daves16v

Back again - Aqua Blue 1995 VR6

Hello all,

I've returned after a 6 year gap with another VR6, this time in Aqua Blue. It needs some TLC but it's a very good base car, with some nice additions. Currently with a knackered fuel pump and a problem with getting power to it (a result of an alarm system removal) so not running at the moment.

Hoping to get it on the road by the end of summer.

Cheers

Dave

20220601_111722.jpg

17 minutes ago, daves16v said:

Hello all,

I've returned after a 6 year gap with another VR6, this time in Aqua Blue. It needs some TLC but it's a very good base car, with some nice additions. Currently with a knackered fuel pump and a problem with getting power to it (a result of an alarm system removal) so not running at the moment.

Hoping to get it on the road by the end of summer.

Cheers

Dave

20220601_111722.jpg

Congratulations on the purchase - I like the sound of nice additions- is this this the grey recaro VR car that was up last week-- has it got something nice hiding in the engine bay to. 

The old recovery services way of getting you home with a fuse box or relay issue was to temporarily wire the pump to the rear tail lights, turn lights on pump runs.

this might help with fault finding?

welcome back, still making shiny stuff?

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

Congratulations on the purchase - I like the sound of nice additions- is this this the grey recaro VR car that was up last week-- has it got something nice hiding in the engine bay to. 

No, it hasn't been publicly advertised.

It has oil/battery gauge pod and audioscape door pods, nothing more special I'm afraid. Fog lights are uncracked though.

32 minutes ago, Dox said:

The old recovery services way of getting you home with a fuse box or relay issue was to temporarily wire the pump to the rear tail lights, turn lights on pump runs.

this might help with fault finding?

welcome back, still making shiny stuff?

Thanks I could try that.

I hadn't bothered with shiny stuff while not owning a Rado, might start up again if there is enough interest. 

Welcome back mate. It seems impossible to stay away from a Corrado but at least you have a good base car. She looks a fine example and is a great colour. 

What made you buy another one? Just curious as I'm sure we all may find ourselves in the sell.....have time and money...... then buy another Corrado 😳😂

12 hours ago, daves16v said:

Thanks I could try that.

I hadn't bothered with shiny stuff while not owning a Rado, might start up again if there is enough interest. 

I'm sure the car will be a stunner with your attention to detail. Lots of Corrado stuff has become obsolete since you sold your last one, it will be great to see your solutions to NLA items.

11 hours ago, Cressa said:

Welcome back mate. It seems impossible to stay away from a Corrado but at least you have a good base car. She looks a fine example and is a great colour. 

What made you buy another one? Just curious as I'm sure we all may find ourselves in the sell.....have time and money...... then buy another Corrado 😳😂

Since selling up 6 years ago I'd lost some love for the Corrado and soon found myself occupied with other things. The last 2 to 3 years I've found myself still occupied with things that needed doing but wasn't particularly exciting and my personal life was suffering. I always had good times tinkering with Corrados and meeting up with other owners so thought why not, I have the time, money and inclination. Let's give it another chance, it was now or never.

There is always something about Corrado's that drags people back😆

Welcome back, looks a good starting point

If you use your car, Corrado ownership is never boring. 
Welcome back. Got to love the aqua blue on a sunny day. 

Thanks for the welcome backs ☺️ 

Where do you guys buy your service parts these days? I see many posts about genuine items being NLA.

Still waiting for a genuine VDO fuel pump to arrive 7 weeks later so got myself just the pump and swapped everything over. Wiring is now sorted too. Its finally running although it sounded like a bag of spanners until it got oil back into the tappets.

20220719_204556.jpg

20220721_175949.jpg

On 6/4/2022 at 10:00 AM, daves16v said:

Thanks for the welcome backs ☺️ 

Where do you guys buy your service parts these days? I see many posts about genuine items being NLA.

I tend to use either Opie Oils or https://www.vwspares.co.uk/

Well done on the pump 🙂

Where di you buy the pump from? I have a vacant swirl pot

I went with Merlin Motorsport in the end rather than a cheap ebay pump. The dead pump is the original with the VAG part number on the side so googled that and it came up on Merlins website listed for Porsche 911 3.6 GT3 amongst other VW's. Paid extra for next day £71 all in, great service and comms from Merlin. Didn't come with seals so look after your old ones. Took about an hour to strip and rebuild, I was being very careful.

4 hours ago, daves16v said:

I went with Merlin Motorsport in the end rather than a cheap ebay pump. The dead pump is the original with the VAG part number on the side so googled that and it came up on Merlins website listed for Porsche 911 3.6 GT3 amongst other VW's. Paid extra for next day £71 all in, great service and comms from Merlin. Didn't come with seals so look after your old ones. Took about an hour to strip and rebuild, I was being very careful.

Good info there, thank you

That looks rather like my magnex, been under there since I bought the car almost 22 years ago and still looks the same…..brilliant addition 👍

Yep fantastic quality and the fit is perfect and was easy to fit too. Bought some new rubber hangers and a couple of Mikalor exhaust clamps. The original was only a pig to remove as I had to lie on my back cutting through it with a hacksaw.

I did give the tailpipe a good buffing before fitting.

20220811_181200.jpg

Edited by daves16v

Front end was looking very tired, car came with a replacement front panel ready powder coated so off came everything else for blasting and powder coating. The slam panel was corroded in places so had this blasted too, it also needed some steel cutting out and replacing. Repainted it looks great. Sorted some slight corrosion on the battery tray and touched up, pleased with this too. Replaced all the coolant plastics and a couple of rubber hoses off the crack pipe, new thermostat and coolant. Refitted with stainless fixings and some stainless hose clamps. Yep it seems the stainless theme has started again as I did with my last VR. I ended up ordering all sorts of clips and fixings. Fog light harnesses are shot so I'm waiting for parts to make up new. Nearly there now with the front end.

20220820_151529.jpg

20220820_151546.jpg

20220910_115046.jpg

20220910_120753.jpg

20221111_174443.jpg

20220821_113951.jpg

It looks fantastic. There has been a lot of time and effort to get it from what it was to what it is, Great work.

I'm sure a lot of Corrado's will have the corrosion hidden away on the lower panel, so it is nice to get it sorted. Will you be putting the stickers back on the slam panel?

And NO way are you leaving that dirty bolt on the rad elbow.....😂😂

I've put lots of effort and money in so far and enjoyed working on it, thank you.

I need to pick up a radiator cover hopefully with the stickers already attached.

Haha yeah I'll be swapping out those bolts, I thought someone might pull me up on those.