wrong, and have proven my inability to talk in a technical discussion once again :)

/me wants a V8 Monaro

How about Australian Muscle Cars? :)

As in my previous statement I regularly get technical stuff wrong, and have proven my inability to talk in a technical discussion once again :)

lol, that's why I stay out of discussions like this. :wink:

just throwing in comments that amuse you, but probably no-one else, when you reach the limit of your capabilities works for me :)

lol, that's why I stay out of discussions like this. :wink:

Just do what I do. Search for similar threads then copy & paste stuff more knowlegable people have said. Failing that just guess, at least you won't be left out! ;)

new rule.....you can't copy and paste things from the net thinking they must be true....it's like believing everything you see on CNN

Sorry, I was actualy joking. Pretty much everything I know about cars (not a great deal) has come from this forum in the last 6 months.

Anyway, Jim I like that Bullit Mustang. Read an article in a 'lads mag' a while back about importing a Mustang, how much it would cost for shipping tax blah blah blah, worked out to be something like £24000 for a medium spec one.

to emphasise the expense point, JUN pistons are made by cosworth, shipped to japan and if we want to buy them, we have to ship them back here as you can't buy them from cosworth. But saying that, we are the best engineers, most indy car cars are built here, at least 4 F1 teams are based here off the top of my head along with a few WRC teams. But in my experiance, i'd rather have a mild powered car than handles really well than an all out power machine than can't be used due to wheel spin and i feel lotus prop up the british way.

p.s. would love a dodge charger general lee style though

as far as engineering goes we are streets ahead. i remember a guy telling me about british aerospace. a top yank company sent to them what was claimed to be the smallest drill bit in the world. the brits sent it back with a hole straight through the middle

8) I like that story.