Sign in to follow this  
RADO.001

100k plus vr6?

alot of the vr6 C you i for sale in the up to 5K price range now have over 100K on the clock (yes i no there over 10 years old now), and i no that with a good service history the vr6 should still run like a dream.

but how many of you guy/girls got your C with 100K+ on it, and how have they been?

lol - 100k is barely run in mate!

Sooooo much more life left the VR engines than that provided they've been looked after :)

My first had 130k and second over 200k (70k on the engine) and they were both excellent! As Jim says, as long as they've been looked after properly they should be fine. You can get the chains/tensioner done as a precaution if in any doubt.

How many miles is of less relevance compared to what type of miles - as the vast majority of engine wear happens in the first five minutes, I'd rather have a 100K motorway miler than an 80K short journey'd one...

Mines on over 130K and runs like a dream thanks to a head rebuild and chains/tensioners - but there's nothing to say that it actually needed it...

Mines 130k and it's fine.

So many people are concerned about low mile cars these days, anything over 100k is about to die as far as a lot of people are concerned. When I told my father in law what I paid for my 120k VR6 he couldn't believe it, he'd never buy a car with more than 50k on the clock...silly. :)

112k in 9½ years of virtually trouble-free ownership (I've owned it since it was 6 months old).

Still on original exhaust and clutch. How many cars can claim that?

ok.. mine aint a VR but she has passed 164,000 miles and runs as sweet as a nut...! miles shouldnt be an issue if its well looked after!

all down to the history and what kind of miles they've been IMO...

abso-bloomin-lutly. My G60 has around 175k on the clock, But I know that the first 140k of that was trundling up n down the motorways at 70-75mph. She's also had the oil changed at least every 6k. She still pulls superbly well, and is IMO an excellent engine. Its amazing how long well looked after VAG engines go for!

Putting aside all the dewy-eyed sentimentalism (people get like that when Corrados fail to cost them money for a week or two), you should realise that a 100k VR6 is probably well on it's way towards requiring at least the timing chains done, if not a top end or complete engine rebuild.

Some of them do last ~200k or more, but the vast majority require at least timing chains at between 90k and 140k, and many require a head rebuild there too, and a few even require a full rebore... None of these procedures are what you would call "cheap".

As stated above - it's all down to some unfathomable, and unproveable aspect of their early life treatment. You simply have to go on the car's current condition and the noises it makes.

Buying an old performance car is likely to be an expensive hobby. No way of avoiding that.

Putting aside all the dewy-eyed sentimentalism (people get like that when Corrados fail to cost them money for a week or two)...

hehe.gif

with dr_mat here lets not kid ourselves you have got too look at all sides. Me: Full vw service history 2 owners both in their 50's great condition massive history looks and drives beautifully no significant smoke on overun etc so pretty much everything you would look for (not my first rado either) originated from central london (short journeys 'n traffic) but got out onto the open roads a few years into its life. After i bought it, it ran beautifully for approx 13-15K. Then developed a incredible thirst for the black stuff and a desire to run on 4 cylinders. Also decided it would like me to be the proud owner of a rather large bill from Stealth racing circa £3.5k. Now maybe not the norm but it does happen (I met a few people with similar casulaties at the VR hospital so i get the impression VR6 rebuilds are not an uncommon occurence at Stealth nowadays)...........but i always new it might happen (from spending time on here) so it wasn't so much of a i F**king hate this B88tard car im shot of it when it did. but don't stress about it, love it, in the unfortunate event that it does happens fix it because its worth it, Corrados still have a real uniqueness and they are worth every penny.

By the way engine rebuild was at 117K.

Look for a higher mileage car that has already had some engine work done by a reputable firm, and if you can, buy off here. Bargains aren't necessarily cheap.

Our VR is on about 140k and badly needs some work doing. lots of smoke from the exhaust and plugs 1 & 6 get quite oily sometimes!!

i get the impression VR6 rebuilds are not an uncommon occurence at Stealth nowadays

You're not wrong. I've been to Stealth at least 4 or 5 times this year and on each occasion there has always been 2 or 3 VR6s on the ramps and

quite a few VR heads and blocks in various states of repair.

My chains and head were done at 93K. The head wasn't desperate, but the chains were. Now on 132K, 12 of which with a supercharger and the engine is feeling as good as it ever has done. Negligable oil consumption.

If the engine does need rebuilding then it's a good oppurtunity to try a different one! I'm quite favouring the VAG 2.0 16V Turbo as a light weight and torquey replacement at the moment....and they chip up to 275 hp no problem.

101k registered June 1995

no engine issues

uses no oil

original exhaust

coil pack, door handle and headlight switch failure inevitable on all - about £300-400 in all.

Picked mine up with 136k on the clock (chains and head done at 128k) and it feels as strong as an ox.

If i'm honest it seems to get better as the miles go up.

I'm now knocking on the door of 155k and as long as the fluids and filters are done, you should be fine.

It totally depends on whether it's been 'driven like it was stolen' mate imo.

I must be honest and confess to driving my cars very hard and generally giving them a hard life. And that obviously hasn't helped my last 2 vr engines to live a prolonged life.

But I do reckon the vr lump is a lot stronger than alot of engines out there, and it's definately the strongest engine I've ever had.

My last vr managed to survive for 40,000 miles over a year before it died, and i've NEVER had a car/engine last that long before :)

Although I just sold mine, was on 208,500 miles and pulling strong... Nowt wrong with it!