Tempest

CCGB National Day 2014 - all the Details

Hi folks,

Given the first thread somehow went off the rails, I felt it best to start a new one with the first post containing all the details necessary:

On Sunday 25th of May 2014 we're welcome to visit the Cold War Jets Open Day at Bruntingthorpe, where the organisers of this event are expecting around 1000 visitors to come and watch and hear various cold war jets perform high-speed runs up and down the runway. Naturally these visitors are attending for a reason, their interest in fascinating technology of days gone by, and one may assume that the odd few may also have a healthy interest in our cars from an era gone by but an era that was comfortably after the cold war.

This is the late spring bank holiday weekend, and from past years this weekend seems to usually be blessed with nice warm sunny weather, so let´s hope 2014 won't be any different.

Gates for the event typically open at 9:00, first taxi runs start at around 11:00, and the event finishes around 16:00, but can drag on a bit if there are lots of people wanting more jets to do their stuff. As a result of this you can turn up with your Corrado any time between the start and finish times and join the CCGB club stand.

Nearby Leicester will offer shopping opportunities for those wishing to start or end the day with a shopping spree.

Plenty of hotels in the vicinity, Lutterworth, Leicester, if you want to travel from afar. Looking at camping options as of 2/1/2014.

Camping:

Found 3 options (first very basic, 2nd and 3rd for those that need at least a shower):

1. On-site at Bruntingthorpe itself, £5 per tent/car per night. Very basic facilities as in toilets - yes, showers - no; can have BBQs (off the ground only!!!!); can stay both Saturday and Sunday night. Main gate will close from 22:00 onwards, so you can't get off the site after that.

2. Brook Meadow, £14.00 per night per tent. Toilets and showers available. BBQs OK (off the ground). Strict noise policy in that we expect our site to be quiet from 22:00. 9.3 miles or 16 mins away from Bruntingthorpe.

3. Whetstone Gorse, £5.00 per person per night; on-site toilet and shower block 200 yards away from actual tent location. BBQs OK, but off the ground only; 6.9 miles or 15 mins from Bruntingthorpe

Which location, folks? Ideally choose one!

Campers: Please start a list and carry this across when you add your own name, so I can get exact numbers easily for planning purposes.

Nearer to the time there will be a window type sticker that I would like you all to print out and bring with you, and have on display when driving through the gates, so that the event marshals can guide you to the CCGB club stand.

Admittance is £15 for adults, £10 for OAP’s and disabled, with accompanied children under 16 years old free of charge, all payable on the gate on the day.

Keep an eye on the CCGB forum for last minute news on this National Day, but for now, do stick it into your diaries.

Tempest

Edited by Tempest

Liking the sound of that Eric, really different for sure. What would really top it off would be camping on site saturday so we could turn up park the cars and get set up with a BBQ, show sunday (with a few beers through the day while watching the jets) and camp again on sunday night and head home Monday.

Do you reckon this could be a possibility? Make a weekend of it and give people more chance to meet and chat.

Fast jets "Rock". Well done Eric, a very good idea to combine both national day, and an air show to top the day off with.

Being the Bank Holiday w.end, a camping site, beers and bbq sounds a really really good idea. Seeing as its my birthday w.end too, she who wears the trousers can have nothing to whine about! I'll definitely be there regardless, but would be an opportunity missed if we can't get something sorted. Anyone recommend a site close by that could accommodate upstanding members of society such as us??? You live relatively close don't you Eric? Any thoughts? :o

Best not do the key thing in a bowl either or we'll never get home lol!!

Ideally if there is camping on site we wont have to move the cars so makes for the possibility of a few beers during the day of the show.

I'd definitely be up for going to this! Not sure about camping at the moment and my car is very definitely not up to show standards, but I won't let that stop me!

Best not do the key thing in a bowl either or we'll never get home lol!!

We will be in corrado,'s, no guarantee they will work to get us back home anyway lol

Should be good for this too, just need to confirm with the boss!

Would like to attend this, I will hopefully have just got back from Wörthersee in the Golf so we'll see how frazzled I am :lol:

Stone

I'll be there but might not be able to camp as it's close enough to me to bring the family for a change. Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

I'll be there but might not be able to camp as it's close enough to me to bring the family for a change. Looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp camp

:camp::camp::camp::camp::camp:

You must be keen to give it another wash!

You must be keen to give it another wash!

Im not touching it again you was real mucky last time ...... I mean "it" was real mucky last time !! The car was mucky haaaaaa