Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

He he loving the state of the floor while this is going on. Makes me feel not so guilty to have a conservatory full of corrado parts :-)

Very nice mate. I toyed with selling the VR for one of these as a more modern alternative but opted for the rotrex instead :) I had a drive of a mates 4motion and didn't feel the driving position was as engaging but it was a nice place to be. I've noticed a grey one is now parked in John Lewis everyday as I walk to work and always stare as I walk past, even with a bit of a round rear end it just has that appeal :) I've also been watching a few vids on you tube recently and I do love the 24v exhaust note :)

What seats did the 4Mo have in it? The Koenig seats go pretty low and the steering wheel has reach and height adjustment, so you can get a good driving position in an R :)

The noise is amazing along with the rather brisk :rolleyes: acceleration

Brisk, yeah, that's the right word! I love the R's short gearing and I reckon if a Corrado VR had similarly closely spaced gears, it would be a lot quicker!

Kevin, i'm sure you know this already but i'd say that the 'Blue or Performance' Haldex controller is one of the best & simplest mods you can do to these, just makes the AWD system actually do some 'real' work...difference from the stock one was like night & day for me. Worth every penny IMHO.

Good work with the new ride, keep the pics coming.

Cheers Alex and long time no speak! Already got a Blue controller, which I managed to aquire for a good price s/hand :)

What's your opinion on HPA's "Competition" controller which keeps the rear wheels engaged under braking? I like the sound of it but it's too much for me at $1100 plus shipping and import clobbering.

Very nice. Saw one just like this the other day- I remember thinking it was the first MKIV R I'd seen in absolutely ages. See quite a few MKV's around. Is the exhaust boomy at all? I remember a couple of the reviews at the time complained about it.

Yeah it is! Very boomy when it's hot. Odd for a factory system as they're normally quiet. It's on my to do list :) There appears to be bugger all sound deadening in the back of these cars, so adding some might help. I wonder if that was a deliberate move by VW to get some more noise into the cabin? Interestingly, mine doesn't bark like Rs normally do. I'll check the exhaust flapper is working!

And yup, the top of the seat clouts the sun visor when you tilt it forward :lol: I don't know what VW were thinking with these seats tbh but they're easily the most comfortable VAG seats I've ever sat in, so I can forgive them!

---------- Post added at 9:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:51 AM ----------

He he loving the state of the floor while this is going on. Makes me feel not so guilty to have a conservatory full of corrado parts :-)

You can't be considered a true enthusiast unless at least one room in the house is full of parts :)

It seems we have similar taste in cars, except for the number of cylinders :)

This is choice I'm faced with every morning...

temporary_zps8ef01b63.jpg

Spooky!

I thought the MK4 was quite a small car overall, but even they make the Corrado look absolutely miniscule!!!

The 4mo had cloth "sport seats" as standard with leather as an option and leather recaros as another option. They were very comfy but not a patch on these.

Great, yet surprising choice Kev.. I wouldn't have put you in a mk4 after the rado. [and was looking forward to a Z3M thread]

I don't know what VW were thinking with these seats tbh but they're easily the most comfortable VAG seats I've ever sat in, so I can forgive them!

Indeed.. I had the Konig K5000's in my Rado and they're epic. If I was half a stone heavier I couldve got in them though! :lol:

46344_10151224793981769_1645477312_n.jpg

The 4mo had cloth "sport seats" as standard with leather as an option and leather recaros as another option. They were very comfy but not a patch on these.

I prefer the look of the leather Recaros if I'm honest, but if I take them out, my car will no longer be an R in a weird kind of way.

Great, yet surprising choice Kev.. I wouldn't have put you in a mk4 after the rado. [and was looking forward to a Z3M thread]

I'm surprised too because a MK4 Golf wasn't even on my radar when looking at other cars. I actually stumbled onto my R32 on the AudiSRS classifieds whilst looking for a B5 RS4! I saw it and wondered why I'd forgotten about the little R as it's a natural progression from a Rado. I'm quietly confident I made the right choice :D Whilst RS4s, M5s and Z3Ms are no doubt far better cars, I dunno, I just wasn't drawn to them in the same way I was to the Golf.

Indeed.. I had the Konig K5000's in my Rado and they're epic. If I was half a stone heavier I couldve got in them though! :lol:

46344_10151224793981769_1645477312_n.jpg

Nice!

They just seem to hold you in all the right places don't they? Zero sliding around in these bad boys! The torso bolsters are mega!

I know what you mean, cars need the right seats. These will hopefully be in my RS soon (with the RS4 blackened).

Out of interest what mpg are you getting or what about mile to a tank as these have bigger tanks than the Mk5?

I know what you mean, cars need the right seats. These will hopefully be in my RS soon (with the RS4 blackened).

Out of interest what mpg are you getting or what about mile to a tank as these have bigger tanks than the Mk5?

Very nice sir!

63 litre tank in the MK4. Currently averaging 27mpg with a mixture of driving styles.

Nice choice there Kev : ))

Sure it will be going faster soon.......

Cheers Laurence :D

Hope your car is doing OK!

I've seen 33 on the rolling average screen, so they can be pretty frugal.

I've got my blue Haldex controller now, so I'll expect the mpg to plummet after fitment :lol:

Hello mate,

I think knowing you, you'll be very pleased with the Blue Controller Kev...especially as we're heading into 'April Showers' time of the year, you notice the difference in the dry but very much more so in the wet.

I've not tried the HPA Competition controller but I am 100% certain that its just the Haldex Race controller re-badged / branded (plus a hefty HPA mark-up)...a few years ago I ran a GB on r32OC for both the 'Performance' & 'Race' controllers

http://www.r32oc.com/topic/1438-haldex-performance-controller-gb-feeler/

At the time we could get them both for the same money (was a very fair price back then)...but to be fair the TT-Shop were really nervous about actually selling the 'Race' controllers, I think from memory the 2 guys who bought them in the GB were both heavily into Track days & Racing their R32's. Everyone else (including me) opted for the 'Performance' controller, tbh I've been very happy with mine!

HTH

Cheers Alex and long time no speak! Already got a Blue controller, which I managed to aquire for a good price s/hand :)

What's your opinion on HPA's "Competition" controller which keeps the rear wheels engaged under braking? I like the sound of it but it's too much for me at $1100 plus shipping and import clobbering.

Hello mate,

I think knowing you, you'll be very pleased with the Blue Controller Kev...especially as we're heading into 'April Showers' time of the year, you notice the difference in the dry but very much more so in the wet.

I've not tried the HPA Competition controller but I am 100% certain that its just the Haldex Race controller re-badged / branded (plus a hefty HPA mark-up)...a few years ago I ran a GB on r32OC for both the 'Performance' & 'Race' controllers

http://www.r32oc.com/topic/1438-haldex-performance-controller-gb-feeler/

At the time we could get them both for the same money (was a very fair price back then)...but to be fair the TT-Shop were really nervous about actually selling the 'Race' controllers, I think from memory the 2 guys who bought them in the GB were both heavily into Track days & Racing their R32's. Everyone else (including me) opted for the 'Performance' controller, tbh I've been very happy with mine!

HTH

Cheers Alex!

Yeah HPA do apply a hefty mark-up don't they! With the Race controller, the rears are engaged more often, so would that shorten the lifespan of the Haldex pump and mehcanicals?

TBH, the standard haldex is already a massive traction advantage over a FWD VW, so I'm looking forward to gettting the controller on :D

so when is it getting a snail fitted then???

Not sure yet Karl. Still researching the best options!

A good choice on an R32. I toyed with buying one of these a few months ago, but instead opted for a B5 S4 (RS4 spec). I've always liked the R32 and remember going to the dealers to find out about them before they were actually available to order. The Phirm look after quite a few of them including a couple of turbo cars and have done a number of Rotrex conversions on Mk4 R32s and on 2.8 4Mo's too. The consensus there seems to be that the Rotrex route is more straight forward and provides some quite astounding results for a relatively simple install, i.e. not messing around with custom downpipes etc. 500hp is relatively easily achievable and makes for a pretty astonishing road car. The 24v head and VVT really do make it a very tunable engine especially in FI mode.

Kevin, I would suspect that yes the Race controller would possible reduce the lifespan of the Haldex kit....will be very interested to hear your opinion on the Performance or Blue controller when you fit it.

Cheers Alex!

Yeah HPA do apply a hefty mark-up don't they! With the Race controller, the rears are engaged more often, so would that shorten the lifespan of the Haldex pump and mehcanicals?

A good choice on an R32. I toyed with buying one of these a few months ago, but instead opted for a B5 S4 (RS4 spec). I've always liked the R32 and remember going to the dealers to find out about them before they were actually available to order. The Phirm look after quite a few of them including a couple of turbo cars and have done a number of Rotrex conversions on Mk4 R32s and on 2.8 4Mo's too. The consensus there seems to be that the Rotrex route is more straight forward and provides some quite astounding results for a relatively simple install, i.e. not messing around with custom downpipes etc. 500hp is relatively easily achievable and makes for a pretty astonishing road car. The 24v head and VVT really do make it a very tunable engine especially in FI mode.

Cheers Charlie. I don't blame you for getting a B5, they're great cars. I very, very nearly went down to Dorset to get a grey RS4 (there are NONE local to me at all) but in the end I just didn't have the kahunas for RS4 ownership :D

Yeah I am warming to the Rotrex idea tbh. The engine in this R seems to be a good one and I'm reluctant to split it at the moment, so I'll probably just start with a Rotrex on standard compression (6psi) which is still good for 350hp I'm led to believe. As you say, 100hp from a relatively simple install. Unlike the VR6, the R32 has plenty of bottom end torque to fill in the gap before the Rotrex kicks in.

Kevin, I would suspect that yes the Race controller would possible reduce the lifespan of the Haldex kit....will be very interested to hear your opinion on the Performance or Blue controller when you fit it.

You'll be the first to know :D

Not much in the way of updates.

Stuck my usual Techtonics exhaust on as they are the best you can get for the money imo!

Img_0003_zps350028c0.jpg

Quite a bit lighter and smaller than the stock system.

Img_0005_zpsf12dccbd.jpg

Perfect fit and finish, as always from techtonics! I also stuck some genuine VW 'ocean' rear lights on whilst I was there :D

Img_0009_zps1185953a.jpg

The exhaust sounds superb! Quieter than stock until you boot it and no motorway droning. Spot on!

Look's good Kev when is the Charger/turbo going to take up residence? There is a storm charged R32 on the loose up these part's 450bhp apparently :shocked!: