CazzaVR

Cazza's Storm- Gone :( ...S3 Has Arrived! :)

:lol: Don't think so this time mate...

Picked up the S3 this morning. After checking the MOT history of the one I put the deposit on, I decided there were too many negatives. It had been on longlife servicing from day 1, and had a load of advisories with the last MOT, including badly corroded exhaust and rear springs. It had actually only passed 2 MOT's first time! Just had a bad feeling about it in the end...

Have ended up with a lower milage (90K) 2002 model with a BAM engine, Bose pack, black Recaro's etc. Completely unmodified, although it's pretty quick so I suspect it has a remap. It's Avus Silver, which is a mega rare colour. Love it! Feels nice and solid and definitely quicker than the VR, although not quite as much fun. Will put my BBS RC's on it, then it's going for a very thorough service, followed by some tuning by Bill at Badger 5 8)

Yeh, not too bad at all! Knew the first person to see would buy- maybe I could've got more for it, but didn't want it to hang around. No joy with yours, Jake?

Be interested to hear how you get on with the Audi, Andy. Would be quite nice to be able to break the 'spell' of the Corrado, but I can just never find stuff for similar money that delivers in the same way!

Jim, initial impressions are excellent! I love the interior (seats are fabulous!) and all the little extras such as puddle lights, heated door locks, airbags etc. Obviously doesn't look as good as a Rado, but looks good nevertheless. Feels much more solid than a Rado, and handles very well indeed. There is less steering feel than the Rado and it definitely feels a bit more mature, but not quite as fun. It's definitely quicker than the Rado- I'm not convinced it's standard. If it is, the performance is very impressive!

Looks good Andy

no, no luck yet decided to bite the bullet and try our eBay and see what happens

Thanks chaps :salute: Yep, it's a rare colour. Lots around in normal silver, but haven't seen another like this 8)

The weather has conspired against me today- will try to get the wheels on tomorrow, but it's looking rainy again :( Cleaned the throttle body though. Not too bad, considering it's almost certainly the first time it's been done, but definitely needed a clean.

Nice colour, is it the 225bhp or 210?

I had a 51 plate 210bhp one in denim blue with silver leather, it was only a year old at the time but we sold it for a TT and regretted it afterwards. The S3 is a really nice motor with great acceleration as I remember!

Hi Chris, it's a 225bhp BAM 8) They are really nice aren't they? I'm really enjoying it and totally impressed so far.

I'd have another, it was the acceleration as I remember it always used to push you back into the seat!

Apparently mine hasn't been remapped- if that's the case I'm mightily impressed with the acceleration, as you say, it really pushes you back into the seat 8)

Jim, initial impressions are excellent! I love the interior (seats are fabulous!) and all the little extras such as puddle lights, heated door locks, airbags etc. Obviously doesn't look as good as a Rado, but looks good nevertheless. Feels much more solid than a Rado, and handles very well indeed. There is less steering feel than the Rado and it definitely feels a bit more mature, but not quite as fun. It's definitely quicker than the Rado- I'm not convinced it's standard. If it is, the performance is very impressive!

It's certainly a step up from a Corrado in the luxury department! :)

The feel thing can just be as simple as tyres. I had Michelin PS3s on my R32 when I got it and I couldn't understand why people bashed the MK4 platform for it's lack of feedback, but since changing to Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s, all of the feel has gone!

Ive had one of these and they are solid cars. A map is a must though, makes a big difference. Then you need to get the geometry set up right as again it makes a big difference.

Same era as my Audi and I love the solid plane feel of the interior, it hides its age well.

Kev, quite right about the tyres! Swapped my Bbs rc's on yesterday. Way lighter than the Ronal Avus that were on there already. The Conti tyres on the RC's are a step up from the budget tyres. Much more feel now with sharper turn in. Very pleased!

Been steadily working through some jobs that needed doing:

Fitted 17" Anniversary BBS RC alloys that were on the Storm (see above)

Gave the interior a good hoover and the leather a clean and feed.

Next I removed the pop-out cup holder, which was no longer popping out. Gave it a good clean in warm soapy water, then realigned the runners etc and added a bit of grease- all working perfectly now.

Replaced the blown headlamp washer fuse- all working perfectly now.

Replaced the dipstick and guide tube. Really easy job. The guide tube was cracked at the top, but on closer inspection had completely crumbled away at the bottom. Good job I'm getting the sump cleaned and oil pickup changed, as I suspect there will be a few orange pieces of plastic in there!

Fitted a Badger 5 TIP (turbo intake pipe) and BMC twin cone filter. The TIP is absolutely massive compared to the restrictive original. Was easy enough to get into place on the turbo, but getting the recirc valve, N75 etc into the TIP was a royal PITA! :lol: Lots of washing up liquid necessary ;)

The coolant gauge was fluctuating all over the place, so changed the sensor. It was the original black sensor, which are prone to failure. Replaced it with the new upgraded green sensor and all seems fine now. Was sitting at 90c nicely on my little journey earlier.

Replaced pollen filter. How easy was this? Took about 2 mins 8)

Fitted brand new S3 carpet mats

Fitted brand new headlamp protectors

Engine light came on today and the idle felt a little rough- will investigate tomorrow.

Still to do:

Major service (oil/filter, fuel filter, cambelt, waterpump, drivebelt)

At the same time- thermostat, gearbox oil, rear diff oil, brake fluid, wheel alignment, Powerflex dogbone mount.

A very thorough exterior wash, polish and wax.

Later on:

Dyno run and possible remap @ Badger 5

R32 rear ARB

Haldex controller

Ipod connection/DAB stereo