jezzaG60

Jezza's G60..... 16vG60.....Turbo :-)

Fantastic looking engine- gonna be well worth the trouble when it's running properly 8) Love the Borbets too- wish I could find some in VR fitment :( .

I need one of these 16VG60s in my ED1 !!! lol

What 16v Bottom end are you using as a base? ABF? or 9A?

Looking good, really need to get mine finished but other jobs have jumped in the way, oh well least I have plenty of time over winter to get it right.

What size belt are you running?

Bottom end is an ABF, head was actually a kr one that i started porting about 2 years ago. I think the ABF was the 3rd or 4th bottom end that i've been basing the engine on... just kept changing my mind!

I'm running the equivalent of a 69mm pulley, the belt is a 1440x20mm from http://www.rswww.com

I take it you are using Forged pistons? What comp ratio are you running? i am looking to go down a very similar route in a year or 2 and i am gathering as much info as possible, so sorry for all the questions 8)

very nice motor!

can i ask how difficult it is to de-lock the handles, what work is needed and an approximate cost to have them painted?

im currently saving for a respray and really like the look of the handles painted given how slick they look on yours compared to standard.

thanks

^ditto that!

Can't believe i've missed this thread, it's shaping up to be one of my all-time favourite Corrados :luvlove:

Wow.... my thread back from the dead....

De-locked handles are an easy mod, usually done using passat rear handles. You need both the handle and the latch mech to make it all work. Incidentally i've got a set of painted ones that actually came from a Seat of some description. Currently they are white but it would be easy to have them painted another colour now and no special priming would be needed. P.M me if your interested in them.

I love the look of the de-locked and colour coded handles, i think its the best thing you can do to update the look of your corrado.

Well, update on the progress of the car.

Yes it is all up and running. I had it running just before E38 last year. Had a bit of a play on the rolling road. It was making about 240bhp @ 6000 rpm which was as high as i was taking it while i was checking out the mapping. Its currently running a map which we did for a 1.8t rallye and seems to be working quite nicely. The engine was holding torque nicely so i'm expecting power to stay climbing as and when i rev it harder. Judging by the way things were going i would have said 260-270 @7500 should be easily possible. Bear in mind that this is only a base map currently and i have made very few changes to timing and fuel.

I was having major issues with the toothed belt set up, think it only managed about 30miles on 2 belts. Soon after this i sold the original engine and charger so i had to send my spare charger to be re-built. I had a small delay (3months!) in getting it back so the project went a bit dead for a while.....

Anyways, end of jan and i've got a fresh charger back, i've come up with a new toothed belt routing, swapped the duel kr exhaust cams for a set of ABF cams and as of today i can go and tax the thing and start putting some miles on it. I've had a couple of sneaky drives of it and everything seems to be going well, i love the wey the 16v jus seems to pull harder and harder. Managed to ration myself to about 4.5k at the moment till i get some miles on it.

Major things on the to do list are to re-locate the battery to the boot as the tiny one i have to run to clear the boost pipes jus can't seem to start the thing. The poor car is in desperate need of a clean and some TLC. Hopefully i'll find the love again and get back on it!!

If i remember i'll take a pic of the engine bay with everything in, its all really tight in there now!

Allthough there does seem to be a large space left at the back of the engine, big enough for a say, a turbo? :) :lol:

I'll let you know once i've put it back on the rollers. Just got to get some miles on the charger and iron out a few snags.

I need a bigger radiator and i need to sort out a better solution for the block breather.

so have you driven it with the ABf cams in? are they the 1s to have?

abf for kr cam swap is pointless.

Your exchanging duration for lift for negligible net difference.

Ah, but jezza is using a 2ltr bottom end which has 159mm rods and a longer stroke, obviously, so duration would help with exhausting the gasses. I'm not so sure with a 1.8 kr bottom end as you may end up with so much overlap due to the extra duration you just end up pushing fresh fuel and air mixture straight out the exhaust port.

Ah, but jezza is using a 2ltr bottom end which has 159mm rods and a longer stroke, obviously, so duration would help with exhausting the gasses. I'm not so sure with a 1.8 kr bottom end as you may end up with so much overlap due to the extra duration you just end up pushing fresh fuel and air mixture straight out the exhaust port.

sorry wasn't clear.

the ABF unit apparently has more lift and less duration.

less duration means less valve overlap? meaning more boost?

From what I have read on the matter

Valve lift is another tool at the disposal of engine designers to aid air flow,i.e get air into and out of the cylinders so the engine can make power.

High valve lift aids aspiration generally at high rpm.

As you are making the affective port flow area larger.

At low rpm you will get smaller gas speeds and so the engine will ingest less air for the time that the valve is open and make less power.

These affects mirror that of cam duration.

Thats why I say increasing/decreasing duration for lift will kinda cancel each other out.

Does anyone know where a kr engine makes peak torque as oppose to where a abf engine makes peak torque?

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthre ... bf+kr+cams

This has everything you need to know about ABF and KR cams.

I was running dual kr exhuast cams with a vernier sprocket on the modded inlet and a vernier pulley. I did have a bit of a play about with them but was never really happy. Seems to make more power on the ABF ones.

I got 5 mins this afternoon and the car has a few miles on it now so i chucked it on the rollers to see how things were coming along.

After a few little tweeks this is where we are at:

dynoplot.jpg

Discovered a few problems:

FIrstly the 385cc injectors are hitting 91% duty cycle with my 3bar pressure reg. So i need to find myself a 4bar and re-scale my fuel map.

Poking about underneath i've had a closer look at my exhaust system, its a supersprint system thats been on there for years and it drops down to 2" towards the end. Going to borrow a bigger system and see if that frees it up at all.

I tried addin a couple of degrees of advance and saw some good gains so i want to get a tank of optimax in there and try upping the advance a fair bit more.

Boost seems to be pegged at 10psi pretty much through the entire rev range.

So..... basically i think there is a fair bit more to come. :D

Wow a power curve for a 16vG60 got to be a first for corrado.net, heard good things about Emerald from speaking to Steve PSD how does it idle? What happens below 2500rpm ? Is the graph at the flywheel or wheels? Are you running an PG ISV, knock sensor or EGT?

Yeah, the emerald is great. We have done several 20vt conversions with it and we also used to run a caddy on itb's with it as well. Does everything you need it to and more really.

Idle is fine, pretty smooth. I'm not running an isv, idle control is purely done by the ecu adjusting ignition timing. If it were a problem i could add an isv but i have no issues with it tbh. Not running a knock sensor and no egt on there. I have got a wideband kit on it and i've got that fed to the ecu. Feature of the newer emeralds is that you can set target afr's or set it to auto-tune to a desired level. It takes a while to do that so most of the mapping i do live, i leave the wideband to sort the light throttles and cruising sites.

Not sure why the plot scaled to start at 2.5k, i'll have to have a look at that when i get 5 mins. All figures are at the flywheel.

Yeah, the emerald is great. We have done several 20vt conversions with it and we also used to run a caddy on itb's with it as well. Does everything you need it to and more really.

Idle is fine, pretty smooth. I'm not running an isv, idle control is purely done by the ecu adjusting ignition timing. If it were a problem i could add an isv but i have no issues with it tbh. Not running a knock sensor and no egt on there. I have got a wideband kit on it and i've got that fed to the ecu. Feature of the newer emeralds is that you can set target afr's or set it to auto-tune to a desired level. It takes a while to do that so most of the mapping i do live, i leave the wideband to sort the light throttles and cruising sites.

Ha! You make it sound too easy! I want to start making a loom right away. :)

This is the first 2ltr 16vG60 that's got me excited. How would you describe the driving experience?

I've not really driven it too hard yet, been nursing the charger a little bit and i still have some other little bits and pieces that need lookin at.

That said, acceleration seems pretty frantic, the level of torque seems to be just right for it to be just trying to break traction in 3rd, makes it a bit of a handful with the Peloquin!!

Looking forward to getting all the niggles sorted and actually driving it round a bit!

Must be smooth with the g60 boost, 2.0ltrs and them 159mm rods. Does the 4-1 branch clear everything ok? Where did you get it? Any bonnet clearance issues with the taller block? Are you running a throttle position sensor?

Sorry about all the questions. I've dreamt up a similar setup for a 2ltr 16vG60 so find this engine really interesting even though doing a similar project is not on the cards at the moment. Not wanting to sound like some sort of thread groupy there, if you know what I mean. :) I'm working on a 2ltr 8v at the mo and it's driving me nuts, going more for maximum low to mid range torque.