blue95

Corrado AWD 20VT

cheers :) a fair bit extra to buy then... exhaust isn't too much pain but the suspension is! will be interested to see this done and how you find it

cheers :) a fair bit extra to buy then... exhaust isn't too much pain but the suspension is! will be interested to see this done and how you find it

Yep suspensions a killer, cheapest I found was £420 for FKs. Though if you allready have FKs you can just buy the rears for MK1, these will fit, have seen a few sets go on the bay for arround £+- 100.

Planning to have it done for ED38 in September, :D - Loads of stuff has got in the way recently, hoping to really crack on come July.

Always have been for bout 4 years when i knew only 1 was done.

Im on the limits of grip now with the power levels but stick 4wd on and i just think it will slow me down and i will need more power, and im not likely to get much more.

Plus im not a spanner monkey at all, and as i said it sounds too easy, it always does wrote down :D

To quote Pirelli:

"Power is nothing without control" - LOL :lol:

Depends what you want 4x4 for really, I intend to have the syncro running with the stock 16v lump for some time before turbocharging. Before the conversion I regularly caned my valver arround the roundabouts here in MK (quite scary sometimes) so my primary goal is a big increase in traction in these condtions, this is why I have gone for lowered/uprated suspension, powerflex bushes and braces to compliment.

PS

before this the most work I had done on a car was changing oil, air filters and changing a tyre.

Well that is the only reason i would do it for the corners, heard the synchro stuff can be a bit primative and also break easily around the 300bhp mark so i would want the haldex stuff which would be a lot more work. Opinions all based on no research what so ever by the way so feel free to correct me.

Its all well and good takin the car apart but putting it back together is a different kettle of fish, good luck mate :) :)

Well that is the only reason i would do it for the corners, heard the synchro stuff can be a bit primative and also break easily around the 300bhp mark so i would want the haldex stuff which would be a lot more work. Opinions all based on no research what so ever by the way so feel free to correct me.

Its all well and good takin the car apart but putting it back together is a different kettle of fish, good luck mate :) :)

Sounds about right, syncro stuff is primitive compared to haldex......not much electrics to it if any, only advantage being it is a hell of a lot easier to install than haldex. However haldex is the next evoloutionary step especially for large power/torque motors.

just trying to get hold of couple of late wings and a bonnet now mate, any more progress?

I know a guy who can get hold of bits at reasonable price...he is in Derby though, so its a bit if a mission getting to him. If you want his number PM me.

As for progress sod all.....only thing I have done is picked up some new SPAX RSX coilovers, got em at an absoloute bargain price!! :shock:

that is a trek lol, if i hav no luck ill give ya a pm.

Haven't posted for a while, been on my hols (portugal) and been studying for an exam.

Some pics....

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Above pics are not the latest. Since they were taken I have done the hokey cokey with the floor (lost count the number of times it has been in and out) just to trim the rear edge perfect. So progress to date is:

-chassis legs seam welded

-Floor now in and tack welded, ready to be seam and plug welded (call me paranoid!)

-purchased alu front and rear braces (which have gone missing!)

-purchased goodridge hoses (C&R are the best)

-purchased P/flex poly bushes

-Built up the Spax RSX collies (old (old =

-Rebuilt mk4 calipers new seals, boots etc

-Rebuilt 280MM calipers new seals, boots etc

sure I have done more can't remeber though....also picking up some more powder coated stuff and brake lines later today - so hopefully will have the whole rear axle built up this weekend.

Don't know if I will get much done this weekend as Harry Potter fever has hit out household! :study:

Few updates.......

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Was suppose to have been working on the motor today, but went to the pub instead.

Doesn't look like much has been done.....but the welding was a biatch!!!!! so my mate did it, hes been into resto work for over 10+, so was a walk in the park for him!!!!

so far, weld has been ground back, zinc primered, seam sealer'd, and will be hamerited, undesealed and waxoyld hopefully by the weekend. Have sanded the floor, and am also hoping to have that painted up by the weekend.

Then can start re-fitting all the gubbins.

Also after a rear strut brace, so if anyone has one for sale PM me. Needs to be trimsport or Weichers as 1st choice.

Cheers

Progress is progress no matter how small, and I can understand the pub 'calling'!

So what's next? You still going 16v turbo with the 4wd?

Progress is progress no matter how small, and I can understand the pub 'calling'!

So what's next? You still going 16v turbo with the 4wd?

Bit annoyed I was aiming to have it done for Ed38. Not having it ready really demotivated me.

I do really want to turbo the 16v lump, but I will have to see what condition the engine internals are like. May have no choice but to go down the 20v turbo route, purely for cost reasons.

What mileage was the lump out of your motor? mine has done 110,000, runs sweet tho.

Bit annoyed I was aiming to have it done for Ed38. Not having it ready really demotivated me.

Set yourself the target for next ED38 then. Supercharged, Yan and I have all said ours would be ready for the next one!

I do really want to turbo the 16v lump, but I will have to see what condition the engine internals are like. May have no choice but to go down the 20v turbo route, purely for cost reasons.

What mileage was the lump out of your motor? mine has done 110,000, runs sweet tho.

Mines done 135k, and didn't run well at all. So I'm using a 2e bottom end and the 9a head. The 2e bottom end is in pretty good nick to be fair, can still see the honing marks on the cylinder bores!! So apart from new bearing shells and gaskets (possibly rings depending on condition) the bottom end is pretty much paid for.

16v turbo would be the more unique choice though :D especially with the 4wd!

Decided not to set myself target dates anymore :lol: , as I always end up missing them!

I put my name down for the clubstand this year and was gutted when I had to take it off. Had probs with parts suppliers as well, one of them is in dispute with Visa as we speak, really causes unnecessary stress.

Have been reading your thread, good detail in there, will come in usefull when I attempt to sort my engine out :D

True about the 16v lump, plus I have a real soft spot for the 16v. Real prob for me is going to be engine management, have no ideas about electrics and stuff :oops: might have to pay to get that side of it sorted. :lol:

Decided not to set myself target dates anymore :lol: , as I always end up missing them!

I put my name down for the clubstand this year and was gutted when I had to take it off. Had probs with parts suppliers as well, one of them is in dispute with Visa as we speak, really causes unnecessary stress.

Have been reading your thread, good detail in there, will come in usefull when I attempt to sort my engine out :D

True about the 16v lump, plus I have a real soft spot for the 16v. Real prob for me is going to be engine management, have no ideas about electrics and stuff :oops: might have to pay to get that side of it sorted. :lol:

I do know what you mean about target dates, but I need one to keep my focus :lol:

As far as wiring is concerned, if I manage to get mine done ok, I'm only over near Ely so not a million miles away, so I might be able to help with fitting a Megasquirt??

I do know what you mean about target dates, but I need one to keep my focus :lol:

As far as wiring is concerned, if I manage to get mine done ok, I'm only over near Ely so not a million miles away, so I might be able to help with fitting a Megasquirt??

Cheers, may take you up on that!

Think more ppl with the 16v lump would turbo charge if it wasn't for the crap engine management. Looked at MS, unless you build it yourself the costs seem to be the same as the off the shelf products. Have a looked at the turbo kits from the US (Bahn Brenner etc), with the exchange rate pricing seems ideal.

I see you do shift light kits etc, and have access to decent tools and materials......maybe you should consider doing a dummies MS plug and play harness for the 16v? for ref the QPE harness for the 20vt goes for £1k?

I'd still 100% recommend the Megasquirt relay board to simplify the wiring!......really makes everything nice and simple! just plug the wire from each sensor into the labelked port in the replay board!.....saves making making a cock-up and frying the MS board too! 8)

I'd still 100% recommend the Megasquirt relay board to simplify the wiring!......really makes everything nice and simple! just plug the wire from each sensor into the labelked port in the replay board!.....saves making making a cock-up and frying the MS board too! 8)

Ahh haa, might need to do some reading up.......

Hows yours coming along?

:lol: - Anyone who deos a conversion seems to disappear, tryed to get in touch with Raj Mirch (passat 16v turbo) and there was a guy on here Dave I think with a silver valver.....all disappeared!

Hows yours coming along?

the last £500 worth of bits are going to be ordered come payday!...only two weeks to wait and then I'm going to really get stuck in and get it finished off!

the last £500 worth of bits are going to be ordered come payday!...only two weeks to wait and then I'm going to really get stuck in and get it finished off!

Ouch.....hope you got a lot of bits for that! Look forward to seeing the updates.

How does programming the MS work? is there a standard map? you load in? Have seen threads discussing idling etc and cold start are there also issues with that?

How does programming the MS work? is there a standard map? you load in? Have seen threads discussing idling etc and cold start are there also issues with that?

There aren't any standard maps, but there are a few people on the MS forum who've done similar conversions, who post up there maps to allow people to use them as a starting point.

IIRC MS also allows you to auto-calibrate the maps using a wideband lambda. IT runs in closed loop mode and feeds back the AFR to the ECU. Essentially you drive up and down the road in different gears/loads/RPMs and set the desired AFR and it adjusts the map accordingly. You can get to around 95% of optimum setup doing this, but for the final 5% a rolling road is needed really.

I paid £160 for my MS (MS1 with EGT/barometric air pressure daughter board) + £130 for the Innovate wideband and then all you need is the wiring loom. Dec used the relay board, but I'm hoping to use the existing relays in the Corrado fuseboard.

The Plug and Play idea is a pretty good one actually. Will be doing it anyway, so will have all the info.....

Floor painted and undersealed.....can finally start bolting the 4x4 up! once I have re-fitted the interior :(

11.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

Finish on the floor is not great, then again it will be covered by carpet anyway.