KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Congratulations, ive just had a little Mia as well, on Friday..

Car tinkering continues but its definitely second fiddle.

Congratulations too!!

Car tinkering has definitely taken a back burner, but i've managed to at least get the foam done on my seats after messing about with the wrong foam, still got to profile the back piece yet but it's almost done. I still haven't thought hard enough about how I'm going to hold the foam on the seat backs either, I have a few ideas on it though. Then it's time to graft the reclining mechanism off a Mk3 gti onto it, (it's escentially a rotational brake). Then finally it's off to the trimmers. I'm squaring off the seat bolsters too to match the backs.

just saw this havent read the rest ....

saab 900 and saab 9000 not sure about the newer ones have metal wire in the frame,

they have foam both sides of the seat frame and use a wire around the contors of the seat to give it its final shape when coverd its hard to explain but if you imagine 2 x u shape pieces of piano wire the height of the seat back and in between the seat frame so the seat frame is sandwiched , between the wire and the seat frame would be the foam , now the wire wouldnt hold there by its self so what they do is to use straight bits of wire hooked on each end to pull the wire frame tight against the foam both sides, the leather would have looped tunnels with wire in them and then the looped tunnel would be bound the the wire frame....

lol jeasus need to show you as it sounds ridiculous!! but it is a very easy and very effective way of shaping holding and tightening the leather to what ever position etc you like.....

got to the scrapper and get one strip it and you will see exactrly what i mean and i will work in your application definatly but you could probably improve what they have done maybe??

howdy pal, not long to go now! :D

you've only got yourself to blame now you've got it moved to your dad's - hurry up and get it done!!!

your discs are the correct way round btw :)

did you have to speak to the dealer about the lambdas or did vag-cat give you the answer in the end?

i recon that realistically if you haven't got it running and started ironing out the "teething issues" by the end of this month then you're slacking and you should be ashamed of yourself ;)

btw, i think that it was sensible to wrap the cats given the amount of heat they will hold (especially when standing still); personally i think that will do wonders to save your centre tunnel and all the associated trim and cabling that sits above it.

(if anyone else has noticed their trim/wiring in the area deteriorate with age - particularly around the gearshifter mech - i would be interested to hear...)

the only other thing it might be worth considering is putting some wrap over the steering rack for some extra protection (maybe :shrug: ), i would defo say that's worth thinking about while you're at this stage though...

hope all is well pal - any plans for your birthday? sounds like i good excuse to have a day off and work on the car to me!!! :D

Ha ha cheers Pete, and thanks for the help the other day!!, well if the snow is bad tonight I won't be commuting up the M3, so it might be car time!! However I'm off to do it now 8) The lambda's were already labelled! I really don't think enough heat will be getting to the rack, but if it does, I think I'll make a popper jacket rather than wrapping it to make aceess to it easier.

C488ADO, I know what you mean about the wires, that's how most cars are done, but I've used thick ally sheet (just for ease really) which doesn't really lend itself easily to hooking the wires in, but I could drill and tap some p clip type things I suppose for the trimmers to use. Still, I'm still struggling with the recliner brake at the moment.....thanks for the suggestions!! :D

Ok so here's how I intend to lay everything out give or take, the header tank hose won't go over the top of the airbox like that though! It somehow looks really untidy in the pics, but in the flesh it looks much more factory.

Corrado92.pdfIMAG0330.jpg[/attachment:1da29bwa]

The airbox is ending up in roughly the right place but isn't ideal, it sits a bit too high really but it looks much better in the flesh than it does in the pics, I might slice some of the bottom half off it to git it further down. The washer bottle sits spot on, you can see where the spigot on the bottom of the bottle locates into the hole in the chassis, now I've just got to re-route the washer jet lines.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfIMAG0325.jpg[/attachment:1da29bwa]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfIMAG0326.jpg[/attachment:1da29bwa]

The PAS bottle wil fit in there a treat also, there's a little bracket mounted just under the battery against the chassis leg that holds the PAS hoses in line, I'm just going to weld my seat Ibiza pas bracket to this one and job done, all the hose outlets lie in the right orientation too which is cool.IMAG0327.jpg[/attachment:1da29bwa]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMAG0329.jpg[/attachment:1da29bwa]

:clap:

wow, new to the corrado scene, loving them more and more each thread i read...this one makes me want one sooo bad!!! Top job mate, really pushing yourself with the new custom seats and CNC and milling work! what do you do for work?

top notch mate! will be following this to the end!!

Looking good mate. Takes me back :)

Its nice when things just "fit" once in a while isn't it!

Nice to see a proper conversion with attention to detail and completely useable.

Jay

Looks great. I had the same problem with the airbox when I tried it. Didnt think to cut a bit of the bottom though. Were you just going to leave it open like that or try some plastic welding?

Whats the PAS bottle from? Also Id try and get the Audi badge off. Its one of my pet hates to have other manuf logo's on the car. I still dont like Porsche centre caps on wheels :lol:

:clap:

wow, new to the corrado scene, loving them more and more each thread i read...this one makes me want one sooo bad!!! Top job mate, really pushing yourself with the new custom seats and CNC and milling work! what do you do for work?

top notch mate! will be following this to the end!!

Thanks mate, I'm a design engineer which helps! The seats are giving me grief at the moment, I can't get the rotary dampers to work properly, I thought they would be the easiest bit, but they seem to be the hardest part of the whole seats, I think I'll end up making my own rather than trying to graft existing ones to fit.

very tidy Kip. When will it be ready ?? :ignore:
Hi Chris mate how are you doing? Well I always take ten times longer than estimated but now i can get to the car when I want to, it should be much faster progress, today I've finished all the cooling side of things, including all the hoses which involved a fair bit of mix and matching hoses between the two engines. On the 3.2 engine the aux pump is in a different position (front of the block), I wanted to keep in in this position which meant lots of the 12V hoses didn't fit the engine and the 3.2 hoses didn't suit the car layout. In the end it all turned out a lot better than I thought it would, with all the hoses looking like they were meant to be there. I did however ruin my bottom rad hose if anyone has one for sale? I've also finished a new PAS bottle bracket, brake servo vacuum hose, a card template of a bracket to hold the airbox, and generally put lots of little clips and brackets back into the engine bay. I'm going to be spending a couple of evenings and Saturdays on it until it's finished, but i'm getting a new daily next weekend to replace my Arosa 1.0, which is doing my head in on my 150 mile round trip each day despite its good mpg.. so I won't be doing much next weekend!

Looking good mate. Takes me back :)

Its nice when things just "fit" once in a while isn't it!

Nice to see a proper conversion with attention to detail and completely useable.

Jay

Cheers Jay, you're right, it's soo nice when you can find something off the shelf to fit but that's a rare find! I really hope the car is a usable daily (even if it does drink a bit) as that's the proof of the pudding for me really. A few of the other car's i've done have been great as a weekend car, but sucked as daily's. I can't say I didn't use your thread as reference when I was planning it all though :D

Looks great. I had the same problem with the airbox when I tried it. Didnt think to cut a bit of the bottom though. Were you just going to leave it open like that or try some plastic welding?

Whats the PAS bottle from? Also Id try and get the Audi badge off. Its one of my pet hates to have other manuf logo's on the car. I still dont like Porsche centre caps on wheels :lol:

I've decided not to cut the bottom off it, as I'm going to use the Audi inlet duct (which needs the bottom on the airbox really) and cut a hole in the inner wing to give it a cold air supply, I thought I could get ducting round the back of the battery to the back of the headlight but it seems it's not so easy to get the x-sectional area I need so it seems better to get it from inside the wing, even though it's not a high pressure area like the original headlight position.

I quite like the Audi engine badge, I think it looks nicer than the VW one, I'd prefer it if it was VW, but I'm not bothered enough to change it! :D

Ok some pics of some small progress, just for my reference really as they aren't very interesting!

Oddly stuff just seemed to work for me tonight, even the brackets that I made actually fitted, usually when I make stuff for the first time it won't quite fit :D I have to drop a clanger soon!

More on Saturday I should think.

Wow it looks factory! :D

this is a great build thread KIP hope to see the car one day...... what daily you going for??

Wow it looks factory! :D

this is a great build thread KIP hope to see the car one day...... what daily you going for??

Cheers mate, it's a 91 Mk2 Gti, totally standard. Not sure if it's a wise daily, but I've always wanted a Mk2 in Silver.

It really is a thing of beauty! :luvlove:

Maybe when it's finished!!!

No way you have a silver Mk2. I officially hate you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 91, no small bumpers though, I'll let you off. :lol:

Ok, you must do this though below..... Was looking at Mk2's this week. I just cannot justify 3 cars so Im not going to bother. If its an 8v then it will be fine. They are pretty much bullet proof and a complete doddle to work on. You'll love it.

Oh and Im sure youve said but whats that PAS bottle from again? Is it the Ibiza one? If it is do you have apart number?

Ok, you must do this though below..... Was looking at Mk2's this week. I just cannot justify 3 cars so Im not going to bother. If its an 8v then it will be fine. They are pretty much bullet proof and a complete doddle to work on. You'll love it.

Oh and Im sure youve said but whats that PAS bottle from again? Is it the Ibiza one? If it is do you have apart number?

That's exactly how I intend it to look! 8) 8) 8) It'll be nice to be back in a golf again, it's been a few years since i had one, but it'll be my 7th I think :D

I'll get the part no. for you pal, but yes it was from an ibiza, the Golf one was the same except the ports come out at opposite ends, rather than at 90 degrees to each other. When I turned the bottle round I had to go back to using the ibiza one as the port exited heading into the rad.

where did you get that pic from??

Mk2 appreciation thread on ED38. Some crap cars but some stokers as well if you ignore all the poke stance dope chat nonsense.

Mk2 appreciation thread on ED38. Some crap cars but some stokers as well if you ignore all the poke stance dope chat nonsense.

I must have missed that pic, stopped loking after a couple of pages though! I'm not too keen on all the stance crap, but must admit I do like the BBS splits that everyone else seems to like too....

Awsome work Kip,loving tyour attention to detail.. 8)

cheers mate, not far for me now, glad you're carrying on with your car, best red C about bar none. :)

So how long til you can make those seats to order? :norty:

Great car, I'm not sure where you get the time! Insomniac???

So how long til you can make those seats to order? :norty:

Great car, I'm not sure where you get the time! Insomniac???

I don't really get the time, have you seen when this thread started!!!

The new daily :D :D 8v, 1 owner, always garaged, totally original except a tow bar, which will be the first thing to come off. He had one of those pointless little trailers hooked up to it :cuckoo: It has no mod cons at all except a sunroof so I'm going to put PAS onto it asap, along with some 15" nicer BBS, 16V rear lights, light smoked indicators etc. maybe a bee sting as I've just broken the wing mounted ariel. :roll:

The Arosa did me proud, it cost me nothing to run in 2 years (40k) except oil and tyres, although it could now do with a good service, but I'll let the new owner do that! The brakes though still have loads of life in them, just goes to show that lightweight really has its benefits. 49hp did have its limits though :lol:

IMAG0372.jpg[/attachment:2hecolto]