easypops

My VR6 and Storm

31 minutes ago, Keyo said:

That looks in good condition- nice to see it has the original pant code sticker in place, See that black metal clip that houses the blue solenoid normally (first and second picture)- if you google that part number of that clip it does not exist on etka or not on VW Classics - so keep it safe ha. 

Weird that you mentioned that. I was just looking at it. The one on my car comes in 2 separate pieces, where the one on another car I have is a single piece

F038DF35-6C09-4EEA-8C79-ACD013550E0A.jpeg

5E09E820-B3CD-4AFB-83C5-4118FC424AD2.jpeg

Edited by easypops
Images

The bottom picture is correct I have never come across the other bracket in your hand, is there a part number on it? 

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

The bottom picture is correct I have never come across the other bracket in your hand, is there a part number on it? 

I’ll check once I’m in(out for the daily cycle) 👍

Great work! It's an awful job getting the factory sealer/wax off, but make it look so much cleaner when done. Looks great now Martin, keep up with the enthusiasm!

Holy what a great job once again! So you're equipped to spray paint? Yes that wax is hard to remove. What are you going to put over your new paint? I'm thinking of waxing it but is there a better sealer to keep the future grease out?

Those brackets, the one underneath that goes to the right holds a part in place. The one that installs on top of the other bracket that aim towards the left hold the A/C pipe that pass there. I just removed it since I'm going to delete the A/C. I guess that would explain why some have it and some don't, depends if A/C equipped.

Keep it up, you're coming with exceptional results!

Lovely job. Just checked my old photos and my blackberry corrado only has the back bracket, the front looks fabricated by someone.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

the front looks fabricated by someone.

I tend to agree, never seen one of those before (neither the VR or 8v has one either). Bracket for aftermarket cone filter?

Certainly worth holding onto, should the need arise.

Regarding paint. Did you use any particular  paint,undercoat,primer ? I’ve had issues with paint chipping real easy.

Always curious what the home sprayer uses ?

59 minutes ago, James. said:

Bracket for aftermarket cone filter?

I think you are correct, I had a Neuspeed bracket in the same place on my MK3 VR6 with a Cossie Ramair cone filter

Edited by Dox

54 minutes ago, James. said:

I tend to agree, never seen one of those before (neither the VR or 8v has one either). Bracket for aftermarket cone filter?

Certainly worth holding onto, should the need arise.

Regarding paint. Did you use any particular  paint,undercoat,primer ? I’ve had issues with paint chipping real easy.

Always curious what the home sprayer uses ?

The car had a couple of questionable modifications under the bonnet, can’t actually remember but I think it did indeed have a cone type filter 👍

Paint wise, nothing special, just these

199EEB47-F706-40D2-9C07-7666B9FB914F.jpeg

11 minutes ago, James. said:

Care to elaborate ?

I’ll do my best 🤣

The fpr had been bypassed, I’ll add a picture tomorrow if I can find it. It was replaced with this thing I’ve pictured. Now I’m not saying this thing is rubbish but I’m not sure it was getting used properly. When I picked the car up the seller warned me if I stalled or stopped it, it wouldn’t start for hours due to a fuel issue. Which I had to do as I needed fuel for the 150 ish mile drive home. The solution was to crank it with the fuel pipe off the rail then jam it on while it started 🤣💣. He came to the petrol station and did this procedure, fuel was squirting halfway across the courtyard 🤣. We eventually got it started by disconnecting this adjustable fpr then reconnecting it. I then drove home without stalling and next day put it back to standard.

There was also some sort of filter on the vac line from the servo 🥴

1EF67B10-72AC-46BD-BB34-7B816A16894A.jpeg

12 minutes ago, easypops said:

I’ll do my best 🤣

The fpr had been bypassed, I’ll add a picture tomorrow if I can find it. It was replaced with this thing I’ve pictured. Now I’m not saying this thing is rubbish but I’m not sure it was getting used properly. When I picked the car up the seller warned me if I stalled or stopped it, it wouldn’t start for hours due to a fuel issue. Which I had to do as I needed fuel for the 150 ish mile drive home. The solution was to crank it with the fuel pipe off the rail then jam it on while it started 🤣💣. He came to the petrol station and did this procedure, fuel was squirting halfway across the courtyard 🤣. We eventually got it started by disconnecting this adjustable fpr then reconnecting it. I then drove home without stalling and next day put it back to standard.

There was also some sort of filter on the vac line from the servo 🥴

1EF67B10-72AC-46BD-BB34-7B816A16894A.jpeg

That looks like an adjustable fpr? And the filter thing sounds like an Ecotec valve? Made a sucky noise?

9 hours ago, easypops said:

“ fuel was squirting halfway across the courtyard “

Wow, that’s safe !

It amazes me the lengths some owners (and that goes for owners of other marques as well) will go to, with oddball repairs.

When I bought the VR, under the steering wheel it had a toggle switch to disable the alarm horn.

Yes, please. More if you have them.

Ok, quick update, I’ve been busy doing various jobs, mostly the unseen stuff. Fitted the heated seat loom, fitted the Recaro loom, fitted the servo , what a horrible thing. I couldn’t get it in but my good friend Michael (Goldie) brought the power and pushed it into place 💪🤣. All wiring is now (hopefully)done on the car, all bay wiring wrapped.Short shifter(daves16v) fitted, new sunroof seal plus retrimmed headlining fitted.Refurbished steering rack fitted to subframe and that’s fitted as well. Drivers side hub was sticky although the bearings haven’t seen any use but they were fitted a couple of years ago, swapped it out for a new hub and bearing, I’m going to do the passenger side as well.

Amd just to keep it interesting, lockdown has thrown a spanner in the works a bit. My Storm that has been hiding in the body shop for the last 3 years is getting painted this weekend and will be ready next week, so, the red one needs to get out of the garage as the Storm must go in, considering it has no glass etc 🤣

41FE5728-0B77-4F60-9D25-A58C974BF916.jpeg

D990BED3-8DCB-41CC-AF03-0B6EAA4AC56D.jpeg

E17AF817-4723-4783-B37D-55BAFEC9107C.jpeg

22375022-5931-488F-93FA-F7022DBA3F50.jpeg

I thought you must have been busy as you seemed quiet on here. All looking great, well done in getting on with it. Especially sorting the Storm 👍

I wondered what happened to the storm,last I remember it was going in for paint,3 years in the body shop,that’s quite some prep work,paint should be like glass 😂

3 minutes ago, Nmdsec said:

I wondered what happened to the storm,last I remember it was going in for paint,3 years in the body shop,that’s quite some prep work,paint should be like glass 😂

Ha ha, I know. They moved premises during the time they had it as they were getting busier all the time. They don’t really like doing full resprays as there is better money in repairs/quick turnarounds. They did say they would do it at the quiet times but those times just didn’t happen, until now. I can’t complain as it’s taken away a storage problem, one I now have a week to solve 🤣

So, with the fairly imminent arrival of my Storm, I had to make some space. I’ve had an aqua blue breaker sitting for about 5 years , which is great if a part was required but it had to go.

I wanted the rear quarter windows and a few other bits that were left on it plus Jamiehamy popped over for a bit of a socially distanced angle grinding as he needed a bit of the floor

1060853D-CBB5-40DD-8281-BFF0AD636690.jpeg

7EFF2172-2337-461D-90FE-9BCF74627E5C.jpeg

4C0FF412-CC85-45F8-A519-5B2001FDFB24.jpeg

AEC28E7D-1B46-4474-B880-73F6B2EF5B9C.jpeg

Wow, the serial hoarder letting something go,  that must have been difficult for you Martin! 🤭😆

Ha ha, it wasn’t easy I tell you but I knew it was over once I’d started cutting out the rear quarter windows 🤣

Ok, long overdue update, lots of work on the interior at the moment, with a massive amount of help from Michael Goldie Goldsmith.

Getting to the point that it’ll need to be the big ticket items going in soon, fuel tank, exhaust, engine and gearbox.

This car is basically where I’m getting to put all the nice bits ( I like them anyway) I’ve bought /acquired over the years.

538FDA43-25E6-4248-8AAF-17CB4E12F08B.jpeg

BD6AA5A4-0E08-4553-8AE7-3A1490EF7CF2.jpeg

1CF37902-5ED8-43BE-87CF-B626FB624202.jpeg

8198BA2C-DF6D-47F9-B1D0-FF5F4DC70410.jpeg

CD60915C-5494-46C2-926E-1A1070083EEC.jpeg

2797760C-2096-4197-9DE4-995FE243AD6C.jpeg

46EA07FF-39F6-49D2-8091-160E1B99F28E.jpeg

BD331A1D-81AA-4AFF-9BE5-09314F029762.jpeg

0D0D87E0-51CB-4A0F-BC07-C2EF162A160A.jpeg

Has it running ? Looks like good oil pressure. Looking like a car again with lonely seats.