jezzaG60

Jezza's G60..... 16vG60.....Turbo :-)

Don't worry about all the questions..... nice that someone takes an interest for a change!!

I'm using the throttle body from a G60 Auto, i had it sent over from the state. These have both the throttle switches and a throttle pot. The switches may come in handy one day if i ever get round to fitting a nos kit. lol

The engine is very smooth, really impressed with how well its running on the current map considering i have made very few adjustments to it.

The 4-1 is very close to the tunnel.... practically touching! Its really meant for a short block motor but it came up on ebay at the right price so i thought i'd give it a go. Its made by Tezet, never seen another one the same but i have heard of the company making 4 branches for a few different cars.

I'm almost excited about the project again so hopefully i'll make some time to do a bit more work on the rollers. I'll have to see if i can dig out a 4 bar fuel pressure reg and then see what i can do to get a bit more power out of it!

Nice figures man. You must be pretty happy with that, despite needing to do some more tweaking?

Don't worry about all the questions..... nice that someone takes an interest for a change!!

Oh good! :) I think a lot of people are seething with jealously reading this. :lol:

I'm using the throttle body from a G60 Auto, i had it sent over from the state. These have both the throttle switches and a throttle pot. The switches may come in handy one day if i ever get round to fitting a nos kit. lol

Thought you might be using an auto body on there. Don't you break it nos now.

The engine is very smooth, really impressed with how well its running on the current map considering i have made very few adjustments to it.The 4-1 is very close to the tunnel.... practically touching! Its really meant for a short block motor but it came up on ebay at the right price so i thought i'd give it a go. Its made by Tezet, never seen another one the same but i have heard of the company making 4 branches for a few different cars.

I'm sure you'll sort it out.

I'm almost excited about the project again so hopefully i'll make some time to do a bit more work on the rollers. I'll have to see if i can dig out a 4 bar fuel pressure reg and then see what i can do to get a bit more power out of it!

Not calling you a liar or anything but if I could request and at the wheel graph and it running up from around 1000rpm that would be nice. Bit cheeky I know but if you don't ask..........

I have a problem with RR guestimates and I know this setup has the potential with emerald the tall block and the 4-1 ex. for good bhp numbers. Keep up the good work I'm well impressed with it and your honesty. :thumbleft:

Oh good! :) I think a lot of people are seething with jealously reading this. :lol:

yeah,yeah;including you.

fecker.

I think the spec is written elsewhere in the thread but here it is again:

ABF 2 litre bottom end,

Scat Steel Rods,

KR Head (heavily ported by myself)

ABF cams,

Cut down S2 manifold (modified and ported by myself)

ABF sump with baffles added and a windage tray,

SLS toothed belt kit (69.1mm) modified to align all the pulleys,

SWG twin inlet kit,

Audi 1.8t fuel rail and 3bar pressure reg,

Rover 385cc injectors (now maxing out so will up fuel pressure)

Tezet 4-1 exhaust mainifold,

De-cat and supersprint system (2" in places 2.1/4" in others!)

PSD stand alone charger oil supply,

Emerald M3d Standalone management mapped by me,

G60 Auto throttle body with tps.

Large front mount intercooler with my own custom end tanks to make it twin pass,

All the bits have been gathered over the last 3 years so its nice to finally have it together and see it make some good numbers. Also happy in the knowledge i have a few more tweeks to make so there may well be a bit more to come out of it!

Nice one fella, looking forward to a blast in this when you've put a few more miles on it 8) if I don't hurry up knowing you you'll take it apart again before I get chance! :lol:

Yeah, your probably right.... already planning on pulling it to bits again to fix a few niggles and get some more bits powder coated!

Nice looking dynos figures there especially as there is probably stilla bit more to come too.

The torque curve is very healthy, straight in at 210 then farily constant until around 6500 rpm, I assume you are running a 68mm pulley with the toothed belt kit.

How easy do you find the emerald to work with?

Well, had a little more free time this afternoon.... so decided to have a bit more of a play with the mapping. I've upped the fuel pressure to nearly 4bar and put in a lot more ignition timing.

The results.... 7 or 8 dyno pulls all over 280bhp :D

The best run iirc was 286bhp and 258lbsft.

Unfortunately the stormy weather put an end to my fun and has given us a power cut at the workshop. I didn't get a chance to try a few more tweeks i've got planned. Not sure that there is a great deal more to come but if i get some free time again i'll see what i can do.

I've done some runs from a lower rpm so i'll get them printed out and put a couple more up.

I'm pretty happy with this power level but its getting frustratingly close to 300!!!!

Well, had a little more free time this afternoon.... so decided to have a bit more of a play with the mapping. I've upped the fuel pressure to nearly 4bar and put in a lot more ignition timing.

The results.... 7 or 8 dyno pulls all over 280bhp :D

The best run iirc was 286bhp and 258lbsft.

Unfortunately the stormy weather put an end to my fun and has given us a power cut at the workshop. I didn't get a chance to try a few more tweeks i've got planned. Not sure that there is a great deal more to come but if i get some free time again i'll see what i can do.

I've done some runs from a lower rpm so i'll get them printed out and put a couple more up.

I'm pretty happy with this power level but its getting frustratingly close to 300!!!!

That's a hell of an improvement, do you put that down to improved/adequate fueling allowing you to run more advance with the emerald ECU? What rpm were you at and what were your wheel/transmission losses. Looking forward to the graphs. :) 300 is only a number remember, so don't be breaking it, just reduce your tyre pressures a little that should do it. :lol: Anyway leave something for the other guys on here to aim for!

Well i've been playing with fueling, cam timing and ignition.

Biggest gains have come fromt the ignition timing, added 5-6 degrees pretty much throughout the rev range. Playing with the cam timing hasn't really netted the gains i was hoping for, i think i've either hit a restriction in the inlet/exhaust flow or i've reached the limit of the power i can make from the G60's air flow on a 69mm pulley.

Transmission losses were coming out fairly high, around 50bhp i think. Several reasons for this i think as i'm running 17's, we are having to spray belt grip on the tyres to prevent wheels spin and the transmission has only done a few hundred miles so its still very tight.

I'll try and remember to get some at the wheels figures. Not so worried about the actual number at the mo, just enjoying seeing the gains and the consistency of it.

Running 20vt plugs.

Really happy with the gains today, best bit is all the extra torque its making!!!

I've not taken it on the road since it was making 248.... and it seemed pretty rapid then!!

Biggest gains have come fromt the ignition timing, added 5-6 degrees pretty much throughout the rev range. Playing with the cam timing hasn't really netted the gains i was hoping for, i think i've either hit a restriction in the inlet/exhaust flow or i've reached the limit of the power i can make from the G60's air flow on a 69mm pulley.

Transmission losses were coming out fairly high, around 50bhp i think. Several reasons for this i think as i'm running 17's, we are having to spray belt grip on the tyres to prevent wheels spin and the transmission has only done a few hundred miles so its still very tight.

I'll try and remember to get some at the wheels figures. Not so worried about the actual number at the mo, just enjoying seeing the gains and the consistency of it.

Sounds good matey, but is it very fair spraying grip on the rollers? I mean, hardly realistic is it?

Unless the rollers are quite worn which I could understand, but surely the point of an RR is to get a realistic figure of what power / torque your car can put down?

Sounds good matey, but is it very fair spraying grip on the rollers? I mean, hardly realistic is it?

Unless the rollers are quite worn which I could understand, but surely the point of an RR is to get a realistic figure of what power / torque your car can put down?

Its still measuring the power of the engine.

And the fact that he is is making tangible gains from his setup is the most important thing.

Ok cheating a bit for extra traction but the engine is still turning the rollers and making power.imo anyway :)

I guess you haven't looked at many rolling roads..... More often than not the rollers are pretty much smooth steel rollers. All the rolling road is is a tool to measure the torque produced by the car wheel. If you get much slip between the tyre and the roller then you will have a wildly inaccurate reading as power is just a function or torque and rpm (power = (torque x rpm)/5250) The only problem this can add is that you are going to increase the losses as the tyres effectively stick to the rollers. This is why the rolling road software carries out a run down so it can add back the losses and give an approximate flywheel figure. I could have not sprayed the tyres and just added some wieght up front but this will have a similar effect as you will increase tyre deformation and hence increase the losses.

I guess you haven't looked at many rolling roads..... More often than not the rollers are pretty much smooth steel rollers. All the rolling road is is a tool to measure the torque produced by the car wheel. If you get much slip between the tyre and the roller then you will have a wildly inaccurate reading as power is just a function or torque and rpm (power = (torque x rpm)/5250) The only problem this can add is that you are going to increase the losses as the tyres effectively stick to the rollers. This is why the rolling road software carries out a run down so it can add back the losses and give an approximate flywheel figure. I could have not sprayed the tyres and just added some wieght up front but this will have a similar effect as you will increase tyre deformation and hence increase the losses.

Your absolutely right JezzaG60. I think maybe the only thing left for you to do is increase air density with maybe a 3d water/methanol system to increase power and reduce combustion heat. I can't really think of a more significant way of gaining more power without losing drivability. Any chance of that engine bay shot. :)

ps. did you lighten the flywheel?

Yeah, i did consider water/meth injection but i'm not sure the gains would be significant enough for me to bother with. I'm running such a large intercooler i don't think i've seen the charge temps go above 20 degrees!

Like i said, i've got a few more ideas to play with but i think i'm pretty much there. Power is peaking just below 7k so there is no need to rev the engine as hard as i thought i might need to. My other option may be to try a smaller pulley but i don't think it would be so much fun with the revs more restricted.

I'll take an engine bay shot tomorrow.... nothing much to look at i'm afraid, i think i would describe it as "functional" at the moment!

No lightend flywheel at the moment. I have thought about it but at the moment its quite smooth and the paddle clutch is ok, bit worried that a lightend flywheel would ruin that!

Yeah you're right, I haven't been to a single RR! I just wondered whether spraying tyres was a cheat or not, so I'm glad you proved that it's not.

After all, if we didn't challenge each other now or then, we'd all believe the figures quites in M** P**** magazine et all! :lol:

Cheers for the confirmation, v interesting read :thumb right:

Yeah, i did consider water/meth injection but i'm not sure the gains would be significant enough for me to bother with. I'm running such a large intercooler i don't think i've seen the charge temps go above 20 degrees!

Like i said, i've got a few more ideas to play with but i think i'm pretty much there. Power is peaking just below 7k so there is no need to rev the engine as hard as i thought i might need to. My other option may be to try a smaller pulley but i don't think it would be so much fun with the revs more restricted.

I'll take an engine bay shot tomorrow.... nothing much to look at i'm afraid, i think i would describe it as "functional" at the moment!

No lightend flywheel at the moment. I have thought about it but at the moment its quite smooth and the paddle clutch is ok, bit worried that a lightend flywheel would ruin that!

I think your right about the flywheel. You've put together a cracking 16vG60 I'm jealous I have to admit. I think the power you have is really good but what's probably the best thing about this engine is it can do the numbers and be a nice road car with a good spread of torque. It's not like so many engines you read about, I imagine were they get the numbers but they're a pig to drive smoothly, or daily should I say. Well done................... ye jammy git. :lol:

Yeah I agree, it's not just about out and out power more all round driveability. It'll be interesting to see what it's like on the motorway etc with the diesel 5th gear

Nice one anyway, it's good you're happy with it (for the moment) after all the time and deliberation that's gone into it. And to think it was only 3-4 weeks ago you had priced up the parts to break it!

And to think it was only 3-4 weeks ago you had priced up the parts to break it!

Err first dibs on the engine if you change your mind :)

Like I got that sort of money floating around at the mo!