KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Nice, what silver is it? Mine was diamond silver. Fitted some G60 BBS's to mine and suited it perfectly.

I'm not sure what silver it is! I think it's a bit too dark for Diamond silver, I'll have a look later...

Hey Kip,

been following your thread for a while now, the car is coming on really well!!

like the way it looks like it came from the factory, i'm toying with the idea of an r32 conversion and would like it to turn out like yours! Hope you are keeping templates/files for all the brackets etc you have made :D

Out of interest, when it comes to picking up an engine, what are your views on the best/simplest route, Mk4, Mk5 R32, Audi 3.2? Just that i've heard that the MK5 engine is more complex to wire into the rado than the MK4, dose this also apply with different years of the Audi 3.2? is it worth worring about?

keep up the good work :salute:

Sounds like a good one, a clean MK2 GTI really can make a great fun daily

Too right !!! I've just had the best fun drive home I've had in a years :D

Hey Kip,

been following your thread for a while now, the car is coming on really well!!

like the way it looks like it came from the factory, i'm toying with the idea of an r32 conversion and would like it to turn out like yours! Hope you are keeping templates/files for all the brackets etc you have made :D

Out of interest, when it comes to picking up an engine, what are your views on the best/simplest route, Mk4, Mk5 R32, Audi 3.2? Just that i've heard that the MK5 engine is more complex to wire into the rado than the MK4, dose this also apply with different years of the Audi 3.2? is it worth worring about?

keep up the good work :salute:

Thanks mate :D , yes templates have all been kept!!

My personal preference is an Audi 2004 TT / 3.2 A3 engine. TT's in my view are less likely to be ragged than R32's as they are less focused drivers cars. According to Phat VR6 there are quite a few differences between the two engines, I couldn't tell you what though, but he seemed to think the Audi's were better, it does cost more to buy! Bit more powerful (negligible though). Audi ECU's cause less agro for the immobilizer defeat, although if I were doing this again, I'd consider using a standalone ECU, it's much less hassle. :D

I heard recently (third hand info) that the EOS was the pick of the bunch - less features in the management to overcome. Also more of a comfort car than a drivers car - so less of a hard life from new

Yeah you're probably right about the car, 2wd DSG gearbox will come with it too 8) , but I think it still has the aukward Mk5 Style immobilizer.

Yeah you're probably right about the car, 2wd DSG gearbox will come with it too 8) , but I think it still has the aukward Mk5 Style immobilizer.

think you're right there pal - afaik the immobiliser chip on the ecu varied with age rather than which vag model it was fitted to

Hey Pete, how's the M5 going?

hey pal good thanks - educated an audi on my way home this evening actually. that said the mrs has got the pig with me now and she's buggered off downstairs - she's not a fan of going even slightly fast! (i never went above 100 though! :ignore: )

she asked me once to "drive like you do when you go out with Chris and your friends!" - i explained how that possibly be a bad idea! i had the evo at the time too which seemingly didn't have to slow down at all for corners, so that would have been an even worse plan :lol:

really need to get my arse in gear and sort the new goodridge brake hoses out - just getting round to it i guess. i'll try and get the originals sent off next wknd, then i can have the replacements back in time for when i do the water pump and belts etc - do all the work in a day then HOPEFULY!

hows both the rado and the mk2 now - you must be running out of excuses why the rado can't be on the road by the end of feb at the very latest... :wink:

To be honest it's coming along nicely mate, been a bit busy with the tax return though :( and work has been piling on the hours but can't complain, at least I've got work!

Got the slam panel all built up today with new clips and stuff, and made a long list of more clips I need to order..... Also finished the mounting the washer bottle, and thought about fitting the dash, but then remembered I needed to fit the new matrix. Then I started looking for it and just ended up doing a big garage clearup.

Then looked at all the dash area, with all the wires atc, and then looked at the piles spurious bits I have lying around, had a 'wtf does it all go' moment, turned the light out and went home :D

Ok finished getting most of the dash back together today after having finished putting the new matrix in :dance: . To be honest I was dreading putting it back in, I had stuff all over the place that had been stored in various boxes and ice cream tubs, but it all went back in without much hassle, although it all seems like it could do with a bit of felt to stop it creaking. Although I was careful not to break anything, I can feel some of the dash plastics have gone a bit brittle...I expect they are obsolete now too along with everything else. Need to crack on with my new seats really, but put the original ones back in for the time being.

Got all the parcel shelf supports, tunnel cover bits and rear seats in.

Plugged in my new headlight level adjustment switch, so no more messing about with the headlight levels when I change the ride heights etc..... and one Arosa without any headlight level motors! Still got to put in the heater dials, getting some new cables for them. Stereo's in the Mk2 at the moment, a nice top spec Alpine from 2002ish.

I'm also waiting for a radiator air guide to arrive in the post before I can put the front bumper back on, I'm not too fussed about the amount of air going around the rad, it's more to help keep the engine bay cleanish! Also got a Mk2 undertray in the post, have no idea if it'll fit, but it'll go on my Mk2 if it doesn't, and then I'll have to make one that does fit. Two different grilles, one colour coded one with all the slats with air holes, and one unpainted with just the bottom slat holed, is that a late G60 one?

Still got to put all the hose connectors on the hoses and fill it up the water system. Then got to bin the old alarm, sort out the new Toad alarm and re-subscribe the tracker, put the new sound deadener on the underside of the bonnet and put the bonnet on the car, along with the front bumper.

The wheels are growing on me, was very unsure about them for a while, but once I've sorted the ride height and got the rest of the exterior sorted I think they will be spot on, but I'm probably going to do away with the diamond cut finish, it's too bling for my liking. They look huge, probably an optical illusion because of the full face design, I'm going to weigh one, because they seem significantly lighter than my RX's.

I'm going to get the car running, and then probably take the headliner out, I've bought some grey alcantara to cover it with as I really don't like the existing light grey, especially as it's got 128k of dirt on it!

Tried my rear lights on the car I did (page 5 or something), didn't like 'em. :lol:

What a beauty Kip :notworthy:

Ahh see what you mean about the wheels looking big but look very good.

Might seem like a strange suggestion but try a foam upholstery cleaner on the headlining, did mine and the difference was remarkable. Alcantara is a great change though :clap:

Awesome work there mate.

Cheers guys, bit more done, I'll get some better pics soon. Front Bumper on now, along with all the associated lights. just sorted out the camber and dropped the rear suspension down an inch, still looks a bit high, but really need a shorter spring as it's adjusted all the way down. I want to get the wheel in the centre of the arch, as I seem to remember that was the best comprimise between ride and handling. Also put the wheel arch liners in with all new screws.

I'm away Saturday and I'm going to do the cam belt for the Gti on Sunday, so won't be getting much done on the car this weekend. :(

223.jpg[/attachment:1sc2eve7]

Well, it was a nice day today so I thought I'd take chance to fart about tidying up the Mk2 a little, fit some G60 BBS alloys to it, and push Rax out into the sun for a little look round. Got some of the brackets back from powder coating in satin black which fit in well with the look of the bay. Also came to the decision to make myself a nice carbon strut brace, design now under way....

I'm a little concerned about the shift cables heat shield touching the lamder probe, but will probably just live with it unless it's a real problem. Other than finishing of the wiring, which Jon is coming over to do at some point, there isn't much left to do now, just a few small details, like swapping over the Washer jet tube and fitting the BMW auto diming rear view mirror. It also has to be set up properly both engine wise and suspension/geometry wise.

Some pics of the day

yea likewise! a im sure its one of the most well detailed engine swap/car on the net! :salute:

Too much time spent thinking about it that's why!! :D

Kip, what a great job you are doing. This is an awesome car. Can't wait to see it in the metal.
Thanks pal, sometime soon!!

Cheers guys, one's going to have to go when i've finished the C :( It'll probably be the Gti!!