TheHead

Corrado VR6 vs....

Hey guys,

Just not long bought a VR6 (something I've been wanting for years) and I got wondering....

The VR6 is an L-reg (1994) and I wondered if you chaps would have a decent idea of what kind of "modern day" cars would have difficulty in keeping up with this Corrado.

It's a completely standard motor, so no engine upgrades, etc.

Not that I'm intending on some Fast and Furious style street racing, but we've all had some young ned is his tarted up motor goading us on at the traffic lights.....I just thought it'd be good to know what kind of opposition I couldn't have a chance against :D

Cheers guys!

There are alot of modern car's that will give you a hard time up to 80ish best way to find out is go out and drive it. ;)

They are getting on a bit now ,but will still show up a fair few modern cars or at least give them a run for their money. The way I look at it if an expensive merc or BMW races you and you loose don't worry about it , but if you win in a 15/16 year old car worth a few grand it's pie in their face . Also the look on their face is well worth it too (so I've been told) ;)

Lol

Cheers guys - yeah, the VR6 does have a lovely sound to it....and compared to previous motors, this thing does shift very well!

Only had it a week, but some of the looks I've had are amusing - I suspect a lot of folk haven't seen one before (or for a long time) and assume that it's just an old decrepit motor.

Roll on the burger boys and their Astras / Clios / etc! :)

I guess it just really depends on the driver, the day, the conditions and of course the car.

I have little tussles in my VR and been both surprised at its pace on some occasions and disappointed on others. Most disappointing was a modern Mondeo TDCI.. Was rather surprised at its pace up to the speed limit (or there abouts :-) ). Most positive was taking a sharp left corner onto a A road whilst being shadowed by a MK5 Golf GTI. I neatly took the corner and opened the taps and watched my rear view mirror to see the Golf under steer round the corner and gradually drop back despite him clearly trying to keep up :-)

I don't think anyone should buy a Corrado nowadays for their speed. They are very old cars now. But win or lose you'll sound better than the other guy and certainly get there looking cooler :)

I've been side by side off the lights with a mates EP3 Type-R until I decided I was going fast enough!,

and did a Leon Cupra R off the lights up to about 60 when someone pulled out up ahead so had to slow down. That was actually on the way back from National Day and he was 4 up, but I had the missus in with me! :ignore::lol: and luggage in the boot.....

I don't think anyone should buy a Corrado nowadays for their speed. They are very old cars now. But win or lose you'll sound better than the other guy and certainly get there looking cooler :)

^^^^ This.

Focus ST, Civic Type R, Astra GTE, Old men in Scooby STI, all seem similar speeds to the corrado, I think on B-roads its more a case of who is the bravest

I was very dissapointed with my standard VR6 when I first got it. The rusty old D reg 325i I traded in for it felt faster :)

You need to see at least 4000rpm on the tacho otherwise the engine wants to stay in bed watching Homes under the Hammer.

Oh dear, if the vr6 is struggling against modern competition I don't stand much chance in my lowly valves :(

I care not though, I'm happy in the knowledge that my car is the very definition of cool (if a bit stressful wondering what might break every time I drive it lol)

The VR will struggle against a lot of modern multivalve smaller capacity engines. As said, under 4k rpm in standard spec it's on the sluggush side without a schrick or VSR and some new cams. I prefer to cruise nowadays and just watch other druvers admire the car as they drive past, priceless :-)

And how about a 24v instead of a 12v for this conversation?

I'll let you know in a few weeks ;)

On the 12v though I had a play with a guy off a local forum in his mk5 ed30, we were both very surprised with how the VR held up, sub 50 he was clearly quicker but the faster we went (upto about 140bananas) there wasn't much in it at all!

The VR blew up a few weeks later though hahaha

You need to see at least 4000rpm on the tacho otherwise the engine wants to stay in bed watching Homes under the Hammer.

This is exactly why I like the auto box on the VR6es, there aren't many people who'd drop into 1st if you put your foot down when you're doing 20 but the box does it every time! The auto ECU decides whether you're being silly or not (in the late model one without the manual Sport button, at least) and if it decides you're trying to be silly then it will quite happily cane it all the way to the rev limiter. Also, upshifts are crazy fast :D You lose some top end from not having a fifth gear but you normally aren't driving fast enough for that to make a difference.

I've beaten stock R32s off the line at Santa Pod (for the first 20m or so, heh) but my favourite was a nice M3 - I cheated slightly by carrying 15mph into the lights while he had to start from stationary, but he was so surprised he spent the next mile or so six inches from my bumper waving his fist :lol:

Stone

but my favourite was a nice M3 - I cheated slightly by carrying 15mph into the lights while he had to start from stationary, but he was so surprised he spent the next mile or so six inches from my bumper waving his fist :lol:

WTF? That guy seriously needs to invest in some penis enlargement pills :D

I know what you mean about autos though, they can be awesome off the line! The manual VR6 just has gearing that is too tall for it's torque curve. That's why sticking the 3.68 final drive in really wakes them up! Honda Type Rs have the same problem and they have mega short gearing to compensate.

Modern day turbo diesels are very quick. In the mid range my Volvo V50 is very quick and would outpace the Corrado. In the end the Corrado would catch up because its top speed is probably higher.

Maybe it's because I've always had vans ! . But when I get in my Vr it still shocks me at how fast you are going in a very short time . My mrs brother came to ours a while back and let me drive his rs5 , yes it was the quickest car I've ever driven (remember I've only had vans and driven a few mates cars ) but after that we went for a spin in the Vr , his response was "Jesus it's fast !". I don't tend to rag the Vr that much , a quick blast on the straight and I'm happy . It does annoy me when you get Saxos and other boys cars up your arse trying it on , you just think "read the badge on the back you knob , VR6 !!".As if you are going to get any where near it .

Yeah, I have a 150bhp golf mk7 golf GT TDi and for a "warm hatch" it is a very well sorted car. Pulls really well, midrange is awesome and handles really well too. However the Corrado is still quicker by a good way, I've timed it around a local run I do.

The speed in the VR6 is applied very differently to modern cars. If you watch various races onm youtube you'll generally see the other car take the lead and then the VR come back at the end. Most of its power is at the top end.

Corrado's are if they have the right suspension with the right setup hard to catch. On the way back from national day i was cruising in the middle lane of M5 at around 80 when a newer shape TT went past me and the driver gave me a rather shall we say cheeky look (TT driver's "it's not a porsche mate") As that happened i heard a familiar noise which turned out to be an E55 AMG CAB rather smart (no plate TO05AVY) :cool: With a quick check of the surrounding's i had accelerated and ended up in front of said car's in the outside lane.I then pulled back into the centre lane and chilled "point made" the TT driver came past with a disgusted look then the Merc driver came alongside lowered his passenger window "Nice one mate he's a dickhead" with that blasted off with a noise which sounded amazing I think i gave him the gee on too blast the TT.Ok mine is not a VR6 but it show's they are no snail's and as portent say's it's top end power.

You have to keep it above 4k , if you do i find it always wants to go , iv given quite a few thngs a go but tbh id rather have a go in the twisties , see how well people can really drive instead of fannying about on straights , still one of those new big ford people carriers put his foot down past me the other week and man fid that thing shift , it was only the driver though , no family

You cant dis a saxo though i used to run a vts and that thing was immense fun , 65 / 70 in second gear and on the b roads it was a little go kart , in all fairness it was skittish but made it all the more fun , it used to cock a leg aswell , fun cars they are id have another

It's very hit and miss these days. I've beaten Boxters, TT's, MK6 GTI's and a 300ZX. However, I was quite comfotably beaten by a 206 GTI a while back, and modern TDI's on the move are rapid. I blame my faulty cam sensor :lol: