robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Thanks chaps . The first thing I did was tax it , then off for a spin .

Love it nice one and with only one seat in? weight saving?

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Lol mic . Yeah it's a bit nervy .

You've done so much to it now though, must be almost a new car!?!

Love it nice one and with only one seat in? weight saving?

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Lol Chris , not weight saving . I took all the interior out because of a leak . I've replaced all the soundproofing and stuff . Just haven't got round to fitting it all back in .

You've done so much to it now though, must be almost a new car!?!

You would think so Mic . I always think of classic cars like the fourth bridge , by the time you have finished its time to start again . My paint now has two little scabs in it , so as soon as the front underside is all brand new , I will be getting that sorted . It was repainted around five years ago .

So on Wednesday I went to Devon dub shack to fit my interior in. A lot of us have changed interiors on our own before , I've done it a couple of times . This time I had the new carpet from Heritage to fit . I had started to fit this on my own , but got worried about the trimming , that it says on the instructions you may have to do . It's fitted now but I have to say it was a ball ache . The constant checking and rechecking that your happy with how it's sat before any trimming is done . I can't see why Newton commercial didn't copy the carpet as OEM ?.As I have said in a previous post , I fitted closed cell deadening first . Then I put in the delux underlay , which is basically a doubled up version of a single layer , only to find you can't put the seats on the runners , there is not enough room . So I took out one layer , leaving the double layer in the foot wells . It was still very tight to fit the seats , I hope they never have to come out again ! . While I was there Darren fitted a new bolster to the drivers seat (thanks to Chris Fuzzer for the bolster). Then I cleaned and de greased the seat and painted it , so the all the leather is now finished and immaculate . I didn't get round to fitting the new handbrake triangle part there was not enough time , I need to find out how to remove the handle first ?. So the interior is now pretty much sorted apart from the steering wheel which needs to go to the trimmers . It was great to drive the car again with all the interior back in . You cannot beat that VR roar , it just sounds so awesome !.

Edited by robrado974

Pics Rob less text! Your car is one stunning looking machine and the steps you've taken recently need to be shown off :)

Thanks Chris , it took a long time but it looks great.

Hasan, I will get some pics up tonight or Saturday, thanks for the appreciative replies chaps.

Thought i would update my thread . I will get my pics up this saterday of the interior . Ive replaced the two oil senders as they were leaking . Other than general tinkering i havent done much else. Im going to have to do a diy job on the rust bubbles . I have a nasty patch on the roof line by the windscreen seal , one on the rear window just under the seal and one by the rear wiper. I will be looking into prepping these and painting them myself , i just dont have the funds to get it done professionally at the moment .I cant leave it too long , the winter will be here soon and obviously it can only get worse . The summer is not over yet but I'm thinking off taking it off the road . Its only twenty odd quid a month for the tax , but its another twenty quid in the bank .Ive got most of the parts i need to do the front underside , i just need the motivation to start it lol. Ive come so close to selling over the last couple of months, with all the trouble the TSI has brought us . Im still not convinced ive done the right thing by keeping it . The money has gone on the dreaded credit card to pay for the rebuild of the Goof . My head is the sensible part of me, telling me to sell and that you dont need the stress of the debt which is what i should do , but my heart just could not let it go !. Even the Mrs said not to sell , you will begrudge the Goof for it and be unhappy . So for now the VR is staying , it does feel like im living on borrowed time with the car though. Sorry for the moan !.

If the Mrs is letting you keep it, then that's one less worry. She knows you, and what the C means.

Time will tell and I certainly have wanted rid of mine as I've done nothing to it for 2 months.

You'll get through this. Takes a bloody miracle, but somehow we do.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Time for a photo update and a few words The interior is now at the stage that im very happy with , the only part which is not in the pics which i have replaced is the hand break cover .I think they are obselete now so i may have grabbed the last one , i have a habit of getting the last bits !. I say happy , i would really like the steering wheel to be refurbed , but funds are tight and the front underside is more important .Aside from that the interior is just about as good as it gets . So last week i decided to take the car off the road , i have a double drive but no garage , so i have given up the rest of the summer driving so i can get to work on the underside . I really dont want to be in the position of working in the dark wet winter nights on the drive , though if i dont get a move on i will be lol. The front end is nearly all off ,i need to remove the front subframe next . I cannot afford any powdercoating, so i will be prepping and painting myself . I was lucky enough to get hold of a really great condition subrame from a mate a while back , with hardly any rust at all , so it has come up very well when painted . Ive also painted the radiator fan frame and the splitter bar . I hope to get back on it tomorrow and get some more work done .

IMG_1880.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

Rob .

Edited by robrado974

She's looking nice. I feel your pain with the front end off of my car also

Ive got to get on with it now Cressa , the rear underside took ages to get started and finished , there are so many parts stored under the spare bed , wardrobes ect lol. I may replace the rad while im at it , it will be just my luck that i get it all back together and the rad will go two months later . It will be nice to get all the new parts on .

I'm hoping my rad will last a while, just so I get mine on the road, b4 taking it off to sort the engine. ..

We must me mad. Its nice to buy Shiny new parts tho.

Good luck

I know exactly how you feel guys, it'll be worth it once they are done and hopefully it will mean some trouble free motoring for a while .

Interior is looking great Rob 8)

Thanks Easy . While I was taking off the front end , I had a look at the ball joints , they are shot . Yeah it will be nice to get all the new parts on .

Was never a fan of the beige interior in storms but it does look good with the black trim...

Nice work rob.

Good and good tunes on your c90 TDK tapes to play.... :)

Edited by delfinis38

Always another job uncovered when you start delving into it eh Rob! Good work mate and interior looks ace!

Looks great with black trim, those seats looks almost cream, is that the camera white balancing or have you dyed them slightly lighter?