davidwort

davidwort's 16v - looking a bit shinier

David? Just want a bit of advice regarding the leds in the door handles. I was thinking of using the power to the leds in the window switches as these are always on with the ignition. Not the right way to go?

David? Just want a bit of advice regarding the leds in the door handles. I was thinking of using the power to the leds in the window switches as these are always on with the ignition. Not the right way to go?

You could, I ended up running another wire to the door as I wanted all the extra lights I was putting in (centre cubby and under dash trays) to come on with the sidelights.

Jim, it's actually a long time since I ran it, over a year I think, that's why I'm a bit concerned, I pulled the plugs out and wound it over by hand, the aux belts were a bit stiff but I know the cambelt and tensionner are recent, so it should be fine, as long as the metering head isn't stuck or something!

New battery from euro car parts for the old valver, £42 delivered from eBay, fantastic price for a 3 year warranty branded battery, packed like it was going on a round the world trip too.

Then I attempted to fit some glass protective film to the front lights, fogs and indicators, it's not as thick as laminex but it's pretty tough stuff and for 8 quid for a 2m roll I thought I'd experiment.

Had to carefully trim the indicator hella logos flat as they stick out slightly in the plastic moulding, but that was fairly easy with a window scraper and some ptfe spray to lubricate the blade.

Have to say I'm very impressed with the outcome, virtually invisible and hopefully will provide a bit of protection.

Well that's a relief, 16v started up fine, mot booked for next week, nice to have her running again, all's good, ran very sweetly and started on second turn of the key, not bad for close to 2 years laid up and last run over a year ago.

Edited by davidwort

I saw those pics and thought "WTF!" Then realised its black and not my old dead valver!

Mine was DBP with Borbet C's mate. Good effort and it looks extremely clean. Testament to the care that has been taken whilst laid up for it to all be good mate. Well done.:thumbleft:

I remember that old girl well. I used to have a Burgundy pearl valver back in 1999, did a ported head, cams, and K-Star. I remember when you ordered that Blue silicone hose to the expansion tank and I got you to order me one too. Picked it up off you at GTI international.

I can't believe you still have that car!

I remember that old girl well. I used to have a Burgundy pearl valver back in 1999, did a ported head, cams, and K-Star. I remember when you ordered that Blue silicone hose to the expansion tank and I got you to order me one too. Picked it up off you at GTI international.

I can't believe you still have that car!

Oh right, yep I remember! And yes, still got the old tub, but to be fair there's not much original, been slacking really, having another Corrado doesn't help time wise :)

Steve, you've sanded and polished the indicators back up? I just assumed they would go cloudy, might have a go then, did you use T-cut after sanding?

David, you really need to use a machine to get decent results when polishing plastics. I did someones Merc headlights a few months back that were very cloudy and yellowed. Went from 1500 grit up to 2500 grit then machined a couple of times, and they came out much much better. No cloudiness or yellowing at all. Bear in mind though that by sanding them you remove any UV protection, so you really need to keep on top of them and protect from then on otherwise they'll go yellow again mate. Same can be done on glass.

heater control bust on the screen/feet flap this morning, Bowden cables are fine and free, I know that from changing the air distribution unit, I have a Passat control panel in there at the moment and can confirm they are as 5h1t as the Corrado ones, thinking of swapping in an early dash now :lol:

Oh lovely. Just the right time of year for heating woes :)

On mine it was caused by the cogged lever attached to the cable popping out of the heater box. It popped back in again OK, but it was quite a sloppy fit. I think I fixed it by shoving a bolt or something through the middle of the cog to spread the clip out further to stop it popping off. It seemed to do the trick and never did it again :)

Oh lovely. Just the right time of year for heating woes :)

On mine it was caused by the cogged lever attached to the cable popping out of the heater box. It popped back in again OK, but it was quite a sloppy fit. I think I fixed it by shoving a bolt or something through the middle of the cog to spread the clip out further to stop it popping off. It seemed to do the trick and never did it again :)

cheers, but I think it's the cammed/slotted section in the centre of the control gear that is cause the problem, it rides around in a circle doing nothing for 3/4 of the rotation of the knob until you get to the screen setting, it then curves abrubtly to move the screen flap cable, this has been getting stiff for ages and the slot itself is worn I think, no amount of white grease seemed to help and yet the bowden cable was easy to move manually once just past the start of the 'cammed' section

very warm feet and a very slow screen clearing this morning :lol: about to go and have a look at it in my lunchtime...

Ahhh OK, it's the heater panel end you've got issues with. Should have known really being a late interior :lol:

Likewise, I just shoved a Passat one in instead, but liking the manual over-ride :)

Yeah, if you like "V71 Flap Positioning Motor" errors in VCDS ;)

You never get rid of Corrado problems when moving onto newer VAGs. You just get slightly different flavours of the same issues :)

right, after totally snapping the heater flap control cogs off their spindle (seems a stiff Bowden cable was the culprit after all) I decided to re-engineer the controls :lol:

the heater flap knob moves two Bowden cables so is under quite a bit of strain and if forced enough (as I discovered) you can snap the peg the bottom cog rotates on.

The peg is just a moulded part of the base of the whole unit an at 5mm diameter I thought I might be able to find something stronger and fit it somehow.

In the end a bolt with a part smooth shank with the head cut off and a notch dremelled out of it in the tip, did the job.

drilled out the broken plastic peg:

11925175764_277cd56182.jpg

Corrado heater control by David0011, on Flickr

bolt fitted in it's place:

11925179894_e47da6a2ac.jpg

top of bolt (new cog spindle) needs a notch cut out for a lug on one of the Bowden cable levers:

11925578816_8c234a5435.jpg

unfortunately I'd already araldited it in place when I realized it needed the notch!

11924708555_f2e55371a6.jpg

anyhow, Dremel to the rescue, crude but enough metal trimmed out for the lever notch to be able to move to the centre position:

11924720675_504473690d.jpg

Edited by davidwort

Yep, 8v has to go, shame as it's been nice to drive and run and I've done a lot to it, but we have a qashqai coming soon and I can't justify or afford to run 4 cars!

Will get some pics and advertise soon.

Shame to hear that, David. Hope the 16v isn't going anywhere though?

I'll have the 16v for ever I think Jim, but it's unfortunately just more sensible to keep the golf for daily running around.