robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Well hopefully the stage is set for Saturday. The plan is to jack the car up and remove the rear wheels . Get the jet washer on any bits I haven't been able to get to as yet . Then give the shocks a good bit of prep and get them painted . Then get any of the last bits of underseal touched in . While the wheels are off I can clean the inside rims , they are filthy to say the least. I can get some decent pics while I'm at it too . The car goes back in next week as the brakes are shocking ATM . There's no air in the system at all , so a bit of work to do there .come rain or shine I will be on it ! .

Top man, don't forget to bleed the master cylinder! I remember when I did mine the first time. Brakes were poor but as soon as I did the master cylinder they were perfect. I did it this time, but can't remember if I had the cap on as not much came out.

I'm doing the whole system again this week and hoping it comes good by Friday re-test time. Fingers and toes crossed for both of us!!!

BTW Rob, there will be a massive build up of dirt around the filler neck so stick your head up there. Its why they're prone to rust as they don't get cleaned very often in that spot. Worth touching up any underseal and letting it dry before the jetwash too as it'll force water underneath and have no way to escape otherwise!

:thumbleft:

Hi Sean . I'm letting my friendly mechanic sort out the brakes , I just don't have time to do it and would rather it was done by him anyway to be honest , not that I don't trust myself , but it's an essential part of the car lol . I've already done the filler neck . I poked around it with a screwdriver and a Hoover lol . Clean as a whistle . I did it when I had the rubber surround off . The lip was always full of water , so the drain tube was unblocked too . I will let him know about the master cylinder. He said its been bled before the compensator and after . There's only fluid coming out ?

Must meet up with you and Rog soon mate .

A few more pics of the underside . Ive now painted the shocks in the original yellow . Finaly managed to sort out the brakes . It was the master cylinder that needed bleeding , well done Sean and Dan at the dub shack . They are the best they have ever been now .

12656095_759899020777363_1586563648_o.jpg

12696299_759898797444052_1938979902_o.jpg

12669795_759899044110694_1444263177_o.jpg

12656027_759898790777386_604747781_o.jpg

IMG_1704_1.jpg

The fuel tank looks filthy in the pics , but its not , i cleaned it lol. Pics are worse than than the last lot i did ! .Never mind .

Edited by robrado974

Looks great Rob! You'll need some thinners or some sort of tar remover on the fuel tank, then a plastic dressing to get it back to the factory look. I do now have rear beam envy too! lol

I will bare that in mind Sean , thanks for the heads up on the cleaning .

James , thanks mate . I forgot to reply to you about the caps , sorry . I'm going to email Compomotive first and see what they say . You never know I might get a freebie, since I've lost one to their crap fitting .

Yes, good work Rob :thumbleft:

My fuel tank was partially sprayed with wax! so a right pain to get looking nice, still got a lot more to get off yet the underside floor too .

Thanks Darren . I did notice a nasty loose patch of underseal while it was on the ramp .Fortunately it's still fresh and the grey body paint is still intact, with no evidence of rust . So I will get on to that ASAP .

Small update .

I received my bottle of leather repair paint from Gliptone today . I've done a couple of test patches and all looks great . I'm looking forward to cleaning and preparing the seats for paint and getting them finished . Hopefully this week I will get the carpet looked at by a professional fitter , I've got so far but getting it right is proving difficult. I can't wait to get the interior back in . I'm also saving for tyres , I need all four , to get it through the mot , which ran out on Saturday.

rob,

I know you will but just to make sure you give them a good clean before hand, I used the gliptone cleaner then I think some wipes that came with it? it will adhere much better, I ended up doing small patches on one seat mainly because I got lazy and it was clearly where I simply hadn't cleaned it enough

page 4 on here if you want to have a mooch ;-)

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?83329-devon-newbie-new-wheels-update-(pic-heavy)/page4

Hi mate ,

I've just done the first two coats and the first seat looks amazing . I didn't see the point in using the leather cleaner , as meths will clean and de grease in one and it's only a low solvent based product , so no damage is caused to the leather .

don't tell me I spent hours and hours with that frigging toothbrush :bonk::bonk:

fairplay mate eagerly awaiting pics ;-)

Toothbrush? Lol . I used a clean cloth with meths on it and didn't go mad , I just gently rubbed the leather . I used a cotton wool ball rapped in linin cloth . The dye was applied in little round circles . Obviously the more costs you apply, the easier it gets as they are not so dry .,

So with four new tyres purchased i can now book the mot . Fingers crossed she will go straight through as always . Then in a couple of weeks im off to Devon dub shack so we can get that carpet fitted and then install the rest of the interior . All the leather is now painted , Darren at the shack is going to fit the new bolster to the drivers seat while I'm there . I may as well take the dye with me and paint it so i dont have to drive home and take the seat out again . I cant wait to have the car back on the road again , summer is coming !.

Sure it'll be fine Rob, the amount of work you've done the last few months should ensure that!

What do you have left to paint of the interior? The seat is pretty easy to strip down, the leather is just held in place with teeth at the bottom and the bolsters just sit on top of the seat frame. Its so satisfying when the whole interior is in and looking great though mate! :thumbleft:

I didn't know it was that easy to get to the bolster Sean . I've only got the drivers seat to paint mate . I think I'm going to send the steering wheel away to be retrimmed , the refurb I did has lasted about a month ! .

Look forward to seeing the steering wheel mate, its a job I'd like to do at some point but I'm envisaging a pretty hefty price tag. I thought about getting in on the group buy a while ago for the NOS ones, but couldn't bring myself to pay what they were going for. I wouldn't mind replacing my door pulls, gear knob and handbrake handle either at some point.

So many parts to buy Sean lol . We could go on for ever . I purchased the plastic try angle part that sits on the handbrake , but yeah my handbreak lever has seen better days .The gear knob I got from here too, someone was selling and unopened one . I wish I had gone into the group buy oem steering wheels but I just could not do it at the time .

Edited by robrado974

Well its MOT time tommorrow . Ive got my fingers crossed for a pass . Then im off to Devon Dub Shack on the 27th , there will be two or three of us fitting the new carpet and the interior . Ive ordered some mastic on a roll for the membrane , so hopefully this time it will not leak !.

Its a pass for the MOT . But only just . I got home and it was back on the drive , my neighbour drove it to Kwikfit for the MOT as he works there . He popped over and said it passed but the ABS light is not coming on and the main beam is not working . I think ive pulled a wire while fitting the battery back in as the relays live in front of the battery and its a tight squeeze . It was only when he mentioned the ABS light i noticed they had put a strip of black tape over it . I started the car , the light came on and went out as it should . I can only think it must be the ECU having the power cut to it and its part of the resetting process . The car needs a good clean inside and out its filthy . I cant wait to fit the interior in , it seems like a liong time since i removed it , so roll on the 27th .

Congratulations on the mot mate. The most stressful time of car ownership

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk