seanl82

Clarkson in Argentina

I've always loved the Esprit but I think the risks are even higher that with a 928. On balance I'd have the 928 out of the two although I'd always still want the Esprit :)

I want them to do a special with a corrado, i reckon it could manage all that.

We'd all be gutted though if it was a nice one and they trashed it!

My friend bought one about ten years ago. Engine out for spark plugs or something stupid like that.

He had nothing but issues with it, it looked cool but that was about it. They either got very lucky with that one or didn't show up some issues. It looked ace on the OZ wheels.

Get a 928 :)

Tempest

Get a 928 :)

Tempest

Not sure if you've seen it yet or not, but I did have to laugh at the part when the electrics went haywire. I assumed it was something relating to the many many micro controllers you've told me about, but I guess given what had ACTUALLY happened, the way it went wrong was understandable.

Honestly I was amazed at how much punishment those cars took.

My brother in law was Lotus mad and finally got himself an Esprit in the early 90s - was a nightmare of a car! Looked as cool as and was very quick but you name it, it went wrong. They are huge money as well now. I had a quick look through the classifieds while I was watching (as you do) and couldn't believe the money they go for

Indeed the 928 was trashed at the front left suspension where a big loom runs to the ecu. A 928 is not an off-road vehicle, but, hey, for amusement factor TG will do anying ...

Tempest

If them getting attacked was genuine, and I'm still not convinced it was, then fair play to the Argentinians. I know Clarksons an arrogant twat but the way they think they can just rock up, take the **** out of people with "hilarious" bantz and not get pulled on it gets on my tits. But like I say I'm not convinced the whole thing wasn't set up.

Oh and did I mention I'd like to smash Hammonds face in? With a mallet?

I don't think the whole thing was set up, I just think they were a bit naive thinking it wouldn't get that nasty. The number plate was certainly no coincidence and it obvious they've just edited the show to remove "funny" comments about it. I actually enjoyed that special more than any other of them for a long time tbf.

I don't know I'm very cynical about anything like that - press release in October about the attack, bit of an uproar, people desperate to see what happens when the shows aired. Agree about that plate - I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone spotted that car for sale and that's what made the decision to go to Argentina

I didn't really get any feeling that they were over there for a **** take.. it just didn't come across that way at all.

Just read on Rennlist, a Porsche forum in the US, a post by a London 928 chap who like me know the 928 guru in the UK, Paul Anderson:

"Spoke to guru Paul Anderson who apparently knows the car well and claims the registration plates are original and the possibility they could offend was entirely unexpected. He says the car was in excellent condition and didn't deserve its untimely demise. "

There you go ...

Tempest

Although who is to say that with the huge and budget and research capabilities of top gear they didn't track this car down for it's plate. Not beyond them in the slightest. The show with the british sportscars had anagrammed, although rather innocuously, registrations that must at some point be written into the script.

I think it was James May who made the point that Top Gear have, in recent years, done various features on the show involving the armed forces - and that given that the Falklands is still in living memory for a lot of troops, they said it's just an area of conversation they wouldn't dream of going anywhere near especially to satirise it. I really do believe it was just a bad coincidence.

Although who is to say that with the huge and budget and research capabilities of top gear they didn't track this car down for it's plate. Not beyond them in the slightest. The show with the british sportscars had anagrammed, although rather innocuously, registrations that must at some point be written into the script.

Give over.. Tempest is a 928 owner and from what I have seen on here very well clued up regarding 928's

They could have bought the car, noticed the significance of the plate and changed destination?

Give over.. Tempest is a 928 owner and from what I have seen on here very well clued up regarding 928's

Hahaha not to mention the worlds leading authority on numberplates? :lol:

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they had spotted that car and said "Bloody hell look at that - how funny would it be to take that to Argentina" without fully thinking it through.

I take Jims point and yes I agree but it only became an issue when the Argetinians kicked off (if it was indeed genuine).

I guess your missing my point. I'm not questioning Tempest in the slightest.

Didn't know what to make of the Falklands thing in the Patagonia special tbh. It didn't seem faked / deliberate (on the BBC's part) to me, but it was pretty clear the instigators got wind of the filming in advance, and then organised the mob attacks accordingly. The Argentinian police were feckin useless and unsupportive too!

That aside, the show was boring anyway, imo. Didn't have anywhere near the fun factor of their other road trips.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

I don't think the BBC would have deliberately told any civvi organisations of it's visit but it must surely of had to get permission from the authorities and seeing how useless the police were, I wouldn't be surprised if the protesters were tipped off by a sympathiser within the authorities.

All looks genuine to me and I honestly feel that the number plate thing was nothing more than pure coincidence. Top Gear can be aggravating at times, but they aren't completely stupid.