robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Top work Rob, you can't be far off being finished now though surely? Once the underside is complete its got to be just the nightly little things left to do which are hopefully inexpensive and easy enough???

I will still have the front underside to do Sean . I have a bolster on the way from Chris Fuzzer, so the seat can be repaired. Then there's the painting of the seats . I also have a few rust bubbles on the paint . I'm just doing what I can when funds allow really . Its getting there though mate .

Delfinis , I'm looking forward to the dry weather too ! , this rain is relentless.

I popped in to see my friendly mechanic to see how he was getting on today . Most of the old stuff is off the car now . He gave me the hubs and carriers so I could take them home to paint them . I didn't see any point in buying new hubs , I just used a wire brush and a drill , removed the surface rust and sprayed them with high temp paint . The brake compensator I bought was wrong , so a new one is on order . I hate it when your on eBay and it states to fit corrado VR6 , and it doesn't fit !!.

I've just checked the one I bought on eBay and it says 16v 2.0 and G60 so my bad . I was sure I checked and it was for a VR . I can't return it now either, there is a fourteen day policy on it . I will stick it on the for sale section .

When it's back home mate , or if I can get a sneaky look tomorrow. I just hope there are no more parts that are wrong ,it should be ok though . The rear disc covers were right and that was one of the parts that concerned me . Pics coming soon Matt .

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

A few pics from the rear underside re build . Not the best granted , but my mechanic mate , Sham , was working on the car at the time and i didnt want to get in his way . He was cursing at the rusted twenty five year old nuts n bolts as it was !. considering the problems he has had ,im glad i didnt do this myself on the drive , it would have sat there for months . Many thanks to Chris Fuzzer for the seat bolster , i can now put the seat in for repair. Im not sure if i mentioned before , that a neighbor lent me his spray kit , so i can paint my seats , which will make a huge difference to the interior . When i get the car back , hopefully on Monday , i will jack the car up and get some better pics .

Thanks bud . I just hope the weather picks up a bit soon . I haven't cleaned my cat in two months or more !

Your cat must be filthy and its hair will be matted

Great work btw

It is disgusting, covered in spider webs too . I've got a free weekend next week, hopefully I will be able to get her clean again .

I was having a laugh as you wrote " your CAT not your car " hadn't been washed for months, poor cat :dance:

Well done Rob, looking good under there. Got to admit, I'm itching to do the underside of mine but have to try and resist for the time being! May do what you did though and start getting the odd few bits each month to spread out the cost.

Thanks Sean . It's the best way for me . Spreading the cost . The rear is not to bad really. Expense wise I mean . Like you say with the rear you can buy bits and fit them as you go , fuel tank straps , bumper bolts etc .The pics are poor quality, if it stops raining when I get it back next week, I will get some better ones .

I got the car back this evening and I'm very happy. I will post some better pics , when I've painted the shocks . They really let the underside down . I think I will paint them black , they are yellow at present. So for now I will put up a list of what has been replaced so far .

From the rear of the car .

New heat shield inside the bumper .

New bumper iron bolts .

New MK4 calipers .

Pads.

Hubs refurbed.

New bearings .

New handbrake cables and clips .

New break compensator.

Changed the metal fuel filter housing to the plastic one .

Exhaust knocking fixed .

Rear beam powdercoated.

New bolts for fixings .

All under seal checked and coats applied where needed.

New tank straps and bolts .

I think that's it .

Rob .

Edit . New beam bushes and bolts .

Edited by robrado974

Thanks chaps . Will get some up as soon as I can . I forgot to add , I will be cleaning the inside of the wheels while they are off , they are filthy to say the least .

Not sure to be honest mate. Just make sure you key the surface of the shocks so it adheres properly or it'll flake off. Hammerite smooth black or similar will probably do the job though and widely available.

Nice one Sean , thank you .

Delfinis. I can't take the credit for it . As said it was supposed to be a joint effort between me and my mechanic, work dictates though and I'm up to my neck in it . And as you say driveway mechanics in the cold or rain is not fun at all . It would have taken me way to long .