robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

10w40 oil isn't 'thicker' than 5w40, in fact the latter has a wider operating temperature and should actually offer better lubrication while the engine is still warming up. Also, the Synta 10w40 is a semi-synth blend whereas the 5w40 is a fully synthetic oil so is generally perceived as 'better' quality.

Check the oilman from Opie threads for a more comprehensive explanation...

This is becoming a little worrying now , I received the parts looked at them and put them back in the box . Having never held or taken off these parts from my car , ie I've got nothing to compare the new parts to , I was thinking everything was right . I'm now going to have to list all the part numbers and ring them to double check it all matches for a VR . Mistakes happen , I've been sent a dizzy cap for a valver before , as soon as you open the box you know , but it's obvious as it only has four lead holes . Parts that you have never taken off before are a different ball game .

Rob

In my build thread there's some pictures of wishbones/bushes etc if you need a point of reference. To me the one in the top of the picture looks correct.

On the oil front, I'm sure I've got some bottles of synta silver somewhere which I'm unlikely to use as the 24v runs 5w40, and is only on about 60k miles at the moment.

If you want/need them just send me a PM

only a small update really . I finaly caved in today and taxed the car . It will only get used on good days . I just thought it would be better to drive it and air it , rather than it being sat on the drive , its there to be driven after all . I pulled up to get some fuel . got back in the car and it would not start . I couldnt believe it . I had no tools , so i rang the AA. In the meantime it fired up , the AA bloke took a look anyway , turns out the dizzy cap has been getting moisture in it and its been arcing . You could clearly see the marks from the centre to the outer pins .Anyway he cleaned it up and i will get a new cap and rotor arm this week . The underside rebuild is coming along well , ive nearly got all the parts i need . A friend is blasting and powdercoating the beam soon . I decided to do the hubs and sub axles myself as it gives me something to do in the evenings . I bought some grinding stones in various shapes and sizes and ground the rust and crap of them , then painted them with five coats of hammerite . Im very much hoping to get my tax rebate soon , so i will be able to get the underside finished .

IMG_0377.jpg.

Thanks for looking .

Oh Rob, sorry to read about the starting troubles again. Fingers crossed its sorted now.

Nice to see the underneath is progressing well buddy. When do you think the powdercoating will be done?

Probably a very good decision to use it occasionally Rob you can use them during the winter it just take's a little more keeping on top of thing's it should go a way to stop the moisture issue in the dizzy too car's don't like being sat too long. Part's are looking good too :thumbleft:

Good to see your cracking on and making progress Rob! Excellent news you've taxed it too! As you said mate, its there to be driven. Look forward to seeing more updates mate. :thumbleft:

Thanks for the comments everyone . Matt , hopefully i will get the nod from John soon . James and Sean, yeah it will take some more cleaning etc , better to keep running the car than occasional starting . Ive also removed the car cover now , although it will go back on when next doors tree starts loosing its leaves . Poxy twigs n stuff get everywhere . I replaced the dizzy and rotor arm after work today . The last one was a Bosch , i got a Beru one this time ,i was a little disappointed that it came on its own with no black cover like the Bosch , It sticks out in the bay now , but i can live with it . Really looking forward to doing the resto on the underside , just a few more parts to get . I will be checking the manual as well to make sure ive got everything i need .

Kind regards

Rob

That's the spirit Rob you know that these car's can get you down (I know mate) best way is to keep at em and the running it occasionally over winter will help no doubt even if you just start it and leave it running for a bit without actually driving it.

A bit of Corrado therapy for you over the winter- Get everything fitted and raring to go, then lets see what the old girl's got! Not been out in your Rado for ages mate.

Bloody hell those hubs have come up like new, good work mate.

Good to see you using it buddy, cars dont really like being sat and it also gives us an excuse for a South West Rado meet during the winter sometime.

Also, I've got a dizzy cover here if you want it, it's been painted white but I'm sure you could paint it another colour.

Rog.

Not much of an update really [bummer] . She goes in for the MOT tomorrow , she should go straight through . In the 7 years i have owned the car i have had only one advisory. All my underside parts are still bulging out of my shed [its not a big shed]. Im hoping to send the rear beam off this month to be powder coated .Lack of funds have been stopping me from sorting out my project of the underneath .

Regards

Rob

I'm sure it'll be fine Rob, but you can't help but be nervous!

I took the Aqua for the MOT today actually. Failed, but only a couple of easily sorted problems. Mostly to do with me being a douche! haha!

Brake compensator is seized so rear brakes are poor, (I didn't even notice or check tbh), and "cough cough" front wheel bolts weren't tight, and all 4 wheels were on the wrong way (directional). :lol: :bonk:

And it's a pass . Had an advisory on a rear wheel bearing . All bearings will be done with the underside refurb anyway . Happy days . Now have to go in to battle with the insurance company's , trying to find a good deal .

Rob

Thanks James , I forgot to mention he had a little moan about the indicators not being orange , or the bulbs (on the wings ) . Got it done for 30.00 quid though .