Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

If you got rid of your C what modern car would you have?

Always seem to ponder this every time I'm not sat in the Corrado, as logic says that the money I spend on keeping it on the road would pay for a loan for a more reliable modern motor. Although suspect this may be the Mrs brainwashing me with this idea every time it has to go to the garage.

But what? I don't mean 'money no object cars' like a Veyron or Merc, but an everyday car? Something for the daily slog but will also put a smile on my face when I want to be a bit lairy. :?

Maybe even a diesel! :shock:

Hard to say really. I think I would happily ditch the Corrado if I could afford a new Golf GTI or R32 even..

Arggg, just written a reply, and then saved it instead of submiting, now I can't find it anywhere :(

I've got a Revo'd Mk4 Golf GTI, its faster, more comfortable, has similar fuel consumption, similar tax and insurance costs, but it is nowhere near as exclusive as the C, it was great driving something that rare.

I think an S3 or Leon Cupra R may be the sensible choice, but it won't have that special feeling the C has.

depends on the budget! obviously a porsche of ferrari would be nice but i have a massive soft spot for the audi rs4! in blue! on a more modest bdget second hands M3's are about 20k, then suppose it would be r32, then supercharged vr? something completly different it would have to be an evo5/6. as of yet i can barely afford to run the G60 let alone an Rs4, lol :)

I don't drive to work, so my car's just for playing.

It'd have to be an S2, Toyota engine'd Exige for me. In fact, I get more and more tempted every time I see one. The insurance isn't much different to a VR Corrado either...

Probably a GTi Edition 30 - perfect combo of power, size, equipment, looks, practicality, build quality, handling and image

i'd rather have the real thing, no point in having bits of fords and jags stuck together, even if you do fit a massive chevy V8 in it!

Yeah, me too, but I don't have a spare 50 grand.

Well if you're talking similar money to my vr, then probably something like a bora 4motion but if i was to borrow a bit extra & have monthly payments instead of monthly repair bills then probably something like an S4.....but to be honest unless your talking mega bucks i can't really think of anything i'd rather drive everyday

Andy

See, that's the thing - there's nothing under £20k that I'd rather have than the Corrado...

I could sell mine to get an Exige, but it'd be a £17k loan I'd then need to pay off, on top of the similar running costs for a Corrado...

Probably a well kept MGB with one of those Rover K series engines you find in an Elise stuffed into it. (Not modern is it... so doesn't count.)

Not many Jap car fans here then I guess... in all honesty, I'm not either but there is one Jap car I'd consider and it's not your everyday Subaru or EVO. If a 2 seater will do, then a Honda S2000 is the way to go. Probably more smiles per mile then any other car for the price.

IMO - To replace the C, you need a Porsche

There arent many cars that can "replace" a C as its so unique. I reckon a 3.2 TT would be a decent replacement, if you can afford it. However I cant, so Ive got a Golf motion and a Leon Cupra. Both nice cars, and fairly quick, but completely different from the C. If the C felt a little bit more modern then I would have happily kept it, but I just wanted a change - still my fave car though!!!!! (and now I have to add some pics, cos I can :lol: )

Not many Jap car fans here then I guess... in all honesty, I'm not either but there is one Jap car I'd consider and it's not your everyday Subaru or EVO. If a 2 seater will do, then a Honda S2000 is the way to go. Probably more smiles per mile then any other car for the price.

IMO - To replace the C, you need a Porsche

TBH, my dad got a 911 after the C., and doesn't look back, but IMO, similarly to yours I'd say the C. has definitely got the legs on a 911 if set free. Re. Jap cars I retract my MGB comment and go for the RX7. It's just proportioned right visually - driving it tho... maybe another matter. But that's what I'd have if Japanese!

Yeah I wonder about this all the time and I'm always on the lookout for cars I'd like to have ideally. The only things that look at all interesting is a Fiat Coupe 20vt (although I'm well aware about the horrendous maintenance costs), or an R32. I quite liked the look of the old Civic Type R's but I've never driven one.

Basically I can't afford a modern car that's as fast as I'd like, so it's back to the well-made classics!

Stan 24v, How did you manage to end up with a 4 Motion and Leon Cupra?

Obviously the Leon and Golf 4 (I've had a Leon and got a Mk4) are quite similar, but how do the engines compare? If you had to have only one, what would you choose out of the LC and 4Mo?