Sign in to follow this  
andy_vw

Uprated headlight wiring looms

Thanks Andy, no worries on waiting, just wondering what was happening or if you had legged it to Spain with all our dough..:)

thanks for the update and look forward to it.

F.

Hi all:

Little update...

I've finally got round to fitting one to my C...

Results:

Results taken with the engine running.

Before - Across the bulb - Dipped beam - 10.71v - shocking!

(MUST be measured across the bulb, not + on the bulb & - on the battery/chassis, as there is a voltage drop down the - line as well...)

After - Across the bulb - Dipped beam - 13.20v. - Pretty much the charging voltage.

Thats 2.49v gain, which drives the bulbs at the normal wattage.

I will try & get hold hold of some data sheets for typical H4 bulbs - looking at volts vs wattage graphs.

Last photo is my rough setup...

Getting there...

Cheers all,

Andy.

OK 'm thinking about making one of these up but if I can explain how I think these work it will put me on the right track as no ones posted a wiring diagram as yet and Andy seems overloaded already. You use the existing loom with relays to give voltage through the other side of the relays directly from the battery to the bulbs 1 relay and fuse per bulb or one for side/dip and one for main.

To be clear the old loom only acts as a signal to the relay to open the circuit and allow the lights to be lit direct from the battery.

Am I right do I get a star. :?:

OK 'm thinking about making one of these up but if I can explain how I think these work it will put me on the right track as no ones posted a wiring diagram as yet and Andy seems overloaded already. You use the existing loom with relays to give voltage through the other side of the relays directly from the battery to the bulbs 1 relay and fuse per bulb or one for side/dip and one for main.

To be clear the old loom only acts as a signal to the relay to open the circuit and allow the lights to be lit direct from the battery.

Am I right do I get a star. :?:

Pretty much, yep, the power comes direct from the battery, the existing signal from the switch just triggers the relevant relay. There are a few diagrams littered around if you for a forum search, also some stuff at mateymatey.com, erm, here and the wiki. The other really useful site I used was this one which includes diagrams.

The C is a bit more complicated than some because of the design of the headlights and the connector plugs for them. You can buy the OE headlight connectors from VW still along with suitable terminals, I just used a decent silicone sealant to seal everything up. Some people connect to the original loom using spade-type connectors, but I just soldered and heatshrunk the triggers into the original loom.

If you look back through this thread, there are some links to component suppliers etc. I'd look for waterproof / splash proof fuseholders and some way of protecting the relays and solder / heat shrink all the connections rather than just crimping. Or maybe use the crimps with the adhesive-lined heatshrink outer if you prefer.

It's well worth the hassle, believe me :)

Pretty much, yep, the power comes direct from the battery, the existing signal from the switch just triggers the relevant relay. There are a few diagrams littered around if you for a forum search, also some stuff at mateymatey.com, erm, here and the wiki. The other really useful site I used was this one which includes diagrams.

The C is a bit more complicated than some because of the design of the headlights and the connector plugs for them. You can buy the OE headlight connectors from VW still along with suitable terminals, I just used a decent silicone sealant to seal everything up. Some people connect to the original loom using spade-type connectors, but I just soldered and heatshrunk the triggers into the original loom.

If you look back through this thread, there are some links to component suppliers etc. I'd look for waterproof / splash proof fuseholders and some way of protecting the relays and solder / heat shrink all the connections rather than just crimping. Or maybe use the crimps with the adhesive-lined heatshrink outer if you prefer.

It's well worth the hassle, believe me :)

Thanks for all that info just what I was after :)

No worries, mate. I found Vehicle Wiring Products were good for components btw - www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk.

The only thing I never quite figured out was how to keep the relays protected. Right now they're zip-tied into a Gore-Tex sock that I had lying around, but I'm thinking of adapting a small tupperware box using a grommet and some sealant so they're easier to get to. The loom on my Golf - I think it was BRM or somebody - left the relays exposed and they used to die periodically.

I sent a PM but no reply and was thinking of sending some snail mail to the address he gave.

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

:lol:

Spoke to Andy a few weeks ago, and he said he wouldn't be making any more :( . Each loom takes ages to put together, test etc and he doesn't have the time. Shame, because they're quality!

Could he not just maybe sell us the kits in peices, they're not gonna be rocket science to assemble/test.

The only part that we don't know where to source from is the OEM plugs for the lamps themselves, the rest can be sourced easily...

Could he not just maybe sell us the kits in peices, they're not gonna be rocket science to assemble/test.

The only part that we don't know where to source from is the OEM plugs for the lamps themselves, the rest can be sourced easily...

You can buy the OE plugs direct from VW, if you do a search, the part numbers are actually listed somewhere on the forum - erm, part number 357 941 165, see this post. You need two plugs plus four repair wires which are double ended with the correct connector on each one. You also need the plugs to seal the wire entry points, but I ended up using a silicone sealant instead, which seems to work fine. The only really problematic bits are creating a plug to take the signal from the original loom if you insist on not cutting into your factory loom and protecting the relays. My solution was to solder the new loom in and what I'm going to do is mount the relays inside a sealed food box using grommets and sealant to stop water getting in.

I suggested to Andy a while ago that rather than him trying to satisfy and insatiable thirst for looms, it might be a better idea to put together a detailed, illustrated 'how to' post, kind of 'uprated wiring looms for dummies' and I offered to co-operate with him on that. I'd still do that. I'd do it myself, but I'd rather get the technical construction of the loom spot on. I don't really want to produce a 'how to' on something that's safety critical like lights without knowing that it's 100 per-cent right, though maybe I'm being over-cautious :?

You can buy the OE plugs direct from VW, if you do a search, the part numbers are actually listed somewhere on the forum - erm, part number 357 941 165, see this post. You need two plugs plus four repair wires which are double ended with the correct connector on each one. You also need the plugs to seal the wire entry points, but I ended up using a silicone sealant instead, which seems to work fine. The only really problematic bits are creating a plug to take the signal from the original loom if you insist on not cutting into your factory loom and protecting the relays. My solution was to solder the new loom in and what I'm going to do is mount the relays inside a sealed food box using grommets and sealant to stop water getting in.

I suggested to Andy a while ago that rather than him trying to satisfy and insatiable thirst for looms, it might be a better idea to put together a detailed, illustrated 'how to' post, kind of 'uprated wiring looms for dummies' and I offered to co-operate with him on that. I'd still do that. I'd do it myself, but I'd rather get the technical construction of the loom spot on. I don't really want to produce a 'how to' on something that's safety critical like lights without knowing that it's 100 per-cent right, though maybe I'm being over-cautious :?

Agreed, if the plugs are available from VW then it's a simple enough job, presumably the repair wires you mentioned are to allow you to splice into the existing loom?

I would be more than happy to see one with a huge disclaimer heading the 'how to'!!! I'm confident on my own abilities to create an uprated loom, with or without any help, but would rather draw on other's experiences, suggestions, and more to the point, actual required parts so I don't waste money on the wrong bits. I say go for it! I'd even give you a fiver for your trouble!!!!! I know, I know, I'm just tooooooo kind!!!

Well Andys looms are supposed to be great. Its only the man himself thats the problem ( its a shame he didnt think it was worth while letting anyone here know he wasnt making any more :mad2: ).

All we really need is for him to write 1 more post - detailing everything he has discovered over the past 14 months of intensive research into loom building. I think that is the least he could do after all the broken promises.

If he posts it as a new thread, we can lock this waste of time - plus the other similarly titled one. Then at least the info would be in 1 place.

Can you give Andy a prod CazzaVR ?

Spoke to Andy a few weeks ago, and he said he wouldn't be making any more :( . Each loom takes ages to put together, test etc and he doesn't have the time. Shame, because they're quality!

When you spoke to Andy, did he mention anything about giving back the money he took in advance for the looms? I tried PM'ing him on March 1st, but he hasn't picked up the message yet and I don't have an alternative means of contact.

If anyone is thinking of making these again these panasonic water proof relays would be ideal they are smaller than the stardard relays and better quality.

What do people require in an uprated loom? single circuit (dipped or high only) or double circuit (dipped and high).

On the kit i made for mine I used 4 seperate water proof relays and 5 fuses (individual fuses and 1 main) and all connections are soldered and sealed with adhesive lined heat shrink.

If there is enough interest i might look into ordering some bits to make up a few kits.

I may also look into making a relay kit which fits inside the headlight housing, this may require a couple of small holes to be drilled in the back of the headlights with water tight grommets, this would avoid any messing around with the headlight connectors, reduce the risk of corrosion and keep the engine bay neater.

What do people require in an uprated loom? single circuit (dipped or high only) or double circuit (dipped and high).

If there is enough interest i might look into ordering some bits to make up a few kits.

I think you'll find LOTS of interest from everyone on this thread and it'll be for the double circuit.

My name at the top of the list, please!!!

Its going to be a couple of weeks at least as all of my spare time is taken up with rebuilding my engine at the moment.

If I do start making these I will make them in batches and only take orders when they are allready made.

I would like to know if people would be willing to drill the rear of the headlight housing or even the rear dust cap to fit them inside the headlights or whether they just want externally mounted kits.

I think you'll find LOTS of interest from everyone on this thread and it'll be for the double circuit.

My name at the top of the list, please!!!

Put me on the list too if you're willing to put some time into this!

My preference would be for an externally mounted kit.

When you spoke to Andy, did he mention anything about giving back the money he took in advance for the looms? I tried PM'ing him on March 1st, but he hasn't picked up the message yet and I don't have an alternative means of contact.

I have a feeling that money is going to be difficult to recoup.

We were told some cobblers about the looms being 95% ready months ago.

I'm definitely going to PM for my money back :wave: , as if.

The way the whole thing has been handled is nothing short of a disgrace.