ABV-VR6

My long term VR6 Project

Great work mate - love the handbrake leather cover- looks factory - it should of come with the car - the other most disgusting part of the car is the ignition clam. 

Some excellent work there JF and superb pics too.

Hasan

Edited by fla

Thanks Keyo, I was aiming for factory look and perfect fit, I think I made 8 or 9 prototypes before I was fully happy with it. Not very cost effective 😆

How did I miss the last one, great progress and it's looking fantastic! Really interesting piece on the coil pack, didn't realise this was done with VWMS - definitely one for Keyo and I imagine he's desperately sourcing parts! Lol. Keep it up, looking forward to more updates. 👍

I don't know how you missed it but it's good to hear your feedback mate! Well, I miss wrote it's a Bosch Motorsports and not VWMS. But I can't edit it anymore... Shaun's done it after seeing my post and saw nice improvements from it. Cheers! 

Not much of a huge update but I'm excited! So I'm going to put some pictures of the engine bay which is finally ready to accept my new engine hopefully coming up soon. I don't know how much time I spent on this engine bay but it's a good thing that is was for me... It's a nice feeling to have accomplished this work and be ready, finally! I can't wait for the engine to be ready now and put that car back on the road with a smile on my face. Blood, sweat, tears, money, time and passion! In order: Old engine bay, cleaned engine bay, half of me in my natural habitat the engine bay! Cheers

IMG_20200315_171413349.jpg

IMG_20220208_124445398.jpg

IMG_20220202_111141428.jpg

Thanks guys, much appreciated! I'm just excited to be there and I had to share, cheers! 

Thank you very much Cressa! It's been an addiction, one thing lead to another. When one part is new, the others look aged but also I want to do it all before it goes back on the road and just fine tune it, drive it... 

Another big piece completed. Next the engine which I finally have in my garage after 8 months... I've seriously spent about 35 hours on this transmission. Smoothed the casting marks, clean in and out etc... Lots of work but the result is stunning. It got all new OEM bearings and bushings. New OEM synchro 1 and 2. New gears 1 and 2. All new stainless steel hardware. Billet bushings for the shift bracket. Powder coated brackets. Fully refurbished 02J shift tower. Diesel Geek short shift. A 3.94 R&P was installed along with a 0.75 5th gear. New Wavetrac limited slip with ARP bolt kit. It was a great adventure, a little intimidating at first glance though. Cheers! 

IMG_20200419_132658429_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210518_155829896.jpg

IMG_20210422_172511026.jpg

IMG_20210703_104609132.jpg

IMG_20220323_141852911_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220323_141739462_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220323_141802386_HDR.jpg

That's absolutely astounding work JF.  Did you manage to do all the clearances yourself? 

I'm of the understanding that stainless bolts into alloy castings is a bad idea, when you remove the bolt the thread in the casting comes out with it.

Looks better than new

Thanks to all of you, its nice to share the hard work with people who understands... 

Hasan: that's the part I left to a professional. I don't have all that equipment to measure for the shims, neither a shim stash etc... And you don't want to mess this step up!

Dox: I've heard the same about compatibility when I bought from Nick also based in the UK who sells stainless steel bolt kits for Corrado. But that kit I bought was low grade stainless barely magnetic, and from a reputable company who make kits for engine and transmission. That was for the case, the rest is OEM new from VW. Anyways, I'm going to thrust that it will be fine. 

Wow that looks stunning mate congrats - I wish I had done my vwms casing aqua blasting is it- next door to my yard a little one man band has opened up so I can just take them to work now if needed. 

In regards to the oe bolts amazingly the bolts  are easily obtained and pretty cheap from vag - I got all new bolts for my vwms box. Personally I only use stainless steel bolts into plastic housings as it can make alloy go white salty. 

Edited by Keyo

You know mate, I didn't get it blasted. Mostly a lot of scrubbing with degreaser, pressure wash when the transmission was empty. Then hot tank prior to spray paint with a special paint for the case. Rest is powder coated. Well, there's was a long debate about this stainless in aluminum on the FB Canada group a year ago. I'm not going to change everything all over again, these are to stay and we'll see with time what happens... 

37 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

You know mate, I didn't get it blasted. Mostly a lot of scrubbing with degreaser, pressure wash when the transmission was empty. Then hot tank prior to spray paint with a special paint for the case. Rest is powder coated. Well, there's was a long debate about this stainless in aluminum on the FB Canada group a year ago. I'm not going to change everything all over again, these are to stay and we'll see with time what happens... 

TBH mate  things really apply to a winter driven car- I can imagine you will be only using it in fair weather with no salt so things will be preserved - some patients there hand restoration well done mate. 

Yes I suppose that's true. Yes the car will never see winter or drives in the rain and parked inside. Anti-seize on thread to isolate. I think it should be fine. I'll keep an eye on it and I do have all the original bolts in case... Cheers mate! 

I think you'll be OK. You've got the anti-seize on the threads as well. The gear box has come up a treat, reminds me of the feeling after I did mine. Shame it goes back on the car and ends up getting dirty straight away! The short shifter is interesting, not seen it before. Is it a straight swap?

Interesting you have the bracket that runs from the front of the transmission to the engine mount, mine doesn't have that, but I did notice it in the Bentley manual so I guess it is a N. American feature. Any idea what its purpose is?