Sign in to follow this  
OSV

What attracted you to the Corrado?

always wanted one.. love the shape, the looks you get when you drive it..

got sick of Fords so bought one.. never looked back..

the looks you get when you drive it..

true it gets more looks than any other car, but when youre in a convoy of corrados wow the world stops still to get a good look!

I'd never heard of one or knew what they were until 4 years ago when I met the other half.

Over the years, I had started to like the shape of corrados more and more, so I bought my valver. I absolutely loved that car from the very moment I bought it. The looks, the handling, the grin on my face every time I drove it. There was one problem though........ it wasn't fast enough!

So, we bought the VR!! :D

I wanted a VW beetle for my first car, didnt happen, then i got a 106 quiksilver for my 2nd car. I bought that one because i like to drive things slightly different, and i thought that this was...i was wrong. It was also the most unreliable car EVER! I wanted something faster, and as soon as i heard that Corrado's came with a supercharger i thought "hmmm, insurance?" I checked and it wasnt that bad, so i went out to only test drive one. I arrived and it was just sat in the road, low and FAT! It was also in fantastic condition and the shape and sound was inspiring.I spoke to my mate who is currently refurbing a Golf mk1 gti, and he loved them, so i was given extra confidence i was making a good choice. After my test drive i found myself leaving a deposit, and with a huge smile on my face. Never looked back. The only problem is i now want a MK1 gti to work on, or a rabbit. I want a VW project, so i can learn everything! lol, but i just dont have enough money!

I've got a soft spot for all Veedubs inlcuding air cooled.

I've had a Mk1 Polo, Mk2 Polo, Mk1 Golf GTI, Mk2 Golf GTI and own my Corrado and a Seat Leon Cupra at the moment.

I wanted a Corrado to replace my Mk1 Golf which was too hard for every day use. The combination of VW running gear, looks and a little more refinement are what made my mind up.

I bought my Mk2 GTI as an in between car and ended up keeping it for 5 years before getting my Corrado.

I nearly got a mk 2 golf GTi as my first car and was gutted not to have bought it. Just decided one day that I was going to track a C down and get one, was after a VR as a preference. Ended up hearing about a car for sale from a friend; his boss was selling it. Went to look at it, he opened the garage door and my jaw hit the floor - G reg and in a better condition than my current R plate 306 (Crap car). Went out for a spin, loved the ride, and refinement and had the cheek to get him to knock £1250 off his asking price too!

My 'rado was my first VW and I now have a 'rocco as my daily driver. Both cars are capable of putting a big grin on my face.

The 'rado still continues to remind just how far ahead of its time it was - especially for the price they originally retailed for. It is all the little things that make the difference on a car that was designed in the same era as a metro!

Still love the aggresive stance from the front and the smooth curve along wing into the door and rear quater culminating in the spoiler. You can tell that very little was lost from the original concept sketches along that line.

I'd always been 'aware' of the corrado, but never seriously looked at them until i had an accident in the astra i used to own and wrote it off. I was originally on the lookout for a nice mk3 golf, and while trawling the dull plain examples on autotrader i slipped into fantasy mode and did a search on corrados. I realised I could probably afford a fairly cheap 16v, insurance wasnt much different from the golfs i'd looked at and the corrado looked a hell of alot more fun! I thought, like alot of other people, that VW's didnt go wrong, so it'd be a safe investment! :lol: ah well, by the time the first bits went wrong I'd got the bug, found the forum, and was all set to start accepting my car not running quite right was just a fact of life! I was quite happy with the 16v for a while, spending more than i paid for it on modding it :oops: but then I get the opportunity to buy a VR and i HAD to have it. I see the 16v as my introduction to the VW world and the VR as an opportunity to use what i've learned to make the car how i want it.

After I finished my degree I had a few months back at home then I had decided I was moving to Canada for 6months or so. I thought there's no point in hanging onto my Corsa because I've had it a while, it's not very nice or interesting and it's only going to cost money sitting in a garage for 6 months.

It was just before I went away that Top Gear did their 'future classics' bit on the Corrado and I remembered seeing one that I'd always loved the look of as a kid (but had no idea what it was), so I thought I'd investigate further.

So while I was in Canada I started researching a bit more about Corrados and signed up to the forum to find out a bit more about them. I was already having a great time talking to all you guys on here and I then went to the big CCC meet in Toronto just before I came back to blighty. Everyone was great, the cars all looked like sex on wheels, I got taken out for a drive in a mega-low mileage VR and got to drive zarman's amazing Corrado and I was completely and utterly sold.

I scared myself an awful lot after I killed my last VR and swore I'd never have another Corrado. So I bought a Mk3 GTI and discovered how horrible they are to drive by comparison and came back to another 'rado.

It has to be said, I do love the Corrado - the looks, the handling and that sweet, sweet VR noise, but if it wasn't for you guys I'd be driving a Golf or somesuch...

My mate who isn't into cars said the other day my car is stunning after I cleaned it. And he didn't say it was stunning for a 10 year old car, just stunning period....high praise indeed.

And also on the way back from work tonight, an Astra GSI in front of me slowed down and pulled into the inside lane. As I went passed them I saw it was full of chavs and feared they were goading for a race, but instead the driver and passenger stuck their thumbs up and smiled.

That's basically what does it for me with Corrados. Understated good looks and the performance and handling to back them up, well done VW :thumb right:

i saw the tope gear programme when i was abt 15 when they was showing nice performance cars like the corrado and cosworth being taken to the cemetary has it was their last year in production.... never seen on on the road since and from than on randomly a few years later starting seeing them... and thought i had to have one,,,couldnt get insured at 17/18 waited and waited and all of a sudded in could afford one so starting looking for a VR6...drove a few hated it so decided on a black G60....couldnt find one for 4 months so bought a pug and crashed it exactly a year later bought a yellow 16v with black leathers..drove it once has i didnt like the 16v engine either and 5 months later found the G60 and sold the 16v couple of months later....also bought a classic green storm last year joint venture with my cousin for some money making,,worked out well

my cousin is now trying to convince me to follow my dreams sell this G60 and move on,,,,but its sad but this is my dream car apart from a lambo which im not tempted on until the petrol prices go down a bit :wink:

Its that kind of thing that makes Corrado ownership so worthwhile.

I remeber a car full of lads sitting behind me at the lights one day in a bit of a chavmobile.. but they were all leaning forward and chatting, and pointing at the supercharged badge and the TSR logo and stuff..

And the amount of people who used to just come up to me and tell me what a nice car it was and how they'd always wanted one.. it used to really help remind you why you bought it after you'd suffered a stinging bill or it had played you up in some other way :)

I have never been in a G60 anything though and would love a go in one to complete myself!

I would have let you drive mine mate... until the 'reversing' incident at E38! :p

If i ever make it to Corsham you can take it for a spin :wink:

ive wanted one since my dad received promotional material when it was first released! i can still see the nugget yellow c on the front cover with an insert for the futura concept car! (remember that?parked itself!!) swore then i,d have one someday!! had a mk1 golf gti then a mk2 then this fella came up and thats about it!

never once regretted the buy! everything i expected!

gets attention wherever it goes!

funnyiest thing is,we chased to get the car in a friends old cavalier aptly name rusty,it made it there and back,just! then subsiquently died a major death the day after! rustys last stand goes down in history! :lol:

A mate at uni had one back in 96. Green VR, I was reading Max Power a the time (only for the ICE Honnest), so i was into Rados due to their project car. I was in constant awe of it in the car park and took every opportunity to pursuade him that we should go out for a cruise round Brum. It was only when 4 of us took a day trip to Wales that I realised just how special they were and I knew I had to have one one day. Also a memorable trip home to Wokingham Down the M40 at Mach 2 sealed the deal.

Dunno If ive got the bottle to do the trip to Brum in 50 mins now tho, I enjoy using my licence too much.

just the looks for me.

im a bit dissapointed with the power/reliability tbh...

edit:not bad power for the money i suppose.

my first car was a dub so was kinda hooked on em straight away,mate in work had a vr6 too and loved the shape and look, more importantly it was different and rare so stood out and it had that meaty presence about it.love the looks it gets plus having to explain to someone what a Corrado is when the ask what car you drive.had a hunt about and went for a valver mainly due to insurance, fast enough for me and at the end of the day is a Corrado. :D

I have no idea how I ended up with a Corrado.

I think I originally wanted a Golf, but got side-tracked when browsing Auto Trader.

And now I run this place - crazy eh ;)

I used to do Nav rallies in my mum's B reg Polo classic. My dad's also had several Passats. Then my first car was a C reg Jetta TX. Boy, was I proud! Then 'upgraded' to a brand new Ibiza Cupra (Polo / Golf!). Sold that when I moved to the States and had a amongst others, a Ford Ranger pickup truck and a dog of a Chrysler (although it was convertible) for two years. So when I got back, I was looking for something a bit nice, managed to avoid the Scoobies and the 406 Coupe, and got very excited by the VR6. Nuff said. Generally, VWs definitely have something cult about them, I'm not sure why, but with the C it's pretty clear.

Yeah, it has to be said I wanted something different and cool, but after hearing that VR purr I was sold even more :D

Decided i had to get rid of my bike and get a car, fell in love the corrado, looks great, fantastic handling.....oh, and the rear spoiler. As a reszult, i should own my first rado as of this evening!!