Pat_McCrotch

Whats the best MPG anyones had out of a Corrado?

Kev - out of interest what does yours show at 165MPH?? :lol:

at that point the MFA switches to gallons per mile.

:lol:

LOL, mine can't even do 165. It maxes out at just over 150 :lol: And yeah, as David says, at that point it's meters per fluid tonne!

i had my BM showing 6.4 mpg once :shock: but i was doing 155mph, bloody limiter :censored:

38.8mpg from a VR6 - Basingstoke to Hounslow, 56mph all the way, super-unleaded.

Not bad for a 15 year old 2.9!

Not sure what my G60 will do, but have seen around 30mpg on the way to meets

2.0 16v 9a has done a tank average of 30.7 this week on my 9mile commute through Birmingham every morning and night. Not too bad, although really am driving slow!

How you boys get those figures in a VR??

Ollie

I think it's a combination of factors.. more modern engine design, electronic fuel injection.. but can definitely verify the VR will turn in better economy than my valver will!

And taller gearing.

One of the main reasons is the VR6 has much more precise fuel metering and sequential injection, which makes a big difference to part throttle and cruise economy.

K Jet and Digifant are both incredibly old and low tech I'm afraid. G60s also have a constant parasitic load on the engine, so always needs fuel to drive the thing.

Had 48.7 from the 8v on our recent scotland road trip :grin:

Yes, VR6 is surprisingly efficient. Probably one of the reasons I am still hanging on to it these days.

Monitoring consumption figure can tell you very precisely if something is not right somewhere, too. (As in any car)

When I had slight binding brake trouble last year - before i got them renewed, the consumption was down to 24-27 mpg.

You know when you are back up to 30-37 (with summer temps) things are fine.

Since an AA callout experience on the M8 about 30 years ago (Poxhaul Cavalier), I have always made a point of checking wheel temperatures, from time to time, cautiously, by hand, after a brisk journey.

It is amazing how often brake binding occurs and drivers are unaware of it until they smell the scorched pads and see the discs have turned blue, having cooled down :lol:

This seems to be a problem that defeats most car manufacturers even today. My wife was on a journey a few days ago with a couple in their BMW and on arrival at the destination his brake(s) were "red hot" and he had to make arrangements to have car picked up.

Sorry for off topic sermon, but I feel it is worth pointing out. Avoiding the situation will save fuel and probably the early death of parts of your braking system.

On the road down from Braemar, Kip? I take it that is a spot reading, not a mean over dozens of miles?

You start at about 1000ft above sea level - we got 37+mpg from Braemar to home near Edinburgh, which includes a good bit of M90.

Since an AA callout experience on the M8 about 30 years ago (Poxhaul Cavalier), I have always made a point of checking wheel temperatures, from time to time, cautiously, by hand, after a brisk journey.

It is amazing how often brake binding occurs and drivers are unaware of it until they smell the scorched pads and see the discs have turned blue, having cooled down :lol:

Sound advice! I bought one of these a couple of years ago to help diagnose an exhaust manifold cracking problem - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221048 - and every now and then I point it at the wheels to check for binding :D

treated myself to one of those when maplins had one type on a very good offer earlier in the year, drove everyone mad pointing it at everything in sight, the laser pointer on it amused me for hours :lol:

seems to read the same from the water hoses and head as the MFA and gauges on the car do though so it's fairly useful, still want a thermal imaging camera though :lol:

good advice on the brake binding, suprised it made such a difference to the mpg and that gadget is cool :lol:

41.6mpg on Shell V Power on the way from Leeds -> Alton, Hampshire....

Babying it at 70mph all the way. Then I got stuck on the m25 for 3 hours in 40+ degree heat. Not fun.

Bear in mind engines need less fuel when the ambient temp is warm. i.e. it's not unusual for them to use less fuel over the summer compared to winter :wink:

Well the car may have been operating at it's peak, but I damn well wasn't! I was resorting to hiding behind lorries for shade!

On the road down from Braemar, Kip? I take it that is a spot reading, not a mean over dozens of miles?

You start at about 1000ft above sea level - we got 37+mpg from Braemar to home near Edinburgh, which includes a good bit of M90.

Hi there, it was on the run from Oban to inverness and we hit that MPG just as we got to Loch Ness before meeting up with Yan which resulted in a spirited drive to our hotel and knocked it down to 42 MPG. It was during a 100 mile trip :clap: :grin:

The majority of the roads leading to and from braemar really are fantastic!

My red g60 I got pretty much 38/40mpg all the time, never really checked it when giving it the beans. My green goblin of a g60 didn't go above 27 when I had it :cuckoo:

28mpg average on my g60...is that bad???

Thats pretty normal although they can be very economic in standard form 30-40mpg is achievable!

You might find a good service / setup raises the average above 30mpg but remember it's traffic that kills the G60s MPG as the charger is always being driven by the engine.

28mpg average on my g60...is that bad???

Thats pretty normal although they can be very economic in standard form 30-40mpg is achievable!

You might find a good service / setup raises the average above 30mpg but remember it's traffic that kills the G60s MPG as the charger is always being driven by the engine.

Ok, thanks for this. It's all a learning curve for me. :clap: