daves16v

Corrado Short Shifter

Just fitted mine, no pics I'm afraid as my camera charger seems to be MIA. What can I say...It's awesome! Fitting was fairly straightforward, just a bit fiddly getting everything at the appropriate angle to get the big pin out, but as Dave says in the instructions, persevere and it will come out! Also pleased to discover that the majority of the slop was worn bushes on the old shifter.

Quick spin round the block, didn't require any adjustment at all, was perfect from the get go. Shifting now feels so tight and the distance between gates is just perfect...love it love it love it!! Buy one, you won't be disappointed! :thumbleft:

Looks good. What sort of forward/back reduction does this give guys? Any rough figures in mm?

I had been driving an RX8 for a while with the Corrado off the road, and when I got back in it, I actually thought something had broken, the throw of the Corrado lever felt that long! lol! RX8 is a pretty short shift though it has to be said.

What's the corrado throw? Around 6" at the knob 1st to 2nd? :shrug:

I had been driving an RX8 for a while with the Corrado off the road, and when I got back in it, I actually thought something had broken, the throw of the Corrado lever felt that long! lol! RX8 is a pretty short shift though it has to be said.

I know what you mean - going from the R32 back to the Corrado is the same and as for the brakes . . . . the R32 is like hitting a brick wall!

Looks good. What sort of forward/back reduction does this give guys? Any rough figures in mm?

See my first post.

Chris, glad you're happy and thanks for the feedback.

Sorry Dave, I must have got confused. Is it a 20mm reduction all round then? IE: Forward/back and side to side? I'm interested but I'm wondering if more than 20mm would be a good bet for me, especially forward/back.

I know what you mean - going from the R32 back to the Corrado is the same and as for the brakes . . . . the R32 is like hitting a brick wall!

It just shows how we get used to things I guess lol.

Riley, if it helps any I wondered if 25% would be enough, but to be honest it feels like more. I'd say gate to gate eg 1st to 2nd feels like just over half the distance it used to. This may not be the case mathematically but I'd say the reduction is bob on. Gone is the scramble to get it into gear at high revs now it just clicks up a gear with ease. I'm not too good at describing things I'm afraid(!), but when I got in the Corrado after my 2k3 A3 I had the same thought on how crazy long the throw was, but with this kit it feels absolutely perfect now!

Stick me on the list for one of these please. Not in a desperate rush but if I could get one by the Easter weekend? That would give me four days to curse and swear and skin my knuckles etc.

Side to side throw is the same. I wouldn't want that to be shorter tbh as it's fine as stock, just the forward and back throw that's the problem.

Riley, if it helps any I wondered if 25% would be enough, but to be honest it feels like more. I'd say gate to gate eg 1st to 2nd feels like just over half the distance it used to. This may not be the case mathematically but I'd say the reduction is bob on. Gone is the scramble to get it into gear at high revs now it just clicks up a gear with ease. I'm not too good at describing things I'm afraid(!), but when I got in the Corrado after my 2k3 A3 I had the same thought on how crazy long the throw was, but with this kit it feels absolutely perfect now!

That helps a lot, if it feels like roughly half the distance then that sounds ideal. Thanks mate. :thumbleft:

Will be in touch Daves 16v, just need to sort out a time when I can have a play with the car.

Neil.

It shouldn't take you too long to do. I think it was about 45 minutes between starting the job and standing back with a cup of tea admiring my handiwork!

Guys, I've had a short delay in getting more done but hoping to have some ready this weekend.

Hi Dave,

I've had my corrado a few months, currently converting from 2.0l 16v to 150PD from a mk4 golf, but I'm planning other stuff at the same time, ready to start on once the conversion is complete.

I've got a gear selector from a VR6, do you know if the parts from this fit the one currently fitted to mine, so I could just send you the VR one then swap it into the car?

Also I've seen a few people mention the tunnel repair kit, can't see a separate thread for it so was just wondering what it repairs and if I need it lol

Cheers

Hi Dave,

I've had my corrado a few months, currently converting from 2.0l 16v to 150PD from a mk4 golf, but I'm planning other stuff at the same time, ready to start on once the conversion is complete.

I've got a gear selector from a VR6, do you know if the parts from this fit the one currently fitted to mine, so I could just send you the VR one then swap it into the car?

Also I've seen a few people mention the tunnel repair kit, can't see a separate thread for it so was just wondering what it repairs and if I need it lol

Cheers

Yep straight swap.

See here for the tunnel repair kit - http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?38488-The-annoying-loose-handbrake-tunnel-cover-a-solution!&highlight=tunnel

Think I will be getting one of these once the MOT is done.

Jay

Jay, drop me a PM when you're ready.

Dave

Hi Dave

Picked up from post office yesterday and fitted earlier. Very good guide many thanks

The return one will be in the post Monday

:)

Fuzz... ill give you a pound if you help me with mine. You know I fear spanner work!

---------- Post added at 1:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:29 PM ----------

when I buy one that is......

Fuzz... ill give you a pound if you help me with mine. You know I fear spanner work!

---------- Post added at 1:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:29 PM ----------

when I buy one that is......

No bother my good man :)

Dave very interested in the kit have you got the instructions in a word document or PDF that you can send across via PM just want to see how hard it is before committing?

Hope your doing well fella, will probably see you at some shows this year

Jon

Jon, drop me a PM with your email address. Yeah I hope to get to more shows this year.

Dave

Hi folks, I thought i'd drop by the thread again to vouch for the quality and ease of fitting this kit.

Yes, there is an awkward bit of metal to cut away (simple dremel job, less easy with hacksaw blade in fingers and a needle file) but it is not technically challenging and certainly within reach of anyone who can change engine oil or fit a car stereo.

I took my C out after fitting and it worked straight away, making a huge difference and really tightening up the usually rather ponderous gear change, especially forward and backward.

i've got a little bit of fiddling to do this evening to make sure i'm 100% happy with the alignment, however now I've had the mechanism out and looked at the instruction sheet Dave provided, it's only two bolts to move a little bit so I'm not phased at all.

...so, don't let the cutting job put you off - even I can do it!

Thanks again Dave!